Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default mars soil test

Hi All,

A growing test of simulated Martian soil. Interesting read.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...e-harvest.html

I am not sure this is an accurate study as Martian soil has
no microbes.

I wonder if they have earwigs on Mars?

-T
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

A growing test of simulated Martian soil. Interesting read.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...e-harvest.html

I am not sure this is an accurate study as Martian soil has
no microbes.

it is very hard to sterilize something
completely.

I wonder if they have earwigs on Mars?

if we go there with organic stuff for
growing plants, eventually they'll get
there...

we've already contaminated mars with DNA
and other bits of organic molecules, but it
likely doesn't matter because the lack of
water and the temperatures are so harsh it
will be degraded or have nothing else to
interact with.

life is somewhat of a package deal. we'll
have to take large chunks of the biosphere
with us to support us on any planet that
doesn't aleady have life.

songbird
Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 05:23 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

And I beg to point out that if you mix Martian soil with water,
you get sulfuric acid. So, hmmmmmmmm

Greenhouses for Mars Ron Plant Science 2 26-02-2004 03:48 AM
Greenhouses for Mars Ron Plant Science 0 25-02-2004 07:39 PM
OT Mars David Hill United Kingdom 2 02-09-2003 11:12 AM
OT Mars David Hill United Kingdom 8 31-08-2003 01:02 PM
Are there Junipers on Mars? P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:28 PM