Old 05-03-2016, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default yay California!

T wrote:
It just started raining. The weather radar show a
lot of energy bearing down on us (Norther Nevada)

just glad to see any rain out there at all.
especially heading towards middle and southern CA.

you have things set up on your property to catch
all the rain so it doesn't run off?

songbird
Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 03/04/2016 05:41 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
It just started raining. The weather radar show a
lot of energy bearing down on us (Norther Nevada)

just glad to see any rain out there at all.
especially heading towards middle and southern CA.

you have things set up on your property to catch
all the rain so it doesn't run off?

I have about 100 years or more to catch up with
your skills. :'(

I would just like to grow zucchini!

Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 03/04/2016 04:27 PM, T wrote:
On 03/03/2016 12:26 PM, T wrote:
On 02/29/2016 09:01 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Weather service is saying there is a chance of rain on Saturday.
That could easily change by then

yeah, i tend to not count things until they
arrive as we are in a valley where storms tend
to break up before they get here in the summer.

i was glad to see that they are forecasting
significant rains for CA for this weekend and
so on, but again, we'll have to be patient to
see what actually happens.

a few more inches of rain in the central and
southern parts of the state would be really good
as those reservoirs are the ones most depleted
right now. the northern reservoirs have come
back nicely.

some of the news outlets have been complaining
about the results of the El Nino so far and the
various predictions, but to me each El Nino is
still rare enough that we have a lot to keep
learning.

songbird

NOAA is saying Saturday pretty solid now.

It just started raining. The weather radar show a
lot of energy bearing down on us (Norther Nevada)

Yesterday's storm was rather "warm" as storms go
(maritime tropical).

The temperature is dropping like a rock. Looks
like a Maritime Polar is on its way! (I can't help
myself, I do so love snow!)

So it seems like we are back to tag team.

A few years back, we had monster Maritime Polar come
through and dump a ton of snow. Then it got tagged
with a really warm Maritime Tropical with a snow
level of about 11,000 feet. It melted all the
snow from the previous storm. The effect was
two huge storms a once. Tons of flooding.

It is much better for the first storm to be a
Tropical.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

...Jan 26...
today's report updated to

9,653,802af

...Feb 9...
and now they're up to 11,075,801 acre feet.

...Feb 25...

12,009,924 af. slowed down quite a bit the past
few weeks with very little wet weather, but they
still have a ways to go yet.

....Mar 7...

13,174,697 af (missing one reservoir)

this is not counting today's storms so things will pop
nicely from that over the next few days/weeks with more
still in the forecast.

songbird
Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/7/2016 9:03 PM, songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

...Jan 26...
today's report updated to

9,653,802af

...Feb 9...
and now they're up to 11,075,801 acre feet.

...Feb 25...

12,009,924 af. slowed down quite a bit the past
few weeks with very little wet weather, but they
still have a ways to go yet.

...Mar 7...

13,174,697 af (missing one reservoir)

this is not counting today's storms so things will pop
nicely from that over the next few days/weeks with more
still in the forecast.

songbird

I wish we could send y'all some rain, we're expecting heavy rains today
and for the next several days. I hope it is not like last years spring
rain where we got 18 inches in three days. Heavily overcast out there as
I just went out to check the gardens. We've mostly got our spring garden
planted with minor exceptions.

I'm getting up earlier nowadays since the doctor took me off another
heart med and cut one from three pills a day to half a pill morning and
evening. Also sleeping better since I'm taking a 10 mg Melatonin tablet
at bedtime.

George

Old 09-03-2016, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
I wish we could send y'all some rain, we're expecting heavy rains today
and for the next several days.

the reservoirs added another 300,000af to the totals
in one day. so, yeah, they got a pretty good rain over
most of the state for a change. and the middle and
the south part got some. that is what they really need
is more rain to the south and central parts where the
reservoirs are the most depleted.

I hope it is not like last years spring
rain where we got 18 inches in three days. Heavily overcast out there as
I just went out to check the gardens. We've mostly got our spring garden
planted with minor exceptions.

in spots they say something like 11 inches of rain in
two days.

I'm getting up earlier nowadays since the doctor took me off another
heart med and cut one from three pills a day to half a pill morning and
evening. Also sleeping better since I'm taking a 10 mg Melatonin tablet
at bedtime.

a good night's sleep can make so much difference!
hope you're feeling better?

songbird
Old 09-03-2016, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

you have things set up on your property to catch
all the rain so it doesn't run off?

I have about 100 years or more to catch up with
your skills. :'(

you have a very strange idea of me for sure as
there are others here who have a lot more practical
knowledge...

I would just like to grow zucchini!

see, that right there, i've not grown any of those
here at all, you already have more experience than i
do in that regards.

songbird
Old 09-03-2016, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/8/2016 7:03 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I'll never be a spry youngster anymore but I'm going to bed around 2100
and getting up about 0600 and not needing a nap until mid afternoon.
That beats laying around all day dozing off and drooling. Of course the
dawg misses the naps but it doesn't slow her down, she knows she's old
too. She's snoring on the couch behind my desk and its only 1955 hours.
Tilly Dawg knows how to live right. I am feeling better and am not
dragging my leg as much. When the doc tested me n the 1st of March my BP
was 97 over 60, I felt tired and he almost passed out that I could still
be moving at that BP. He really got worried when I mentioned BP's in the
70 and 80 range one day and almost 300 the next. Heck, I'm used to it,
been having a bad heart since 1986, you do get used to it and learn to
pace yourself. Been left for dead twice in all these years but I'm still
kicking. I've still got great grandbabies to train yet. Someone has to
teach them how to fix things and grow their own food. Their parents are
all busy making a living.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
you have a very strange idea of me for sure as
there are others here who have a lot more practical
knowledge...

heheheh, love this guy's brain:

http://permaculturenews.org/2016/03/...gn-for-living/

i've read his works as best i can and agree with much
of what he writes.

as where i live is a prime example of doing it wrong, but
it was done wrong for a purpose (art and the creation of).
for me to go back and redo this entire site in line with
permie principles would be a vast amount of work and take
a lot of resources. i can paste bits on here or there and
help it out, but a proper design from the start would have
avoided so much... ah well, still love it, with all the
frustrations and defects. it is still home, because Ma is
here and so here am i too.

we saw the first killdeer yesterday when we were out
walking and it was in the mid to high 60s today. spring
is going to be here.

peace and goodnight,

songbird
Old 09-03-2016, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:
[...]

I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree over for
bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized how small it was
.. First one I've ever seen .

--
Snag

Old 09-03-2016, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree over for
bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized how small it was
. First one I've ever seen .

Might have been checking for bugs. Might just be living up (or down) to
its name (I have a bunch of trees with patterns of holes those guys
drill.)

I'm a bit concerned that we might be in for a repeat of a few years
back, when it hit 80°F in early March, and then froze all the
buds/flowers off the fruit trees in late April. Pretty much doodly-squat
for fruit that year.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree
over for bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized
how small it was . First one I've ever seen .

Might have been checking for bugs. Might just be living up (or down)
to its name (I have a bunch of trees with patterns of holes those guys
drill.)

I'm a bit concerned that we might be in for a repeat of a few years
back, when it hit 80°F in early March, and then froze all the
buds/flowers off the fruit trees in late April. Pretty much
doodly-squat for fruit that year.

I hope not ! My peach tree has blossoms starting to swell and open , and
last-frost date is weeks away .

--
Snag

Old 10-03-2016, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

true and a lot of kids are too, but even if they
can get a bit of fond memories for later on when they
slow down they can come back to it. like gardening...
it can be picked up later.

napping is dangerous. i've fought all night to not
take a nap so i can get to sleep at a normal time in
a few minutes.

*scritch the dawg for me*

think my BP is doing ok, don't think i ever felt
over 300, when i was hiking and swimming it was probably
the best. now probably 90 - 110. i know my metabolism
is very efficient when i'm resting.

spring flowers will be out soon, too warm for the rest
of the week and they are already poking up. ground isn't
frozen enough. most the snow is now gone.

looks like the rains are hammering y'alls again... eek!

songbird
Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/9/2016 9:59 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Tilly likes long naps to get ready for bed. I'm trying not to listen to her.

*scritch the dawg for me*

She do like being scratched, mostly around the base of her tail, under
her neck, and on top of her head. She seems to be able to reach
everywhere else. She also likes giving kisses and the great grands seem
to think it's the thing to walk over to Tilly and tell her "gimmie a
smooch" and she religiously does it, which gets giggles.

think my BP is doing ok, don't think i ever felt
over 300, when i was hiking and swimming it was probably
the best. now probably 90 - 110. i know my metabolism
is very efficient when i'm resting.

You're still a kid, wait till old age sets in. You will probably be like
my Mother, still going strong into her eighties, went to sleep and
didn't wake up at 89. When I was a young boy I used to watch her weed
her flower beds. She would pick up a snake, snap it like a whip and take
its head off, then want me to go bury it or throw it in the pond. I'm
not like her, I carry a mean hoe and can chop a poisonous snake's head
at six feet. Much safer for someone who can no longer run. Fortunately
the dawg spots them first and runs them under the fence.

spring flowers will be out soon, too warm for the rest
of the week and they are already poking up. ground isn't
frozen enough. most the snow is now gone.

looks like the rains are hammering y'alls again... eek!

songbird

It's not bad 'bird, coming in squalls, had another one just hit us an
hour ago. Left standing water in the gardens and yard so we have
saturated soil and clay now. Probably going to go on for another two or
three days. That's normal rain in SE Texas, the home of floods,
tornadoes, and hurricanes.

Makes the crazy drivers slow down maybe a mile or two. Saw a notice in
the paper the other day that the main thoroughfare in front of our
subdivision handles over 100,000 vehicles a day. Mostly during the go to
work and go home again times. I believe because I don't get out on the
road until after 0900.

George
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 03/08/2016 05:08 PM, songbird wrote:
you have a very strange idea of me for sure as
there are others here who have a lot more practical
knowledge...

You are being humble. If I was any good at gardening
at all I could be humble too. Not any time soon.

:'(

Early tomatoes, YAY!!! Katra Edible Gardening 0 19-02-2005 09:36 PM
yay, orchids! J Fortuna Orchids 2 02-01-2005 11:02 PM
yay Ruth Shear Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Yay! Rain! Marvin the Martian Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
yay Ruth Shear Texas 0 20-03-2003 05:56 AM