Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Picking

Yesterday afternoon I found another giant zucchini hiding in the garden.
After chasing it down and executing it I washed it and cut both ends off
and sliced it down the middle. Very small seeds, took them out with the
melon baller, tied it shut again with string and put it in the fridge.
This afternoon it will be stuffed with pork sausage, bread crumbs,
chopped onion and garlic chives, and chopped sweet chiles then baked. It
has been a long time since we used this recipe but we are looking
forward to it. May even add a little cooked brown rice to the mix and
lots of spices.

We've had three days of sunshine and everything in the garden is
exploding. Tomatoes are ripening rapidly so we're eating fresh tomatoes
at every meal. Crowder peas are climbing the twine and the two corn
stalks that survived are about three feet tall. Trucker's Favorite can
get up to ten feet tall so I'm waiting to see. Green beans are flowering
again, the lima bean pods are starting to fill up and the eggplants are
going crazy. Picked four more nice Ichiban fruit yesterday and the
American Beauty eggplant fruit is as big as a baseball already. Cukes
are making faster than we can eat them so we're sharing the bounty with
neighbors.

I'm off to see the neurologist this afternoon to see what can be done
with the increasing paralysis on the right side of my body. Probably
nothing but we have good Medicare coverage and are using it.

The figs are getting larger by the day and the two lonely pears are
doing the same. It rained for so long I sort of miss the "tinkle,
tinkle" of rain on the roof vents and Tilly can go outside anytime she
wants. It's a good day in the neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 12:59:09 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

[...]

All of my plants are finally in the ground. The tomatoes are doing
pretty well. Some are blooming Of course I have no idea what is
where. Just wait and be surprised.

Peppers went in next. One variety is blooming and has set some fruit.
Another surprise area. I can tell the cukes, one variety is smaller
than the other. The zukes are in and growing. I stuck markers in
those cages. Just got the acorn and butternut squashes in and the
watermelon. Just hope I can keep the critters out of the stuff. Right
now everything is in cages.

I got no peas this year. Lousy germination and then the squirrel got
to them before they got big enough to eat. The spinach did almost
nothing. The onions are OK but not very big. But that's all right, I
prefer small ones since I don't waste so much.

I am sure I can get most anything else I need from one of the farmers
markets. The market in our little burg is sponsored by the county and
is limited to this county and some people from the adjoining counties.
And the next county has a nice one too. Farther away but usually more
variety. Besides, the Peach Lady comes there, if there any peaches to
sell. Then they bring apples later in the season.

We are finally getting rain, so far not too much. Spoke too soon, it
has started again.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

mushroom picking Pankaj Chopra North Carolina 3 16-06-2003 01:20 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 16-03-2003 11:56 PM
Need help picking a grass Angie Gardening 3 04-03-2003 03:39 PM