Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default High school reunion

We drove over to Orangefield, Texas this morning and back this
afternoon. The High School has an annual reunion for all years on the
second Saturday in June each year and today was the day.

The organizers order up the smoked brisket and the rest of us bring a a
dish or two. Lots of good home made grub and a lot of it from home
gardens. We took lemon chess pie and a big tray of freshly picked,
peeled, and sliced sweet chilies and cucumbers. None came home with us
for some reason.

In my class there were two, my best friend, a girl, from high school
days and, no, we never dated, just have been lifelong friends and she
befriended my wife the day they met in 1961. Neither of us have any idea
where the other 30 graduates in our class went. We know several didn't
come home from Vietnam alive but the rest have just moved elsewhere over
the years.

The eldest graduate was from the class of 1939, my birth year. Figure it
out, I will be 77 in September and this guy graduated before I was born.
He had to be at least 17 when he graduated, I don't know if I want to
live to be 97.

Met some "kids" from the few years behind me, mostly women or, should I
say, widows mostly and we had a nice chat. Something like, "How was your
life, how many grands and great grands do you have." One gal trumped us,
she has twelve great grands but she also had more than two children. She
won. G

We drove over in a long two hour drive with thunderstorms dropping rain
on us. Came home with sunshine and, as soon as we turned into our
subdivision, the bottom fell out for about ten minutes. At least the
gardens go watered well and we had a good time.

George
Old 13-06-2016, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
We drove over in a long two hour drive with thunderstorms dropping rain
on us. Came home with sunshine and, as soon as we turned into our
subdivision, the bottom fell out for about ten minutes. At least the
gardens go watered well and we had a good time.

sounds great George, i have not returned to any of my
HS events since i left, not that i hated all the people,
but it was a place i was glad to move on from when i
went off to college.

glad you got some rains, we're still very short on rain
here. none of the past few storms have actually made it
to us. i was hopeful the other night when there was what
looked to be a strong storm coming at us. went to sleep
with it about an hour away, expecting to wake up with
everything watered for a change. nope...

again today, storms to the north of us, but no rain in
the forecast. next chances wed-thu... we'll see... going
out to water soon. then pick strawberries. some friends
may come by and pick, but i may just do it for them so i
can water.

i think everything planted is doing ok so far, but i am
behind on further planting.

songbird
Old 13-06-2016, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/13/2016 7:17 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Reunions can be fun or boring. I've been to both.
My Catholic all boys high school has been holding an annual lunch for
the past few years for guys only. Fun but sad to see those in wheel
chairs etc. Wife went to my 25th many years ago and could not
understand why I did not remember a lot of these guys. Problem was,
e.g. that the skinny little guy with black hair was now a fat little
bald guy with a mustache. Wife never went to hers but when she saw a
picture of one said she could not place these people.

50th college, stunk, college was a PITA making major effort to get
donations for the college. I figure I spent today's equivalent, a
quarter mil to educate my three sons there and that was enough.
Class photo was a joke. They hired a professional photographer but only
gave us a 4X6 photo. HS for our little outing gives 8X11 with far less
people at lower cost.

Rains enough here on the east coast that I seldom have to water
anything. Wife says toilets look cleaner as aquifer is getting plenty
of replenishment. 1st tomato about 1 inch.
Old 13-06-2016, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/13/2016 8:02 AM, Frank wrote:

Reunions can be fun or boring. I've been to both.
My Catholic all boys high school has been holding an annual lunch for
the past few years for guys only. Fun but sad to see those in wheel
chairs etc. Wife went to my 25th many years ago and could not
understand why I did not remember a lot of these guys. Problem was,
e.g. that the skinny little guy with black hair was now a fat little
bald guy with a mustache. Wife never went to hers but when she saw a
picture of one said she could not place these people.

Our class of 1957 was 32 people, mostly men. Most of the men are gone
now and I have seen very few of the women come to the reunions. I guess
59 years down the road not only our class has gone mostly but some of
the younger ones have too. Some of the classes behind us were prime meat
for Vietnam, even going back to kids who were in grade school when I
graduated. I was lucky, got in, got out before 'Nam. Also lucky in
getting recalled to active reserves when the Cuban missile crisis came
along. They kept me to my get out date in June 1963 and, Lo! a few years
later the Vietnam Veteran GI bill came along. If you served one day
active duty in '63 you got the bill. I took it up and made enough money
off the bill plus my wages at the chemical plant and from my gunsmith
shop that wife got her last two years in. That's pure luck.

50th college, stunk, college was a PITA making major effort to get
donations for the college. I figure I spent today's equivalent, a
quarter mil to educate my three sons there and that was enough.
Class photo was a joke. They hired a professional photographer but only
gave us a 4X6 photo. HS for our little outing gives 8X11 with far less
people at lower cost.

I loved college, started in 1971 at age 32 and managed to graduate in
1976, had to lay out a while when I had Hep A that knocked me down.

Rains enough here on the east coast that I seldom have to water
anything. Wife says toilets look cleaner as aquifer is getting plenty
of replenishment. 1st tomato about 1 inch.

Wife's siblings are in Maryland, they complain of not enough rain too.
It rained .91 inches today and more for the rest of the next two weeks.
I am so grateful we picked out a house when we moved here that is high
and dry.

George

Old 13-06-2016, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/13/2016 1:14 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I got deferments, not because I did not like what our country was doing,
but to pursue my education as a chemist. College freshman class had a
high predominance of Korean vets. One of my best friends was one. He
got drafted in the army and as a Greek Catholic they figured they would
make him a cook and sent him to cooking school and by the time he
finished the war was over. Almost went into national guard but there was
a summer camp requirement and I had to work to pay for college. Friend
had to go in during the Berlin crisis.

I live on a hillside where there is no danger of flood damage. Some at
the bottom of the hill have gotten it from creeks overflowing.

Maryland is only a few miles away but is spread out enough that rain is
different in different areas.

high school teacher question Richard Kurtz Plant Biology 0 13-08-2009 05:39 PM
Orchid Safari reunion Steve Orchids 0 01-04-2006 04:24 AM
Bonsai for a Hobbit Hole, high school [email protected] Bonsai 1 26-09-2005 06:11 PM
[IBC] Bonsai for a Hobbit Hole, high school Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 26-09-2005 12:43 AM
question from a high school teacher [email protected] Plant Biology 0 12-07-2003 04:32 PM