Old 29-10-2014, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside.

In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.

What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.
======
Old 29-10-2014, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:
In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes,
this is the first time that I have seen so many store
bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.

i've never seen that before.

What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist
rough handling with their tougher inner walls have
the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are
consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these
worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.

best to take them back to where you bought them and
then they get to pass along the information to their
suppliers. if they never hear anything from their
customers they will assume things are ok...

songbird
Old 29-10-2014, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
Roy writes:
In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the
first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with
sprouting seeds inside them.

I haven't bought tomatoes for a very long time, so I can't say about
the commercial stuff. But I've had this happen in the garden. I
think it was back when I was growing Celebrity.

--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested
Old 29-10-2014, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:26:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.

What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.
======

It happens at times. No biggie unless it is happening at an alarming
rate for you with tomatoes that are otherwise just reaching their
eating peak.

AND several other things enter into this....are you buying the same
variety of tomatoes time after time and noticing this or are you
buying different sorts? Are you buying them all at the same store/farm
stand?

Boron
Old 30-10-2014, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

This has happened three or four times this summer with store bought "field tomatoes"...Canadian grown. They don't have the varietal name on the tomato.. Usually they don't have an odd taste but these last ones were like eating lettuce veins and tomato combined. Not good.

My brother gave me a raft of home-grown beefsteak type and THEY were great....beats the taste of commercial ones by far...no comparison actually. I'd grow my own but have had some on-going health problems.

===

Old 30-10-2014, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

If they have a product number or SKU sticker, it's worth trotting
that, at least, to the store. This really sounds like a
grower/varietal problem.

My brother gave me a raft of home-grown beefsteak type and THEY were great...beats the taste of commercial ones by far...no comparison actually. I'd grow my own but have had some on-going health problems.

Nothing quite like home grown tomatoes. Sorry you cannot "indulge."

If the weather holds above a hard frost this week as it is supposed to
here in northern NJ, then I will still be picking tomatoes in
November.

Boron

Old 31-10-2014, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.
What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.
======

Several different times last year when I bought tomatoes at
the grocer the seeds were black. It didn't seem a problem
when I ate the tomato at once. When I used some, then
wrapped it in plastic, put it in the fridge for later is when
problems started. A few hours later when the tomato was
removed from the fridge, it had a clear slime on it that was
so disgusting it had to be thrown away.

I haven't seen seeds sprout inside a tomato, yet.

--
Islam is the rabies of religion