Old 20-03-2016, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cold and windy

Not me, the weather.

Woke up about 0300 this morning and it was cold, checked the thermometer
and the temperature was at 39F. Had to get another blanket on the bed.

Today the temps are up to 55F and a 20 knot north wind is whistling by,
drops the temperature a good bit so it's cold out even with bright sunshine.

Checked the veggies and all but three of the black crowder pea seeds I
planted are up and growing. Four of six cucumber seeds germinated and
are growing. Should be enough as we will only eat them fresh this year,
we put up so many pickles last year that we won't need anymore this year.

Our pear tree is covered with blossoms and baby pears. If the wind
doesn't blow them off we might actually get our first crop of Tennousi
pears this year.

Spring garden this year is going to be much smaller than last year,
three tomato plants, two sweet chilies, two Ichiban eggplant, and a few
lettuces. The winter kale is still going strong as is the chard. Most of
the herbs we reseeded are up and showing green. Blueberries are blooming
also but the fig hasn't bloomed as yet, a little early for that one.

Nothing much going on today, to chilly for us to be out there and even
Tilly is staying warm under her blanket.

Luckily we didn't get the heavy rains and hail of last week. My home
town of Orange, TX flooded pretty good but not a lot of destruction.
Orange sits alongside the Sabine River just before it hits Lake Sabine,
which is actually a bay of the Gulf. We lived a little further inland
than the city so no flooding in my memory.

George
Old 20-03-2016, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:28:11 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

[...]

I remember being in San Antonio doing some weeding in shorts and tee
shirt. A "blue norther" came thru and I was in the house to get
slacks and long sleeved shirt. Think I actually stayed inside the
house the rest of the day.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 20-03-2016, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

That's Texas Susan, if you don't like the weather wait an hour and it
will change. I particularly dislike a cool morning with heavy rain
followed by 80 to 90F shortly afterward, Not unusual though.

Still have the cool wind blowing at about ten to fifteen knots but lots
of sunshine so it is warming up a bit.