Old 25-12-2014, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default all through the gardens

not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

songbird
Old 25-12-2014, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/25/2014 5:43 AM, songbird wrote:
not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

songbird

Not quite right, Tilly got a mouse in the garden this morning and it no
longer stirs. Everyone should have a good Rat Terrier in their garden
supply.
Old 25-12-2014, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/25/2014 10:53 AM, Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

I dunno 'bout that: "Rowdy" caught a fine one this morning. A
perquisite of being such a fine and dandy feline. Field mice and tree
rats come with the territory :-)

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

TYVM indeed. Extending same to you and to all others in the ng

58° cloudy Christmas morning following an evening rain. Joe Pass
on the box. I'm keeping my old ass indoors because everything outside's
still wet and chilly. Garden is sporting peas which should last 'til
the first really-real freeze; mustard greens, collards, garlic, onions,
a handful of carrots, a few standard seasonings and that's about it.
Trying ginger (in a container) for the first time. Still waiting
for the foliage to die in the fall; right. Maybe in January....

I grew ginger in the ground in Louisiana one year, took two years to get
it all out of the ground. Stuff is just as bad as Jerusalem artichoke,
finally had to burn both of them out of the garden. Nowadays I just go
on line every two or three years and buy a big can of prepared ginger
with sugar. Keeps me happy and no extra work.

We had a light frost early this morning, had covered the eggplant and
pepper plants with an old sheet, they seem to be okay.
Old 25-12-2014, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/25/2014 6:43 AM, songbird wrote:
not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

songbird

Something's stirring out there.
They're eating the horrible Christmas cookies someone gave us
Old 26-12-2014, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/25/2014 5:31 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I grew ginger in the ground in Louisiana one year, took two years to get
it all out of the ground. Stuff is just as bad as Jerusalem artichoke,
finally had to burn both of them out of the garden. Nowadays I just go
on line every two or three years and buy a big can of prepared ginger
with sugar. Keeps me happy and no extra work.

We had a light frost early this morning, had covered the eggplant and
pepper plants with an old sheet, they seem to be okay.

Prior experience with ornamental ginger is why I'm growing this in
a container! We use quite a bit of the fresh stuff; the crystallized
ginger (or whatever one calls the product that's all sugary), I get off
the shelf at the supermarket. Not quite as spicy as I'd like but easy
and relatively inexpensive.
My lone eggplant is surviving but not producing. Most years, I can
keep at least one going through the winter but it's never a sure thing.
The peppers are goners, though.

The Roland's ginger I bought from Amazon is spicy as all get out. Get a
gut ache, eat a piece of it, ache is gone. I think it came out of
Thailand, would have to look at can again to be sure.

I grew some ornamental ginger one time because wife wanted it, took over
a forty foot long flower bed. Luckily it was trapped between the
concrete driveway and the house so was easy to eradicate. Don't ever
plant crepe myrtle, you can never get rid of it. G

George

Old 26-12-2014, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/25/2014 1:00 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/25/2014 6:43 AM, songbird wrote:
not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

songbird

Something's stirring out there.
They're eating the horrible Christmas cookies someone gave us

Should have kept them until next year and gifted them back. G
Old 26-12-2014, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

....horrible cookies...
Should have kept them until next year and
gifted them back. G

i crumbled up some "cornbread muffins" which
tasted like soap and gunk from the wrapper they
were baked in. yuck. the worms in the bins
will take care of 'em next time i put the feed
in.

the really funny thing is that all those
fruitcakes that most people hate, i really
like.

songbird
Old 27-12-2014, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/26/2014 4:38 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

...horrible cookies...
Should have kept them until next year and
gifted them back. G

i crumbled up some "cornbread muffins" which
tasted like soap and gunk from the wrapper they
were baked in. yuck. the worms in the bins
will take care of 'em next time i put the feed
in.

the really funny thing is that all those
fruitcakes that most people hate, i really
like.

songbird

I like fruitcake too but person had also given us pumpkin bread, which
like cookies, unfortunately was only good for feeding critters.