Old 25-09-2015, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Whippoorwill peas

Which are a cousin of the Humble Southern Staple Black Eyed Peas , are on
the menu for tonight . Taste pretty good ... These are from the garden ,
grown from seeds acquired at the Ozark Seed Swap last May . I don't recall
if I posted a follow-up to the Red Ripper thread , but they were very good
too . Both varieties will be on my list for next year !
--
Snag

Old 25-09-2015, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Which are a cousin of the Humble Southern Staple Black Eyed Peas ,
are on the menu for tonight . Taste pretty good ... These are from
the garden , grown from seeds acquired at the Ozark Seed Swap last
May . I don't recall if I posted a follow-up to the Red Ripper
thread , but they were very good too . Both varieties will be on my
list for next year !

Man, I'm tellin' ya: You ain't et peas 'til you've had zipper cream
crowders or those wonderful tiny brown conch peas or old timey white
acre crowder peas or.... I didn't save any zipper cream seeds last
time and this year my two most reliable online sources are out;
bummer. I won't be planting more cowpeas 'til February or March,
though, so maybe will come through by then but I'm not optimistic. I
have what are probably the last of pinkeye purple hull peas just
coming in-good thing, too, because the okra's still going strong.
Two later plantings are thriving but I'm afraid cool weather will hit
just as they're coming into enflorescence.

Until just a few months ago I didn't realize how many varieties there are
out there . Puzzles me that the only ones you see on the grocery shelf are
black eyes when there are so many much tastier options . I'm hoping to find
some others next year at the seed swap .

--
Snag

Old 25-09-2015, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Until just a few months ago I didn't realize how many varieties there are
out there . Puzzles me that the only ones you see on the grocery shelf are
black eyes when there are so many much tastier options . I'm hoping to find
some others next year at the seed swap .

when it comes to beans there are many varieties.
the types you are talking about take a fairly long
season and so that means the growing region is
going to be smaller with fewer producers.

each bean variety that is mass marketed would
need it's own packaging and if the size is
different enough from other beans that also means
special equipment to plant/harvest/clean/sort/store
etc. and not all varieties grow out well enough
and have the right characteristics for mass planting
or harvesting (some types shell too easily and
others are very difficult, some rot easily, some
don't grow well in poorer soil or won't grow at all
in clay, etc.)

i don't think there's a huge amount of money in
growing beans and i'd say from what i see that there
is a limited market for new varieties so not much
money is put into developing more of them. i.e. the
market is fairly well saturated.

i have more varieties here than i can ever study
and test and i keep finding more each season.

this year i planted more of the staple varieties
we use the most (red, pinto, lima, yellow eye) to
rebuild stocks from last year's small harvest and
planted out some of the other crosses i've already
found so that i could cook some up to see if they
are worth continuing (at least two look promising).
it's the early harvest time yet so i'm sure more
surprises are in store for me.

songbird
Old 26-09-2015, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Derald wrote:
Man, I'm tellin' ya: You ain't et peas 'til you've had zipper cream
crowders or those wonderful tiny brown conch peas or old timey white
acre crowder peas or....
snip

Until just a few months ago I didn't realize how many varieties
there are out there . Puzzles me that the only ones you see on the
grocery shelf are black eyes when there are so many much tastier
options . I'm hoping to find some others next year at the seed swap .

In my youth, spent in Florida's Tampa Bay area, grocery stores and
vegetable markets generally offered several varieties of fresh, in the
shell, cowpeas ("field peas" or simply "peas" in the South) as well
as of green beans but by the middle 1970's, my family was travelling
to a farmers' market in a nearby smaller town in order to buy "zipper
cream" crowder peas and "silver queen" white corn (maize).
Purely speculatively, I suspect that the mechanized monocropping
and distribution system that places only one variety of crisphead
lettuce, broccoli, yellow squash, grapes, etc. in most grocery stores
in the US limits the widescale distribution of cowpeas to those that
favor large scale mechanized harvesting and processing.
The following is _not_ an endorsement. In fact, one of the vendors
is on my "never again" list but it'll give you an idea of the variety
available to home gardeners:

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/veget...wpeas/?F_All=Y

http://www.southernexposure.com/vege...s-c-3_121.html

http://www.reimerseeds.com/cowpeas_474.aspx

My wife had to shake me out of my trance , the pool of saliva beneath my
chair was getting pretty big ... the only field pea I'd ever tried was
blackeyes , which to me taste much like mud ... I now know there's a wide
variety to try .

--
Snag