Old 24-12-2015, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New found respect for growing your own vegetables

Wife laid up with knee replacement has had me doing all the shopping for
food.

Cabbage at 98 cents a pound seemed outrageous.

I mentioned it to clerk and he said that is one of the cheap vegetables.

Lettuce, sold by the head, was weighed and actually sells for $1.25 lb.

Bunch of radishes wife wanted for salad also sold by bunch which I
figured was 27 cents per radish.

Astute banker told me the other day that economists have found that the
more food costs, the less people eat, so there is no increase in the
inflation rate because they spend the same for food.

I had been telling this to people as a joke but he was serious.
Old 25-12-2015, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:

Wife laid up with knee replacement has had me doing all the shopping for
food.

Cabbage at 98 cents a pound seemed outrageous.

I mentioned it to clerk and he said that is one of the cheap vegetables.

Lettuce, sold by the head, was weighed and actually sells for $1.25 lb.

Bunch of radishes wife wanted for salad also sold by bunch which I
figured was 27 cents per radish.

all of what you say was what we went through yesterday
when picking up salad fixings for tomorrow's family
gathering.

makes you think a bit about what people did back in
the times when there wasn't easy shipping from the
warm veggie patches around the country and instead
people had to rely upon what they put up for the
winter. i'd bet that a large part of what people
had on hand for the winter were the root crops like
carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, along
with the cabbage family and of course pickles and
other canned or dried foods.

Astute banker told me the other day that economists have found that the
more food costs, the less people eat, so there is no increase in the
inflation rate because they spend the same for food.

I had been telling this to people as a joke but he was serious.

there has been a shift in how many people shop.
i know we have made some changes too as time has gone
on.

tonight we're roasting squash and freezing it.

songbird
Old 25-12-2015, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/24/2015 10:11 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:

[...]

When it comes to calculating inflation I knew the government considers
that if the price of beef went up that you would shift to cheaper stuff
like chicken and not spend as much but not that they would eat less.

Hard to believe that you can get the same vegetables all year long
compared to years ago.