Old 31-08-2015, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default consolidation

covering up the far back strawberry patch (it
was either smothering or mowing and getting a
mower back there would be a chore). in trade
we'll add more on to the fenced garden strawberry
patch - there's plenty of space right next to
it where we've been removing bergamot (it was
growing on top of carpeting through the crushed
limestone mulch).

another patch in the fenced garden is also
being redone (it was being taken over by mint and
pennyroyal). as it's a mess and time being done
it's also a good time to remove a pathway and
consolidate the patch with a neighboring already
existing veggie garden. it's much easier for me
to work in larger spaces than the small patches
and a lot less space gets wasted (around edges
and reclaiming the pathway).

many projects ongoing or planned as usual.
we had friends give us an old garden shed which
we had to haul and then take the nails from all
the wood and then we're using it to cover various
places and will be using the better pieces of
wood for around some edges.

spent a few days cleaning inside when i found
some bugs in the extra pantry space Ma uses to
store her baking supplies. ended up tracking it
back to some bags of grain i had stored here in
my room. good rainy day projects. only a few
vagrant beetles showing up now (luckily they
don't fly and they don't bite and they don't
eat everything). sawtoothed grain beetles. very
small too or i'd have noticed them much earlier.
the grain is now out back feeding the birds and
my room is cleaned up a month earlier than i was
planning.

between family events and these impromptu
projects i'm not quite as far ahead on the weeding
as i need to be but i'm almost done with the last
really tough spot and will be able to get the
rest of it done this week... i hope...

weather is supposed to be fairly warm and humid
so i'll be taking it easy out there. sitting on
a pillow in a garden and not moving too fast.
as this patch is right next to the butterfly bush
i have plenty of butterflies and the hummingbirds
dive bombing around.

can't complain overall, the weather has been
pretty good, regular rains, and almost all veggies
have done well this season. i haven't even looked
at the carrots, beets or fennel yet. dry beans
are starting to come in. have a volunteer lined
up for when we start doing the beets. my brother
likes them so much he's said he'd come down to
help us clean and chop...

songbird