Old 20-12-2015, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:10:17 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 12/15/2015 10:55 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 08:15:29 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 12/13/2015 12:22 AM, Je?us wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:14:22 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:28:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that
effect.

IMDB is now another site that wants either your credit card or phone
details to sign up, as I discovered the other day. No thanks...

If you've ever bought anything off of Amazon then they already have that
information.

Does IMDB have account details from Amazon? That sounds rather
unethical...

Yes, Amazon owns IMDB:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database
I would not expect them to share personal account details between the
two though.

You can sign in using an amazon account, a gmail account, a facebook
account, or an account specific to IMDB. I would be very surprised if
there was any internal isolation between the different kinds of
accounts.

Yes, you're most likley right about that. Presumably they have some
sort of disclosure somewhere (not that I am all *that* concerned).

In future I'll use my Amazon login details - not that I really need to
login very often as I rarely post there. Thanks very much for the
great info

I only use IMDB for research and generally don't have to sign in.

Same here, a bit of research and that's about it.

I like
it better for that than I do Wicki. I've had an Amazon Prime account for
many years, seldom ever have a problem other than the USPS losing
shipped items. But, then, they lose my prescription drugs on a regular
basis.

I'm in Australia and have never bought pharmaceuticals online. I
seldom buy much from Amazon these days, but used to buy a lot of music
and DVDs from there 15 years ago. Can't recall losing any shipments
from Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter, come to think of it).
Better go and touch some wood, now that I've said that...

My Medicare provider is ten miles away, generally the meds they send me
make it here. Insulin is delivered by courier and I have to sign for it.
Kelsey-Seybold Medicare Advantage Plan is very good at what they do. The
only five star Medicare Plan in the US of A.

The problem with the U.S. Postal Service is that it is heavily unionized
and the post masters are afraid of the union. I have lived in other
states where the post masters do a good job but the ones here in Harris
County, Texas are a bunch of fraidy cats. I generally have to call the
post mistress about once every three or four months looking for my mail
that I knew was coming. We have learned to ship Christmas presents to
relatives in other states by United Parcel Service, UPS does a good job
of getting things where they're supposed to be. If we ship them USPS
they seem to disappear easily. I suspect there are a lot of postal
carriers that have sticky fingers.

Sheesh. In Australia there is only one real carrier of mail, that
being Australia Post, which is government owned but a large portion of
the business is run by contractors. Aus Post is in it's death throes
and will be privatised soon. I can only imagine the problems that will
bring... Aus Post is far from perfect but I can honestly say I cannot
recall a missing letter or parcel from them in more than 30 years.
Old 20-12-2015, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I've lived in five states of the US and two foreign countries, only have
had a problem with mail here in Harris County, Texas. I can only hope
that the gubmint will sell USPS to someone who knows what they're doing.

Have been to Australia a couple of times when I was flight crew in the
Navy back in late fifties. Some really good beer and pretty women is
about all I can remember except for the accent. G The Aussies I met
thought I spoke funny too.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

It's a very different place now, but we still talk funny
Have a great time over xmas/new years.
Old 22-01-2016, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news
client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

I very rarely use killfiles, even spammers are sometimes amusing,
the only ones I use killfiles on are those with interminable pages of
muslim rubbish.
Old 24-01-2016, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:30:33 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a news
client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

I very rarely use killfiles, even spammers are sometimes amusing,
the only ones I use killfiles on are those with interminable pages of
muslim rubbish.

I've been using mine more and more in the past year, previously it was
limited to serial spammers/kooks but it almost seems like the less ppl
on Usenet over time, the greater the proportion of nutcases, trolls
and google spammers.

Old 26-01-2016, 09:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

Yep. IMO the other people likely left *because* of the arseholes. Ergo
higher arsehole : decent person ratio.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 02-02-2016, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

A lot of ppl also seemed to have moved to 'social media' in place of
Usenet. To me, that's not even remotely a replacement for Usenet.
I like the fact that Usenet is lean and mean, no window dressing or
bloat... and no moderation*. And no one controls it.

*yes, I know there are moderated groups... but who uses them?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:48 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

Agree on all fronts.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

[...]

Pommes and other countries do,we do not

look at uk.legal.moderated, lots of users and has some professional
legal posters, we tried aus.legal.moderated and it flopped.
Suppose it could be part explained by size of population.

My Feelings About Organic EVP MAN Gardening 22 10-02-2011 05:43 PM
Debate Over Plants Having Feelings [email protected] Plant Science 5 31-10-2007 07:58 PM
Do you still get warm and fuzzy feelings from your plants? Warner B Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-04-2005 01:52 PM
Plants feelings Helen United Kingdom 76 25-08-2004 11:52 PM
[IBC] Bpnsai feelings, was/Chye Tan: The Spirit of Bonsai Design Kitsune Miko Bonsai 6 21-01-2004 02:13 AM