Old 28-05-2016, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Surplus Gypsum

I needed five tablespoons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) for a mushroom spawn project so I went to the feed store. I couldn't find a small bag or box on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50-pound bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of use for gypsum, other than breaking up clay soil for better drainage, which isn't a problem for us. I guess I could just spread it around the pasture, figuring that the calcium will eventually get into the grass, which will give my sheep stronger bones when they eat it.

Any novel ideas of what to do with 49.99 pounds of pelletized gypsum?

Paul
Old 28-05-2016, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/27/2016 9:51 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I needed five tablespoons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) for a mushroom spawn project so I went to the feed store. I couldn't find a small bag or box on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50-pound bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of use for gypsum, other than breaking up clay soil for better drainage, which isn't a problem for us. I guess I could just spread it around the pasture, figuring that the calcium will eventually get into the grass, which will give my sheep stronger bones when they eat it.

Any novel ideas of what to do with 49.99 pounds of pelletized gypsum?

Paul

Get yourself one of those seed slingers at a big box store. I bought one
years ago and use it to sling pelleted gypsum on the lawn. Our home was
built on clay with a two inch layer of sand. Builder did this to avoid
the Federal flood insurance.

Putting the gypsum out takes some time to break down the clay. We did
that on a lot in Corpus Christi, TX back in the late seventies and it
worked over a several year span. If I remember correctly we did it once
a month and watered heavily.

George
Old 28-05-2016, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
I needed five tablespoons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) for a mushroom spawn project so I went to the feed store. I couldn't find a small bag or box on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50-pound bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.

keep a few lbs in a container in case you need it
in the future. otherwise, yep, spread it around,
calcium and sulfur are usually appreciated by plants.
if the topsoil has been grazed and animals removed
then it probably wouldn't hurt at all.

songbird
Old 28-05-2016, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:08:58 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I needed five tablespoons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) for a mushroom spawn project so I went to the feed store. I couldn't find a small bag or box on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50-pound bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.

keep a few lbs in a container in case you need it
in the future. otherwise, yep, spread it around,
calcium and sulfur are usually appreciated by plants.
if the topsoil has been grazed and animals removed
then it probably wouldn't hurt at all.

songbird

They're moving to the north pastures in a couple of days for the month of June. I can spread the gypsum on the south pastures in early June and the rains should wash it in by the time I move them back in July.

Paul

Surplus Runner Beans. p. pleater United Kingdom 6 14-09-2006 02:59 PM
I've got a surplus of Walnut trees again? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 12 02-08-2006 11:32 PM
Surplus pots... Jim United Kingdom 9 14-10-2003 01:02 PM
Surplus pea query Paul England United Kingdom 3 18-07-2003 10:27 PM
surplus tech gear mhagen alt.forestry 19 13-03-2003 03:08 AM