Old 04-06-2016, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mo' Rain

Another 1.4 inches of rain overnight and it's drizzling this morning. I
would worry about alligator's coming into the pond behind us but I
expect all the turtles would eat them. G

We're picking squash, peppers, etc. on a daily basis now. The plants are
getting so much water they're super producing. Looks like another small
batch of crowder peas about ready to pick. I've entwined the runners so
much the twelve feet of crowder peas looks like a green fence with
purple flowers painted on it. A little sunshine would be a big help.

George, with wet feet
Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

Another 1.4 inches of rain overnight and it's drizzling this morning. I
would worry about alligator's coming into the pond behind us but I
expect all the turtles would eat them. G

we finally got some rain last night! more in the
forecast today and for the next four days, but i will
believe it when i see it falling...

We're picking squash, peppers, etc. on a daily basis now. The plants are
getting so much water they're super producing. Looks like another small
batch of crowder peas about ready to pick. I've entwined the runners so
much the twelve feet of crowder peas looks like a green fence with
purple flowers painted on it. A little sunshine would be a big help.

other than strawberries i've not picked anything.
still planting. got the cucumbers in yesterday after
i watered and picked strawberries.

all the veggie plants from the greenhouse are now
planted so everything left to do is seeds.

most of my work for planting things i want to
fertilize is getting the worm buckets out to the
gardens, and then getting that down underneath
what i want to plant. with the soil being fairly
dry i might have to water a few days beforehand
otherwise the clay can be pretty hard to break
apart enough.

i use a square shovel to turn a trench, then
use a four pronged rake to break up the clods,
then scoup out enough of that so i have a nice
flat trench six to eight inches deep (depending
upon what i'm planting), then i take a worm
bucket and use 1/4-1/2 and put that in the trench.
some plants will go right into the worms and then
get covered and firmed a little. others might
go up an inch or two depending upon how their
roots grow.

tomatoes don't get trenches. i use holes.
most the time we plant tomatoes in new gardens
the first season, so i don't need to amend them
for fertility. then the second season they can
go in on top of any place where i've been putting
worms down the previous year. that usually is
plenty of fertility for them.

George, with wet feet

me with red fingers from strawberries. put
three pints of crushed berries in the freezer
last night and we also had some over frosted
cinamon rolls (i wasn't in the mood to make
shortcakes).

songbird