Old 07-12-2015, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default i thought i was done

for the season but some friends had some bags of
stuff to bring over for the gardens. the weather
is holding in a fairly mild spell for a bit and the
ground has not frozen yet so sure why not? it
was nice to do a little digging yesterday to get
it all buried and to say hello to the wormie friends
again.

songbird
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/07/2015 02:57 PM, songbird wrote:
for the season but some friends had some bags of
stuff to bring over for the gardens. the weather
is holding in a fairly mild spell for a bit and the
ground has not frozen yet so sure why not? it
was nice to do a little digging yesterday to get
it all buried and to say hello to the wormie friends
again.

songbird

Oh Songbird! You will never be done. This is an obsession
like trout fishing. As soon it gets too cold outside,
you will be scouring over seed catalogs.

Hope your wormie friends don't get too made at you
for the "cold food" again! Yo can always get even
with them by adding some medical waste (Kale) to the
bin! :-)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/09/2015 02:59 PM, T wrote:
On 12/07/2015 02:57 PM, songbird wrote:
for the season but some friends had some bags of
stuff to bring over for the gardens. the weather
is holding in a fairly mild spell for a bit and the
ground has not frozen yet so sure why not? it
was nice to do a little digging yesterday to get
it all buried and to say hello to the wormie friends
again.

songbird

Oh Songbird! You will never be done. This is an obsession
like trout fishing. As soon it gets too cold outside,
you will be scouring over seed catalogs.

Hope your wormie friends don't get too made at you
for the "cold food" again! Yo can always get even
with them by adding some medical waste (Kale) to the
bin! :-)

And before you know it, you will be nursing/pampering
the poor little dears in little tiny pots trying to get
a jump on the growing season.

You do realize these guys have turned us all into slaves.
"Oh, do you want some more water? There not enough
poop in your soil? Are you warm enough? Are you cool
enough? Do you have enough sunlight? A BUG! A BUG!
A BUG!"

Can't figure out if a smiley face or a frown goes here.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
And before you know it, you will be nursing/pampering
the poor little dears in little tiny pots trying to get
a jump on the growing season.

You do realize these guys have turned us all into slaves.
"Oh, do you want some more water? There not enough
poop in your soil? Are you warm enough? Are you cool
enough? Do you have enough sunlight? A BUG! A BUG!
A BUG!"

you do know that what you write above is not how i
garden? i keep things very simple.

Can't figure out if a smiley face or a frown goes here.

i don't do starts here much at all. no room indoors
and we keep it too cool most of the time anyways. i
wait for the ground to warm up and plant most things
towards the end of May.

songbird
Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/11/2015 08:59 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
And before you know it, you will be nursing/pampering
the poor little dears in little tiny pots trying to get
a jump on the growing season.

You do realize these guys have turned us all into slaves.
"Oh, do you want some more water? There not enough
poop in your soil? Are you warm enough? Are you cool
enough? Do you have enough sunlight? A BUG! A BUG!
A BUG!"

you do know that what you write above is not how i
garden? i keep things very simple.

I was in a stupid mood waiting for something to
download

Can't figure out if a smiley face or a frown goes here.

i don't do starts here much at all. no room indoors
and we keep it too cool most of the time anyways. i
wait for the ground to warm up and plant most things
towards the end of May.

I have started doing the start because I can not plant
outside until the second week of June do to overnight
freezes. Then everything gets killed in October.
The growing season is very short.

I have a black thumb. You are a total inspiration.

-T

Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
T wrote:
And before you know it, you will be nursing/pampering
the poor little dears in little tiny pots trying to get
a jump on the growing season.

You do realize these guys have turned us all into slaves.
"Oh, do you want some more water? There not enough
poop in your soil? Are you warm enough? Are you cool
enough? Do you have enough sunlight? A BUG! A BUG!
A BUG!"

you do know that what you write above is not how i
garden? i keep things very simple.

I was in a stupid mood waiting for something to
download

silly you!

Can't figure out if a smiley face or a frown goes here.

i don't do starts here much at all. no room indoors
and we keep it too cool most of the time anyways. i
wait for the ground to warm up and plant most things
towards the end of May.

I have started doing the start because I can not plant
outside until the second week of June do to overnight
freezes. Then everything gets killed in October.
The growing season is very short.

actually, you've got a few more weeks than i do as we
can get our first frosts in mid-to-late September. we
may plant earlier though.

I have a black thumb. You are a total inspiration.

if you keep brainwashing yourself you may not see it
happen, but learning how to grow things (or at least
practice benevolent neglect) can take some time and
even the best of us have our failures. by far there
are others in this group who know tons more than i do
(i can't identify plants or trees very well for instance
while Pat, David and Fran seem to know plants by their
scientific names at the drop of a hat).

what i lack in complicated nomenclature i try to make
up for in basic things like reading about soil sciences
and looking at what people are doing all over the world
for regenerative and restorative agriculture/gardening.

one recent project i was looking at was the sadhana
haiti project. very inspirational given that down there
is so very difficult.

songbird
Old 12-12-2015, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2015 9:50 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Eat your heart out bird, we're still harvesting eggplant, tomatoes, and
sweet chilies plus harvesting broccoli and about seven different greens.
It's 74F outside and threatening/offering rain. Move south.

George
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Eat your heart out bird, we're still harvesting eggplant, tomatoes, and
sweet chilies plus harvesting broccoli and about seven different greens.
It's 74F outside and threatening/offering rain. Move south.

not likely to happen. Ma's happy here, and i'm
happy here too. besides i enjoy having time off in
the winter to do other things.

songbird
Old 13-12-2015, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2015 6:55 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

It's 74F outside and threatening/offering rain. Move south.

You ain't from around here, is you? Southern folk never never
suggest that a northerner "move south" (unless of course, he has some
swampland for sale)! You belong to be tellin' folks how just plain
awful the weather down here is. Remember the terrible drought followed
by the seemingly endless rain and widespread flooding with people dying
in their cars? _That's_ the story they need to be hearing about Texas
weather. ...sheesh: Old guys; damn....

It takes money to move here to Heaven on Earth, that's what we're after.
I would have never thunk that I would live in a community of 290 homes
with a lot of furriners in them. We have folks from at least ten
different countries and every state in the Union. I'm an old enough
Texian to remember when folks from other states were not really welcome
unless they had money with them. Actually the ones from Spanish speaking
regions are okay, I can understand them. It's the people from Northern
Europe that sound funny. They either speak British, which ain't good
English, or some furrin language with lots of strange sounding stuff in
it. As long as they share their cuisine with us we're fairly happy with
them. I miss our Russian next door neighbors, they went home in January
this year and the wife was an excellent pastry cook. I think I lost some
weight when she left.

If you're really lucky you might grow up to be an "old guy." G
Old 13-12-2015, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2015 04:55 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

It's 74F outside and threatening/offering rain. Move south.

You ain't from around here, is you? Southern folk never never
suggest that a northerner "move south" (unless of course, he has some
swampland for sale)! You belong to be tellin' folks how just plain
awful the weather down here is. Remember the terrible drought followed
by the seemingly endless rain and widespread flooding with people dying
in their cars? _That's_ the story they need to be hearing about Texas
weather. ...sheesh: Old guys; damn....

Don't forget to tell them you can't take a walk on the grass or your
legs will get bit to hell by spiders (chigger) you can't see.

And don't forget to tell them about the six inch long cockroaches
(water bugs).

:-)

Old 13-12-2015, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/12/2015 08:39 PM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

Don't forget to tell them you can't take a walk on the grass or your
legs will get bit to hell by spiders (chigger) you can't see.

AKA "red bugs" among the country cognoscenti.

And don't forget to tell them about the six inch long cockroaches
(water bugs).

And if those don't get'em, there remain the mosquitoes and the seed
ticks. The ticks are seasonal but those other little charmers are
pretty much year 'round.

They'll suck you so dry the government won't have anything left
to take from you!

:-)

What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home necromancer Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:40 PM
What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home Eeyore Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:21 PM
What was first done for the vehicle again is done for the home Brent P Ponds 0 25-12-2007 05:55 PM
[IBC] Benches done John NJ Bonsai 3 01-04-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Location in Yard (was Benches done) John NJ Bonsai 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM