Old 23-11-2015, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sauerkraut report,,,

Some months ago I mentioned that was making sauerkraut (first time out
for me.) I like the stuff, but dislike cabbage. As it puttered along, I
had some concern that it might be the case that I liked "commercial
sauerkraut" as opposed to the real thing.

It having been long enough, I find that I like the real thing just fine.

I like the stuff made with red cabbage just as well, plus it's amusing.

While apples may be a traditional addition in some places and seemed
like a great idea, I notice essentially no difference in taste for fully
fermented sauerkraut whether it has apples (about 25% to 75% cabbage) or
does not - which makes me disinclined to put the effort of processing
the apples and the apples themselves into future batches (though I
probably will try carrots in a batch sometime.) There are more useful
things to do with apples and the effort of processing them. They might
make more of a difference for folks that are not really making
sauerkraut (short-time fermenters) but the long-term is needed to get
proper sauerkraut flavor on the cabbage side. Shredding a bit more
cabbage is easier and cheaper.

Next year I may actually grow cabbage and brussels sprouts (I have not
made the experiment yet, but I'm guessing that sprouts will also be
improved to my palate as sauersprouts.)

Old 23-11-2015, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/23/2015 4:48 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
[...]

Watched Alaska the Last Frontier last night. The homesteaders were
making fermented vegetables, looked like cabbage, carrots, and other
root vegetables being shredded and going into the mix. Might be worth a try.

I'm not overly fond of sauerkraut but the wife is, so will probably make
another batch this winter. But, then, it may be the bratwurst she eats
with the kraut vs the kraut itself. She is of German descent on her
father's side but the Limey side pops up occasionally too.

My ancestors mostly ate whatever they could catch or kill so I'm mostly
a meat guy with vegetables as something you eat because the doctor says
so. May be why I have heart disease and strokes but, what the hell, at
my age I figure I don't have a lot of time left anyway. Especially after
smoking for over forty years.

If you like it, do it. I hear on those TV doctor shows that fermented
vegetables are good for you. Why do they never say chocolate and ice
cream are good for you?
Old 24-11-2015, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

If you like it, do it. I hear on those TV doctor shows that fermented
vegetables are good for you. Why do they never say chocolate and ice
cream are good for you?

Well, "they" actually do say that about dark chocolate (and then
backpedal about the sugar that makes it palatable); and I think there
are a lot of pseudo-sciencey claims made for fermented vegetables that
merely raise the background noise (though providing a home-grown source
of vitamin C is a good reason for Alaskans to put some up...If that show
is actually Alaskans in Alaska, given a large lack of reality in reality
shows and doubly for ones about Alaska.)

I do, indeed, make it because I like to eat it. And I'll try carrots
because I think they might end up tasty - but then, I thought that for
apples, and while tasty, they taste much like the cabbage they are with
does at the end, without seeming to change how that tastes much .vs. no
apples.

Sauerkraut Part_No United Kingdom 0 11-09-2010 03:19 PM
water report (WAS: effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?) LM Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
water report (WAS: effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?) LM Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-03-2003 07:08 PM
[IBC] lime deposits on pots -- a report of an experiment Jim Lewis Bonsai 12 25-02-2003 08:06 PM
Rain, rain go away! Damage report from Southern, CA A guy named Emil Roses 2 15-02-2003 07:39 PM