Old 21-03-2016, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Frozen !

There were not a lot of blossoms on the small peach tree , but they're all
covered with ice crystals this morning . Overnight lows were in the mid-20's
, and it looks like we won't gwt any fruit from that tree . I just hope the
rest of the trees (2 pear 2 apple and 3 cherry) haven't sustained any damage
, most of them have started to bud . Mother Nature is so fickle ...
--
Snag

Old 21-03-2016, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/21/2016 8:37 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There were not a lot of blossoms on the small peach tree , but they're all
covered with ice crystals this morning . Overnight lows were in the mid-20's
, and it looks like we won't gwt any fruit from that tree . I just hope the
rest of the trees (2 pear 2 apple and 3 cherry) haven't sustained any damage
, most of them have started to bud . Mother Nature is so fickle ...

We had a light frost this morning on the vehicles, didn't seem to affect
the fruit trees nor the gardens. Another hour or two and I will check
them again. Seems to be warming fast though. Don't think it got below
40F at ground level. We're having weird weather this spring, one day
it's beautiful, almost hot, next day it's a light frost or rain. Who's
messing with the weather, gotta be Ma Nature?

George
Old 21-03-2016, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:37 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There were not a lot of blossoms on the small peach tree , but
they're all covered with ice crystals this morning . Overnight lows
were in the mid-20's , and it looks like we won't gwt any fruit from
that tree . I just hope the rest of the trees (2 pear 2 apple and 3
cherry) haven't sustained any damage , most of them have started to
bud . Mother Nature is so fickle ...

We had a light frost this morning on the vehicles, didn't seem to
affect the fruit trees nor the gardens. Another hour or two and I
will check them again. Seems to be warming fast though. Don't think
it got below 40F at ground level. We're having weird weather this
spring, one day it's beautiful, almost hot, next day it's a light
frost or rain. Who's messing with the weather, gotta be Ma Nature?

George

Gotta be ! Anyway , it appears the blossoms sustained no damage , much to
my surprise . I'd have to go out to the shop and check for the exact
overnight low , but it was definitely in the mid 20's .

--
Snag

Old 21-03-2016, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/21/2016 4:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

The pear blossoms were not touched. Looking good so far. The rest of the
garden has not been bothered either. Must have just been a light frost
on the vehicles, didn't see any on the roof tops either. Phew!!

Last year we lost the entire pear crop, both pears, in a strong
windstorm. Hoping we get pears this year as I have yet to eat a Tennousi
pear.

George
Old 22-03-2016, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Most of these trees were planted in the summer of 2014 , they haven't grown
much . They are looking better this year , except the dwarf North Star
cherry , it looks to have sustained some damage over winter .The Red Haven
peach has a few dead twigs too . On the advice of the nursery girl I haven't
fertilized , this year they will be .

--
Snag

Old 22-03-2016, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I pruned the pear earlier this month, concentrating on the "rain" limbs
and crossing limbs. Mostly to open the interior for more sunshine.
Appears to have worked as there are many blooms on the inside. Did
somewhat the same for the kumquat and found one limb growing below the
graft. Those always have to go as citrus here are grafted onto native
wild oranges as they grow much better here than the original roots do.

The last two years the pear hardly bloomed at all and, if it did, a late
frost got them. That was the two pear year in 2015 when the wind got
them. It appears we are the only folks growing edible fruit other than
the neighbor catty cornered across the street who has bananas, which
will sometimes bear but haven't since we moved here. We also have five
avocado's coming up along the back fence where wife planted them. Now we
have to determine their sex and kill all but one male. G

It has been a long day for this ol' geezer, I'm headed for bed shortly.

George
Old 22-03-2016, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Been a long one here too . I spent most of my day setting support columns
for the kitchen into concrete . That's almost as much work as digging the
holes ...
--
Snag

Frozen Flourish Cichlidiot Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 07:11 AM
Moving roses when the ground is frozen ?? Trevor Ylisaari Roses 0 15-03-2003 02:08 AM
frozen pipes Drew Lovasi Ponds 4 16-02-2003 06:51 AM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 06-02-2003 12:40 AM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 06:10 PM