Old 26-06-2016, 10:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When to pick garlic?

Hi All,

First I picked off sprits from my garlic (yummy!). Now all of the
tops have slowly died. Is it time to harvest?

Does garlic require much water?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 26-06-2016, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

First I picked off sprits from my garlic (yummy!). Now all of the
tops have slowly died. Is it time to harvest?

when the leaves have started to die back,
but before they all have. if you wait too
long the tunic on the bottom starts to
degrade. it's not a big issue if you are
just keeping it for yourself, but it is
nicer to have a good tunic for storage.

Does garlic require much water?

i keep it regularly watered up until
the last few weeks.

songbird

Old 28-06-2016, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

T wrote:

First I picked off sprits from my garlic (yummy!). Now all of the
tops have slowly died. Is it time to harvest?

when the leaves have started to die back,
but before they all have. if you wait too
long the tunic on the bottom starts to
degrade. it's not a big issue if you are
just keeping it for yourself, but it is
nicer to have a good tunic for storage.

Does garlic require much water?

i keep it regularly watered up until
the last few weeks.

songbird

In my climate (new england) it's usually 6 weeks or so from scapes (I
need to cut them soon) to harvest. I used to wait too long and let the
whole plant go brown - and I never had decent wrappers. I now try to
harvest with at least 4 leaves still green, and I have better wrappers.
Dry in shade for a while after harvest. We are not much for irrigation
(though I'll have to step that up if tomorrow's rains don't come - today
there was a rain hole in the big line that passed over, so we got
nothing), but you're in a desert climate and probably need to - "evenly
moist" is a goal up until the last couple of weeks.

Old 28-06-2016, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/27/2016 04:36 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

T wrote:

[...]

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2008 12:54 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 12:31 PM
When to pick garlic? Frank Edible Gardening 11 29-07-2007 12:29 AM
when to pick zane z mckay Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM
When are they ready to pick? Paul Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:33 AM