Old 25-02-2016, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what will you do differently?

George Shirley wrote:
Back in the sixties folks used to come out to where we country hicks
lived and dump their no longer loved critters. House was about a quarter
mile from the main road and I was out in the garden when I saw a truck
stop and a dog dumped. Had the binoculars around my neck, no not window
peeping, watching some crows after something about five acres away. Got
the guys license plate number, went into the house, called a deputy
sheriff friend, got the guys address. The dog trotted right up to the
house so put him in my truck and took him home. The home was about six
miles east of us and actually in town. Often wondered what happened when
the dumper got home and found his dog on the porch.

would have been a good one to get on camera!

songbird
Old 25-02-2016, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/25/2016 7:15 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 11:41:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
this year?

i have a bit of brush clearing to do and
perhaps transplanting some trees.

the rest of the gardens are fairly done and
not too much to change now. only one spot
inside the fence will need much work as we've
removed the pathway to combine two smaller
patches. we'll have to redo those edges with
something. the hardest part is already done
(getting the rocks and crushed limestone moved
out of the way).

i'm not sure if this is the light at the end
of the tunnel or not, but this year is looking
good because without having big projects hanging
over my head i'll be doing more weeding and
redoing of existing places.

but i'm not going to say any of this to Ma
because i know there's plenty of other projects
out there to work on if i feel like it... we
could redo the berm and take down the large
white pine tree that is too close to the house
before it becomes even a worse problem than it
already is. shhhh! mums the word...

songbird

I retired at the end of 2015, so this will be my first gardening season where I have enough spare time to keep up with the weeds in the vegetable garden. I also want to give the wild rice another try. I built a couple of small rice paddies downhill from the pond a few years ago but they kept getting overrun with weeds.

Paul

Welcome to retirement Paul, I retired in 2007 from a 47 year career that
I sometimes miss. Where do you live that you have rice paddies? I grew
up in Orange County, Texas amidst rice fields, and worked in them as a
young teen. Even heaved bags of dried rice at the local rice warehouse
for a bit.

What else do you grow?

George in Texas
Old 25-02-2016, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/25/2016 7:47 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Back in the sixties folks used to come out to where we country hicks
lived and dump their no longer loved critters. House was about a quarter
mile from the main road and I was out in the garden when I saw a truck
stop and a dog dumped. Had the binoculars around my neck, no not window
peeping, watching some crows after something about five acres away. Got
the guys license plate number, went into the house, called a deputy
sheriff friend, got the guys address. The dog trotted right up to the
house so put him in my truck and took him home. The home was about six
miles east of us and actually in town. Often wondered what happened when
the dumper got home and found his dog on the porch.

would have been a good one to get on camera!

songbird

In those days our county did not have an animal impoundment. I was just
tired of having to shoot a critter that I had no problems with at the
time and then having to bury them. When you live in the boonies stray
dogs get hungry sooner or later and go after your critters. We had a
commercial rabbitry, chickens, ducks, geese, and a cow and calf. Your
cow quits giving milk when she's been chased all over the pasture.
Sometimes you just have to harden your heart and do what is necessary.

Now that we live in town I can just call the critter catcher and have
them removed and, possibly, adopted by someone that needs love.

George
Old 26-02-2016, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:55:21 AM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

We're in Maryland, about 20 miles north of Baltimore. I don't think regular rice would grow here, but since wild rice grows in Minnesota, it would probably consider our climate mild. My wife is the main gardener. She grows all the basic vegetables and likes to experiment with variations. For example, she's planting six or seven different varieties of garlic this year. I run the tiller when needed and do the heavy lifting. I'm also in charge of the pumpkin patch and growing the cabbages for sauerkraut.

Paul
Old 26-02-2016, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/26/2016 6:24 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

My wife is from St. Mary's Cty, MD, we married there in 1960 and I
brought her to Texas. All I ever saw growing in Southern MD was tobacco
and corn, last trip there there was no tobacco, nor corn. The county's
big job place is the Patuxent River Naval Air Base, where I was
stationed for a couple of years back in the late fifties. The county has
really grown since I was there. The fishing and oysters used to be my
favorite thing there.

Have been through Ballymore several times coming down to the county from
Newport, RI and had several friends in the Navy from there. From what I
see on TV news I would not want to go anywhere near Baltimore these days.

We will be planting our spring garden this weekend. Picked up a couple
of tomato plants yesterday and will be going for the sweet chilies
tomorrow, if we can find the ones we like best. Green peas planted last
fall are fattening up so may get a mess of those. Will harvest the last
of the Swiss chard tomorrow also, then will blanch, drain, freeze on a
bun tray and then vacuum bag for later use. The last of the salad greens
will go into either the composter or the worm house, we shall see. The
fruit trees are budding out and the lilies have started blooming. In our
climate they are generally the first flowers we see in spring.

Good luck with your gardening.

George, off to the stupor market