Old 13-06-2015, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Can I sky water tiny zukes

Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long
can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 13-06-2015, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long
can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

doesn't powdery mildew is usually show up during
the hot and dry periods? for me that is later in
the season and some years it doesn't happen much at
all. seems to hit the bee balm and some false
sunflowers the worst, but they seem to survive
anyways so i've not done much to fight it.

i don't know what "sky water" means, but i'd
assume you mean watering from overhead? for that
i'd not water in the evening, but instead in the
morning so that the water can evaporate from the
leaves as quickly as possible.

songbird
Old 13-06-2015, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:04:29 -0400, songbird
wrote:

T wrote:
Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long
can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

doesn't powdery mildew is usually show up during
the hot and dry periods? for me that is later in
the season and some years it doesn't happen much at
all. seems to hit the bee balm and some false
sunflowers the worst, but they seem to survive
anyways so i've not done much to fight it.

i don't know what "sky water" means, but i'd
assume you mean watering from overhead? for that
i'd not water in the evening, but instead in the
morning so that the water can evaporate from the
leaves as quickly as possible.

songbird

I have listened to advice for years about when or how to water to
protect from wilt. I just wish someone could convince the clouds
overhead to comply.
Old 14-06-2015, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/13/2015 05:04 AM, songbird wrote:
i don't know what "sky water" means, but i'd
assume you mean watering from overhead?

Hi

You got it right. I meant water falling from above.
Basically, me standing there with a fancy hose nozzle
set on "Shower".

I realize at some point, I have to switch to soaking
the ground.

I got white power mildew something awful. I have presumed
it was from mist from the law sprinklers. This year
I am letting the law die, so no mist.

-T
Old 14-06-2015, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

i don't know what "sky water" means, but i'd
assume you mean watering from overhead?

You got it right. I meant water falling from above.
Basically, me standing there with a fancy hose nozzle
set on "Shower".

when skimming i thought you meant rain, but after
i reread it...

I realize at some point, I have to switch to soaking
the ground.

I got white power mildew something awful. I have presumed
it was from mist from the law sprinklers. This year
I am letting the law die, so no mist.

actually, my comment about "during hot and dry"
periods is wrong, so i would assume your letting
the lawn go is going to help, yes.

if you have trouble getting the water to not
hit the leaves get a longer extension for the hose
which will let you direct the water better without
having to bend over.

songbird

Old 14-06-2015, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/14/2015 04:28 AM, songbird wrote:
if you have trouble getting the water to not
hit the leaves get a longer extension for the hose
which will let you direct the water better without
having to bend over.

Hi Songbird,

Great idea. Just stick the extension under the canopy!

-T
Old 15-06-2015, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:
Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long
can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

I thought you were in Nevada. You're losing a lot of water to
evaporation before it even reaches the ground. What benefit do you
find in delaying the switch to soaking?

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
Old 15-06-2015, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/15/2015 07:09 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
T writes:
Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long
can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

I thought you were in Nevada. You're losing a lot of water to
evaporation before it even reaches the ground. What benefit do you
find in delaying the switch to soaking?

My zukes always die off from white power mildew. I think it
is from the mist from the lawn sprinklers, but I am not
sure. I will find out the season as I am not watering the
lawn anymore. I am a bit paranoid, black thumb and all.
Old 19-06-2015, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/18/2015 09:46 AM, Derald wrote:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02902.html

Hi Derald,

I am reading this over very slowly. Thank you!

Humidity from the lawn may have been the biggest problem.
Due to the bad decomposed sandstone soil, I had to
keep the lawn wet in the summer or it died. Wet as in
your shoes got wet walking on it.

-T

Can I freeze Zukes? Todd[_2_] Gardening 8 21-08-2014 04:42 AM
Zukes ond gender bias Paul M. Cook Gardening 11 07-08-2010 06:14 AM
Gad zukes Paul M. Cook Gardening 2 12-07-2010 10:12 AM
Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 05:39 AM
growing zukes for seed Dawn Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2004 06:06 PM