Old 26-04-2016, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

T wrote:
There is a huge debate around these parts that zukes do
better without mounds. So far the flat earth crown is
winning with a higher yield. What are your thoughts?

i don't grow them. if you have a hot
climate and no wind break then they will likely
do better down lower. if your soil is rock
hard and has no water holding capacity and i
don't know how deep your soil is that you're
planting into... well, it's not something i
can say much for sure.

if it is all sand, add some clay and organic
materials. you don't need much clay for it to
help.

Also, in my garage, I was going to pot my tomatillos
and zukes next week. We will have freezing nights
still till June. So I put my little pots over by
my garage windows and take them out side during the
warmth of the day (~65-75F), then take them back in a
night. Your thoughts?

we usually get our plants in the middle of May and
plant shortly after that. so sounds ok as long as you
remember to bring them in if there is danger of cold
overnight.

songbird
Old 26-04-2016, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I am told by someone to use "Canadian Peatmoss" to
acidify the soil quickly.

Also, the "someone" said my alkaline sold is hurting my
zuke production too. You thoughts?

powdered sulfur sprinkled on any organic
materials will help, but organic materials alone
should also moderate alkalinity as long as you
have a decent water source.

songbird
Old 26-04-2016, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/25/2016 09:28 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

Old 26-04-2016, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/25/2016 11:28 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Ours was planted in mid-march, green tomatoes on the bushes about the
size of a baby's fist, sweet chillies about six inches long, baby cukes
on the vines, figs are the size of the end of my little finger and the
pears are about three quarters of an inch in diameter. Move south. G

George
Old 27-04-2016, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

you do understand that without plants we'd not
be here right? we are dependent upon them, along
with the bacteria, virii, fungi, etc.

songbird

Old 30-04-2016, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/27/2016 07:09 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

you do understand that without plants we'd not
be here right? we are dependent upon them, along
with the bacteria, virii, fungi, etc.

songbird

True. We are going to have a rude awakening when we try to
farm in space or other planets/moons. We should have a
functioning moon colony before we ever try colonizing Mars.
Our dependence on the above is overwhelming and mostly
out of our current understanding.

So, in the mean time, "Water me! Prune! Too Much
Sun! I am too cold! Pick those bugs off me!" And we
will all continue saying "yes master".