Old 15-12-2015, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain

Had a dry day today so were able to get out in the garden without
getting wet. Just poked around a bit to see how things were going and
the garden is very lush. It should be with all the rain we received
yesterday. Was watching the weather man a little while ago, he said we
have received 67.8 inches of rain this year. Thankfully we didn't get
the nearly seven feet all at once. A couple of rain storms that dumped
at least eighteen inches in 24 hours was enough.

Put up some 4 pints of kumquat marmalade last week, our tree is not
growing much since we put in in 2013. Hopefully we will be able to
change that. I am going to deep fertilize the fruit trees this coming
spring in hopes the roots will go deeper into what passes for soil here.
I do miss the ancient sand dune we lived on in Louisiana, it was covered
with about twenty feet of fertile soil from the forests that grew there
for thousands of years.

We have vacuum bags of sweet chilies, squash, zucchini, etc. plus home
canned green beans and other veggies to carry us through until spring.
Spring here usually starts in late February to early March so it won't
be long until the spring garden goes in.

George
Old 15-12-2015, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

On 12/14/2015 03:31 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Hi George,

Our average rain fall is usually around seven inches.

67.8 inches !??! ¡Ay, caramba!

Do you ever bother to wash your car?

-T

I only have one container of vegis in the freezer from
this years crop. You are in inspiration.
Old 15-12-2015, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

On 12/14/2015 6:44 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Very seldom, it sits out on the garage apron mostly. Once in a while I
have to go out and wash the volcanic ash off of it. Two volcanoes in
Mexico sent a bunch of ash our way this year plus the weather folk say
we got some from Indonesia too. Very light, gray ash, easy to wash away
and the grass likes it.

I live fifty miles from the Gulf of Mexico and we have always gotten
lots of rain here in Southeast Texas. I joined the Navy in 1957 at age
17 and had never seen snow. Got to my duty station in January 1958 in
Maryland and there was snow everywhere. I still hate the nasty stuff, it
ain't natural where I come from. Of course we have a lot of hot days to,
that's why every house in this part of Texas has air conditioning.

Wife and I gardened with our parents and started gardening again just a
short while after our marriage. Come December 26 we will be married and
gardening together for 55 years and we're not tired of either chore yet. G
Old 15-12-2015, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

On 14-Dec-2015, George Shirley wrote:

Wife and I gardened with our parents and started gardening again just a
short while after our marriage. Come December 26 we will be married and
gardening together for 55 years and we're not tired of either chore yet.

Hi George,
Married on Dec. 26th. I'll bet you never forget your anniversary day :-)
John
Old 16-12-2015, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

On 12/15/2015 08:41 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 12/15/2015 9:28 AM, wrote:
On 14-Dec-2015, George Shirley wrote:

Wife and I gardened with our parents and started gardening again just a
short while after our marriage. Come December 26 we will be married and
gardening together for 55 years and we're not tired of either chore yet.

Hi George,
Married on Dec. 26th. I'll bet you never forget your anniversary
day :-)
John

She always reminds me several days in advance. She's got more stuff than
the average woman anyway, I just tell her "here, take this $100 bill and
buy yourself something." I never ask for presents for any occasion since
I have more stuff than I can use anyway. The kids, grands, etc. usually
bring me something to eat or something they made. Best gifts ever.

Mine (41 years now) loves it when I forget. She makes sure and
spring it on at about 2 hours into the day. She loves absolutely
LOVES the "sucking up" I go through after she reminds me.

But, she gives herself away. About five days before our
anniversary she gets an insufferable twinkle in her eye and
spring in her step. I know something is up.

She is a real keeper. Make up for her not coming with
a rifle or a boat for that matter. :-)

Tip: set an alarm in your computer. It will save a lot
of sucking up.

Old 16-12-2015, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

On 12/15/2015 9:28 AM, wrote:
[...]

Most of the time I'm the one who remembers. I just tell her that this is
the day when I was shackled and a lot of women were grieving. She just
gives me that look that says "I don't believe a word you say."