Old 06-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Chilli's

Have too many Anaheim plants, about 20 too many.

They will be a decent size in 3 to 4 weeks.
If anyone is interested I'm in Guildford, Surrey.

Rather give them away than throw away.

Brian
Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

tvrchimaera wrote:
Have too many Anaheim plants, about 20 too many.

They will be a decent size in 3 to 4 weeks.
If anyone is interested I'm in Guildford, Surrey.

Rather give them away than throw away.

Brian

I have the opposite , I can't get the d%&@ things to germinate . Do you
use a heating pad of some kind under them ?
Arkansas USA might be a bit far to send those ...
--
Snag

Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Started my plants in a warm dark cupboard indoors.
One above my hot water tank. In UK it is called an airing cupboard.
Not sure if you use same terminology?
No heating pad.

My advice would be to keep plants warm 65F.
But remove immediately when they start to sprout.
If left too long the plants will be all stem.

Brian
Old 13-04-2015, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I started anaheim, jalapeno, wax peppers and a few types of red bells. The anaheim were slow and had a lower germination rate.

For peppers I think a heat source of some kind is a must. This year I got a very basic gardening heat pad and it made all the difference. I put my own 6pack containers inside the cheap trays with clear plastic lids, watered the seeds in good and kept them on the heat mat until I saw the first sprouts. Then I moved them immediately under flourescent grow lights (one warm one cool regular T3 bulb) about 1 inch above the plants, taking the cover off.. Then once the first set of full true leaves are in, start moving them outside every day and eventually into the greenhouse.

I've tried a lot of different ways to start pepper seeds and this is the way I will do it from now on. Too bad there's only one spring every year.

Old 13-04-2015, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/12/2015 11:21 PM, Michael Evangelista wrote:
I started anaheim, jalapeno, wax peppers and a few types of red bells. The anaheim were slow and had a lower germination rate.

For peppers I think a heat source of some kind is a must. This year I got a very basic gardening heat pad and it made all the difference. I put my own 6pack containers inside the cheap trays with clear plastic lids, watered the seeds in good and kept them on the heat mat until I saw the first sprouts. Then I moved them immediately under flourescent grow lights (one warm one cool regular T3 bulb) about 1 inch above the plants, taking the cover off. Then once the first set of full true leaves are in, start moving them outside every day and eventually into the greenhouse.

I've tried a lot of different ways to start pepper seeds and this is the way I will do it from now on. Too bad there's only one spring every year.

I used the same setup for years Michael, worked great all that time. The
shop light I used was on chains so I could raise the light fixture as
the seedlings grew. The rig was in my office and the ceiling fan made
the plants move just enough to build good stalks. Grew sweet chiles, hot
chiles, tomatoes, squash, pretty much everything that went into the
garden that needed to be started. Good luck with your garden.

We had rain off and on from yesterday and it will probably last through
mid-afternoon here or longer. Our garden seems to be jumping up out of
the ground. I do like the rain and the nitrogen it brings out of the air
to our garden. The zucchini plants were starts and have quadrupled in
size with all the rain. Many blooms and even baby zukes showing. All the
sweet chiles, eggplant, and tomatoes are blooming or budding and the
pole beans are climbing. It's a good day in the neighborhood.

Old 13-04-2015, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Sounds like y'all are about 3-4 weeks ahead of us up here on the Ozark
Plateau . I just got my stuff into the ground yesterday and friday . Nothing
wilted yet ... and today we're getting a nice light soaking rain .

--
Snag

Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrchimaera View Post
Started my plants in a warm dark cupboard indoors.
One above my hot water tank. In UK it is called an airing cupboard.
Not sure if you use same terminology?
No heating pad.

My advice would be to keep plants warm 65F.
But remove immediately when they start to sprout.
If left too long the plants will be all stem.

Brian
I'm having the same damn problems! arrgh

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM