Old 28-06-2016, 09:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic: when to replant?

Hi All,

I am about to pick my garlic.

1) when do I replant?

2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to
let the soil rest a season?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 28-06-2016, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am about to pick my garlic.

1) when do I replant?

2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to
let the soil rest a season?

i replant again in the fall. usually in
a new location. crop rotations help keep
pests and diseases in check.

also when you rotate plants you should use
different families of plants each time so that
you are using a different nutrient profile
from the soil. this way you can stretch
fertility and nutrients through many plantings.

i have gardens here that i amend once every
two or three years and yet the soils keep
improving even with that low rate. i also bury
any organic leavings so that the worms get
extra goodies to work on.

the hard neck garlic i have here is all over
the place, there is no way i dig it all up each
year and then replant, so there are places where
it keeps growing "wild". that just means the
bulbs and cloves tend to be small. my more formal
garlic planting the bulbs and cloves are quite
large. i have only 26 this season (and a few
thousand extras if i really want to try digging
them all up).

songbird
Old 28-06-2016, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

I am about to pick my garlic.

1) when do I replant?

2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to
let the soil rest a season?

Many thanks,
-T

Depending on your weather (and the year, and how busy you might be...) a
few weeks before the ground (normally, unless you have a time machine)
freezes. In years where busy doesn't get me, late October or sometime in
November. Last year, Dec 26th with the big cold (but with snow, a good
thing in this case, it's insulation for the ground and delays freezing)
coming on the 27th (if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever
get done - but I was out there planting by lamplight to get it done) -
mind you, an October planting would have gotten way out of hand last
year - we didn't get frost until about a month later than normal (the
end of October, not mid-late September.)

Scape timing (this year) seems to be about the same as other years.
Being planted that late I did not have tops up most of the winter, which
I often do with earlier plantings. They seem to take it fine (they laugh
at the cold), but I don't see a lot of variance in production either way.

Rotate. Garlic is beneficial to several families of crops following it
in rotation, and in general one is trying to minimize developing
diseases/pests peculiar to one plant family by not growing them in the
same spot each year.

I maintain about 100 heads, which means I get to use about 75 and the
smaller cloves from the biggest/best 25 that I set aside for seed,
planting only the larger cloves from them. I'm up to 9" grid spacing at
this point, having seen a definite improvement in size going from a 6"
grid to an 8" grid.

Old 28-06-2016, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/28/2016 9:04 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

[...]

What is freezing and what is snow? Seldom ever happens here on the edge
of Hell, we're expecting at least 90F to 100F here this afternoon.

Got out early this morning and picked what needed to be picked from the
garden. Watered yesterday evening, weather heads say rain today, they've
said that every day for a week now. I ain't waiting on the rain.

Went to the garden about 0700 CST and it was a balmy, no wind, no clouds
80F. Didn't take me and the dog a long time to quick pick, quick water,
back into the air conditioning. Being very old I can remember when
hardly anyone had AC.

I joined the U.S. Navy at 17 in June 1957. My folks home had fans on a
stand, gas heaters in a couple of rooms. Came home from boot camp and
they had AC, gas heat in the attic, a telephone, and a new TV. Asked why
all that, Dad swore up and down that their food bill went down a hundred
bucks a month when I left. Unfortunately that didn't happen when we
tossed our kids out. G

George, still picking them peas
Old 28-06-2016, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/28/2016 05:01 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

Tomorrow I dig up the one I missed last years with the 20
shoots on it. Bet the are pretty small.

Old 29-06-2016, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

What is freezing and what is snow? Seldom ever happens here on the edge
of Hell, we're expecting at least 90F to 100F here this afternoon.

For you, (probably) plant anytime in early December, or follow local
guidance. I hear the British like to plant shallots on the shortest day
and harvest them on the longest day, but garlic ain't shallots.

Old 29-06-2016, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/28/2016 7:46 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

What is freezing and what is snow? Seldom ever happens here on the edge
of Hell, we're expecting at least 90F to 100F here this afternoon.

For you, (probably) plant anytime in early December, or follow local
guidance. I hear the British like to plant shallots on the shortest day
and harvest them on the longest day, but garlic ain't shallots.

As I age I seem to like onion and garlic scallions more so than the real
thing. We grew a giant garlic this year and it is very tasty so may grow
another one next year. We have harvested most of the small, sweet onions
we planted from starts back in last fall. All about twice the size of a
ping-pong ball and very tasty. The paper on them was nice as a covering
too. Kept some of the pests off of them.

We've been growing the same bunching onions for about fifteen years now,
brought them back to Texas with us in 2012. A friend in Louisiana gave
me the starts and they have constantly paid off. I chop and freeze them
and then into vacuum bags. Last a good while too. We also plant them
around our fruit trees and as an edging for the flower beds. Helps to
keep the neighborhood cats from messing in the beds.

We received almost a half inch of rain this afternoon and are happy for
it. Didn't much like the multitude of lightning strikes though. I
counted the seconds from the flash to the boom and some were within a
couple of miles from us and very pretty.

George