Old 06-07-2016, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ping George: diabetic data on Chowder Peas and brown rice

Hi George,

I compiled nutrition data on chowder peas and brown rice with drug
free diabetes numbers in parenthesis.

Chowder peas: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4332/2
calories: 200 KCal (~1600 KCal per day)
carbs: 35.7 grams (15 max per meal / 60 max per day)
fiber: 11.2 grams (the more the merrier!)
glycemic load: 13 (10 or less per day)

You'd probably get away with a 1/2 cup (load of 6.5) a day.

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

For comparison: Table Sugar:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2

1 cup:
calories: 774 KCal
carbs: 200 grams
fiber: 0 grams
glycemic load: 139

Be careful my friend. You have to live to be 100 or
at least until I get a successful garden, in which
case you have to live to be 200.

:-)

-T
Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

1 cup:
calories: 27 KCal
carbs: 8 grams
fiber: 2.7 grams
glycemic load: 4 (estimated from frozen cauliflower)

The trick is to cook it slightly chewy.

Here are pizza crust recites, but I have never tried them
(I just do fried cheese pizzas):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...er+pizza+crust

:-)

-T

Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/6/2016 3:29 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I don't really need any help with my diet T, knock it off.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 13:40:06 -0700, T wrote:

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

1 cup:
calories: 27 KCal
carbs: 8 grams
fiber: 2.7 grams
glycemic load: 4 (estimated from frozen cauliflower)

The trick is to cook it slightly chewy.

Here are pizza crust recites, but I have never tried them
(I just do fried cheese pizzas):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...er+pizza+crust

:-)

-T

There is more to judging food than just the calories. You must
include the nutrients in each item.

The cRowder pea is a good source of dietary fiber. They are rich in
potassium with good amounts of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. They
also have small amounts of iron, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese and
selenium. Crowder peas are rich in vitamin A and C. They have a good
amount of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and pantothenic
acid. They also have a small amount of folate.

I am sure that George knows exactly what and how much he can eat.
Anyone who has been on a diet of any kind knows quickly learns that.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

[...]

You're exactly right Susan, have been diabetic for many years, pretty
much eat anything I want, including sweets, in moderation. We've been
growing our own vegetables since the early sixties. Plus back then we
raised goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, and wild game and
fish. Wish I could have a trio of rabbits here, they don't smell bad,
the manure doesn't burn so it can go straight to the garden, they taste
good, and they don't make a lot of noise. Maybe I should petition the
HOA, naw, they're all city people. G

Miz Anne is making another batch of fig jam with lemons, good stuff for
later. Heat is hitting the gardens pretty hard, we're watering twice a
day, have to do that with raised beds sitting on clay. No dirt for
retention of water.

Just ordered a new pair of reading glasses, the old ones got scratched
up somehow. Oh well, got those in 2013, they had a good run considering
how I treat them.

George

Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

1 cup:
calories: 27 KCal
carbs: 8 grams
fiber: 2.7 grams
glycemic load: 4 (estimated from frozen cauliflower)

The trick is to cook it slightly chewy.

Here are pizza crust recites, but I have never tried them
(I just do fried cheese pizzas):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...er+pizza+crust

:-)

-T

There is more to judging food than just the calories. You must
include the nutrients in each item.

True. Glycemic Load comes way before calories. Then mention of
calories was because T2 Diabetics have a hard time handling too
many of them and it keeps your blood sugar high. And it
also keep fat on your liver and pancreas.

The cRowder pea is a good source of dietary fiber. They are rich in
potassium with good amounts of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. They
also have small amounts of iron, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese and
selenium. Crowder peas are rich in vitamin A and C. They have a good
amount of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and pantothenic
acid. They also have a small amount of folate.

They also contain lectins, phytic acid, protease inhibitors.
This is to keep animals from digesting them so that they
will poop them out and disseminate their seeds. Beans
are not all too good for humans. (CPeas are actually a bean.)

We now have 1 in 11 of us with T2 Diabetes. T2 is an injury,
not a disease. It is caused by carbohydrate poisoning. This
is because we humans got all to clever for our own britches
and artificially hybridized pants for unnatural levels of
carbohydrates not found in nature.

Chowder peas is one of the offenders. The worst are the
grains. If it doesn't come from the produce isle or
the meat isle, it isn't food. And, some of those aren't
food either.

And there is no such thing as a "Healthy Carb". I believed
that lie and that is how I got my injury (T2). Brown rice,
white rice, whole wheat, white flour, table sugar, all the
same thing below your chin

I am sure that George knows exactly what and how much he can eat.
Anyone who has been on a diet of any kind knows quickly learns that.

He does. He is also relying on allopaths to patch him up (heart
attacks, strokes) after not removing those things from his diet
that caused the injury in the first place. There will come a
time when the allopaths can not patch him up. And this scares
me as I really like the guy.

Speaking of allopaths patching you up, yesterday, I was at a
customer site where one of the employee's husband just got
out of the hospital after 30 days with kidney failure.
He has T2 and went the Drug, Carb, and Allopath route.
According to his wife, he was on four injections a day.
He will not give up the carbs. Carbs are very addictive.
Seen them kill too many T2's.

The pity is that once you kick the carbohydrate addition -- took
me about two weeks -- you can start tasting your food again.
And, that got me into trouble as I taught myself to cook Primal
and as I got better and better at it, I ate more and more.
I was pushing 4000 KCals a day. Now I am back down to 1600
KCals or less a day and am back under control. The food
is SO GOOD! Life is unfair like that.

-T

Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/07/2016 08:55 AM, George Shirley wrote:
You're exactly right Susan, have been diabetic for many years, pretty
much eat anything I want, including sweets, in moderation

Don't forget the consequences: your heat attacks and strokes.
You have live to be 100 or till I get a successful garden,
in which case you will live to be 200!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 04:36 PM, George Shirley wrote:
I don't really need any help with my diet T, knock it off.

I don't want you dying on me from T2. I have had too much
of that lately. I will rest the subject for now.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/07/2016 06:40 AM, The Cook wrote:
They are rich in
potassium with good amounts of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. They
also have small amounts of iron, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese and
selenium.

An interesting observation: these metals (a.k.a. minerals) will
not be in the plant unless they are in the soil first. Depleted
soil is a huge and fascinating subject
Old 07-07-2016, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

[...]

We're done here, drop the diabetic or other health problems with me. Be
gone.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/06/2016 01:29 PM, T wrote:

Brown Rice: 1 cup:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2
calories: 216 KCal
carbs: 44.8 grams
fiber: 3.5 grams
glycemic load: 22

You can sub rice with riced cauliflower.
From Trader Joe's bag

[...]

This information I have been giving you was withheld from me
by the allopathic community, except for the (one honest) ER
allopath that originally diagnosed me. This is why I am
telling you. T2 will kill you on the installment program,
as it is doing to you, but only if you let it.

But since you now know there is another way and I am
starting to annoy you (not my intention), I will
drop it. If you ever decide to go the drug free
route, I have a wealth of information I can send you.

And you have to live to be 100! Or at least until I
get a successful garden, in which case you will
be the first T2 on record to reach 200!

Sometimes when folks care about you, they can be annoying.
Any good SWMBO can explain it. While you are at it, get
them to explain why they get both votes in the two vote
marriage rule. (Hint: because if they don't get both
votes, you won't take care of yourself.)

-T

Ping George Brooklyn1 Gardening 0 06-07-2013 04:11 PM
The Diabetic Garden Bill who putters Edible Gardening 6 17-05-2010 12:22 AM
where to buy diabetic bread in London? Chris Hogg United Kingdom 19 25-11-2003 09:32 AM
Do the botanists need a XML data modeling/data entry tool? Kevin Garwood Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Do the botanists need a XML data modeling/data entry tool? Kevin Garwood Plant Science 4 13-03-2003 10:56 AM