Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Default What will we have underneath?

I have three potato plants in tubs and the tops are now about 3 ft high with plenty of flowers and the poisonous 'Green Tomatoes'. Does the prolific foliage and flowers on top indicate a massive crop under? ..... (Well no harm in hoping)
Old 06-08-2015, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
mike crowe wrote:

I have three potato plants in tubs and the tops are now about 3 ft high
with plenty of flowers and the poisonous 'Green Tomatoes'. Does the
prolific foliage and flowers on top indicate a massive crop under? .....
(Well no harm in hoping)

Your lower crop would benefit some if you had trimmed off the flowers,
so the plant was not wasting energy on the "green tomatoes" - but given
they are that far along, you might amuse yourself with leaving the ones
that have formed and seeing if you can get any seeds to sprout, and if
the resulting potatoes are worth being a new variety (any from seed will
be new, what's unknown is new good, new indifferent, or new bad - as
with many plant-breeding crapshoots.) Any new/current flowers should be
pinched out for better potato cropping.

If you are curious about the state of the under-crop at present,
consider "grabbling" - literally poking your hands in and harvesting
potatoes without pulling up the whole plant. If you want maximum yield,
rather than new potatoes now, wait. If you want new potatoes now,
grabble.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Thanks for that info. Have duly 'deflowered' the potatoes.

Going for bumper crop.

:-)
Old 14-08-2015, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

What do you mean by "
poisonous 'Green Tomatoes"
Old 14-08-2015, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wawwiz wrote:

What do you mean by "
poisonous 'Green Tomatoes"

Potatoes sometimes (not infrequently) flower. Less frequently, they set
fruit. If you are a potato breeder, this a a good thing, as it's the
only way to do potato breeding and get new varieties, rather than the
clones that everyone else grows from seed potatoes. Those fruit are both
poisonous and similar (looking) to small green tomatoes.

For the rest of us (unless we want to dabble in potato breeding)
removing the flowers is best for potato plant yield, and guarantees no
fruit setting.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike crowe View Post
I have three potato plants in tubs and the tops are now about 3 ft high with plenty of flowers and the poisonous 'Green Tomatoes'. Does the prolific foliage and flowers on top indicate a massive crop under? ..... (Well no harm in hoping)
Well from the spud in one pot, 5lb 14oz + three which were attacked and rotten and from the pot with 2 spuds in, 16lb 0oz. I guess that the tops were reflective to what was going on underground.

.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike crowe View Post
Well from the spud in one pot, 5lb 14oz + three which were attacked and rotten and from the pot with 2 spuds in, 16lb 0oz. I guess that the tops were reflective to what was going on underground.

.
16lb 13oz in the 2 spud pot, just been clearing the rest of the soil out and found a few trying to hide.
.

Jasmine bare underneath Hellyjay United Kingdom 5 02-05-2014 08:46 AM
quincy shouts the conservative underneath hers and solemnly determines Norris Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:26 AM
flood underneath my liner kc Ponds 4 22-04-2005 03:48 PM
elevated deck - gravel underneath? tim Gardening 1 07-10-2003 01:22 PM
Water underneath liner Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 31-03-2003 03:20 PM