Old 14-05-2015, 08:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatillo seed question

Hi All,

I just bought a packet of 30 Tomatillo seeds from
Baker Heirloom Seeds.

I am going to try planting them in little pots with
this wonderful organic potting soil I have. Then
transferring them to the garden after the fear of
freezing weather passes.

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

Many thanks
-T
Old 14-05-2015, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

I just bought a packet of 30 Tomatillo seeds from
Baker Heirloom Seeds.

I am going to try planting them in little pots with
this wonderful organic potting soil I have. Then
transferring them to the garden after the fear of
freezing weather passes.

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

how many plants do you have room for?

how many pots with soil do you have?

what is the germination rate on the package?

if you want a lot of plants and have the pots
use one seed per pot and those that don't germinate
will be empty pots that you can use for something
else. if you need only a few plants then put more
seeds per pot and snip off the weak ones after the
plants get going.

songbird
Old 14-05-2015, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

My default, for fresh commercial seed of an unfamiliar sort, is
around 3 seeds per pot. More if I've heard that the plant type is
hard to start.

--
Drew Lawson So risk all or don't risk anything
You can lose all the same
Old 14-05-2015, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/14/2015 05:23 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

I just bought a packet of 30 Tomatillo seeds from
Baker Heirloom Seeds.

I am going to try planting them in little pots with
this wonderful organic potting soil I have. Then
transferring them to the garden after the fear of
freezing weather passes.

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

how many plants do you have room for?

two to four

how many pots with soil do you have?

about ten

what is the germination rate on the package?

No idea

if you want a lot of plants and have the pots
use one seed per pot and those that don't germinate
will be empty pots that you can use for something
else. if you need only a few plants then put more
seeds per pot and snip off the weak ones after the
plants get going.

songbird

I want two to four plants. Depends on if the local
greenhouse get the purples ones in.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/14/2015 11:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
T writes:

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

My default, for fresh commercial seed of an unfamiliar sort, is
around 3 seeds per pot. More if I've heard that the plant type is
hard to start.

Three it is. Thank you!

I am also trying to grow Pondorosa Pines from seed.
After soaking the seeds, I put about 8 seeds per two pots.
Hopefully, I will get each a least one to grow in each pot.

Old 30-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire England

Quote:
Originally Posted by T[_4_] View Post
Hi All,

I just bought a packet of 30 Tomatillo seeds from
Baker Heirloom Seeds.

I am going to try planting them in little pots with
this wonderful organic potting soil I have. Then
transferring them to the garden after the fear of
freezing weather passes.

Question: how many seeds per pot? Three? Then
prune out the smaller ones?

Many thanks
-T
I am growing tomatillos for the first time. It says on my pack that two plants per household is plenty. I have obviously done more plants from seed in a seed tray initially, transferring to small pots, one per pot and they are doing ok on my windowsill in doors at the moment. I have 4 plants indoors and some more outdoors (transplanted far too many seedlings). It's trial and error for me. I'm going to keep my indoor ones in a while longer as I am in the north UK and its blooming cold and windy up here for some time now. My outdoor ones are suffering even though they are in a greenhouse.

Anyway, good luck with your toms.

tomatillo potting question T[_4_] Edible Gardening 6 09-05-2016 06:16 PM
Tomatillo question T[_4_] Edible Gardening 13 23-05-2015 09:12 PM
Tomatillo question Ook Gardening 20 05-07-2007 02:10 AM
Tomatillo (Physalis ixocarpa) verdict: worth considering Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 08-10-2003 08:10 AM
Tomatillo Recipes - 1 Pasta Sauce & 2 Salsa Verde EV Edible Gardening 2 07-10-2003 01:27 AM