Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 'Maters !

Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll
get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing
some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I better get off my butt
and get some shelves built in the cellar ... between the honey and the
veggies we're running out of shelf space inside .
--
Snag

Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/2/2016 2:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll
get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing
some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I better get off my butt
and get some shelves built in the cellar ... between the honey and the
veggies we're running out of shelf space inside .

Congratulations! Just how many quarts of canned tomatoes can you eat? I
once made tomato catsup and then later made tomato juice. That's back
when dear wife felt that 20 or 30 tomato plants were required to call
herself a gardener. Should have seen the year she went for okra, we're
still eating the stuff out of the freezer.

My favorite thing is cleaning out the big freezer, 25 cubic feet, of all
the odds and ends of leftovers she tried to save. Recovered a lot of
containers and almost burned out the sinkerator. That's what happens
when you marry the middle child of six. G Other than that she's been a
good wife. Her folks grew to adulthood during the Great Depression and
they left a helluva legacy for their middle one.

Now I can shed a tear, out tomatoes are gone, so are the crowder peas
and the cucumbers. The zucchini and yellow squash never made fruit. It's
hard for gardens to live in a constant small piece of Hades. The "real
feel" outside today is 108F, otherwise it's just 95F with no shade nor
clouds, nor rain. I think it's time to stop gardening and let the soil
lie fallow until some decent weather comes by.
]
Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll
get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing
some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I better get off my butt
and get some shelves built in the cellar ... between the honey and the
veggies we're running out of shelf space inside .

If that suits your uses well, good enough. I'd just like to toss in a
word in favor of dehydrating them, which is what we do with the vast
majority of ours, but we are not big sauce-eaters. I think it ends up a
bit more compact (certainly lighter) as well. Someone will drop a
dehydrator off at the thrift store if you keep an eye out for it, or you
can get it the expensive way (I did that, and have since seen that I
could have saved a bit by having my eye on the other method.)

Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like
we'll get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll
be freezing some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I
better get off my butt and get some shelves built in the cellar ...
between the honey and the veggies we're running out of shelf space
inside .

If that suits your uses well, good enough. I'd just like to toss in a
word in favor of dehydrating them, which is what we do with the vast
majority of ours, but we are not big sauce-eaters. I think it ends up
a bit more compact (certainly lighter) as well. Someone will drop a
dehydrator off at the thrift store if you keep an eye out for it, or
you can get it the expensive way (I did that, and have since seen
that I could have saved a bit by having my eye on the other method.)

We have a dehydrator and I plan to use it for some of the tomatoes . We're
sauce eaters , she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some pizza sauce
now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .
--
Snag
Made 3 batches

Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/02/2016 12:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll
get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing
some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I better get off my butt
and get some shelves built in the cellar ... between the honey and the
veggies we're running out of shelf space inside .

Awesome!!!

I am on my fourth cherry tomato. :'(

Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/02/2016 04:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some pizza sauce
now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 08/02/2016 04:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some pizza
sauce now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?

Umm , they aren't her recipes ... they're mine .
--
Snag

Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/03/2016 05:30 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
On 08/02/2016 04:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some pizza
sauce now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?

Umm , they aren't her recipes ... they're mine .

Hi Terry,

So, how about your recipes ???

I am the cook too in the family. I love it when my
wife's ends her sentences with "... and I completely
cognisant of the fact that you cook!"

Live is good!

-T
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 08/02/2016 04:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some
pizza sauce now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?

Umm , they aren't her recipes ... they're mine .

Hi Terry,

So, how about your recipes ???

I am the cook too in the family. I love it when my
wife's ends her sentences with "... and I completely
cognisant of the fact that you cook!"

Live is good!

-T

Two of our grand daughters (9 &13) are up for a visit . Grammie and the
girls got home from a trip to town just as the cinnamon rolls were cool
enough to eat ...
The thing is , I'm retired and she works p/t at WallyWorld . I'm pretty
loose with scheduling , so I can fix dishes that need several operations
over the day . She likes my cookin' ...
--
Snag

Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 08/02/2016 04:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge
batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some
pizza sauce now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?

Umm , they aren't her recipes ... they're mine .

Hi Terry,

So, how about your recipes ???

I am the cook too in the family. I love it when my
wife's ends her sentences with "... and I completely
cognisant of the fact that you cook!"

Live is good!

-T

Oh , and ot'll take me a day or so to write down a couple of my best , but
here's one for some fajita seasoning :
1 tbsp flour
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
I usually increase the onion and garlic powders a little . You can delete
the cayenne if you plan to use fresh chopped hot peppers (serranos and
anaheims are good) . I sprinkle some on the meat as soon as it hits the pan
, add enough to coat well when the meat's cooked then add a dash of water .
makes for a nice even coating of seasoning on the meat . Of course it goes
with out saying that there will be onions and a little green pepper in with
the meat ... and seasoned rice and refritos on the side .
--
Snag

Old 03-08-2016, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

Mine does too, I like my cooking better than hers too. I learned to cook
from my paternal grandmother, born around 1890 so I do things by hand
rather than buying parts of this and that and throwing it together. My
wife makes better biscuits so that's her job.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

Creole Seasoning
units can vary , how much do you want to make ?

2 measures onion powder
2 garlic powder
2 oregano
2 basil
1 thyme
1 black pepper
1 cayenne (or ground up dried serrano)
5 paprika
3 salt

and my favorite
SnagRub

5 onion powder
2 garlic powder
1 paprika
2 salt
4 chili powder
6 brown sugar
It will clump some if left standing , just shake it up .
This is the dry rub I use on my smoked pork butts and shoulders . It's
also good sprinkled on grilled skinned chicken or used as a "marinade" for
pork chops/steaks/country style ribs . The marinade is a couple of
tablespoons of white cooking wine to a quarter cup or so of rub with the
meat and all in a ziplock bag .
--
Snag

Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

What does your "chili powder" consist of? I have to use all
single spices to avoid sugar and excitotoxins. Also I have
to avoid anything from the coriander family (cumin, cilantro,
etc.) as my wife have a two step allergy to them (two steps
and she is dead -- scary stuff). I use Oregano in its place.
Not sure how well it does.

How about your tomato sauce recipe?

Would you be interested in my primal stock recipes or primal
pancakes or primal broccoli cheese soup?

I have great primal ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing
recipes too

-T
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

All recipes noted down and if I change anything over the course of time
these will become MY recipes.

Thanks

Mike

Bloomin' Maters and other matters Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 16-05-2015 08:19 PM
Maters or watermelon Dave Texas 5 22-07-2007 05:11 AM
"maters" Jonny Texas 8 30-10-2006 02:09 AM
The Maters are HERE!!! Cheetah Gardening 1 11-07-2004 07:02 AM
yellow spots on 'maters Elliot Richmond Texas 0 30-05-2003 04:20 PM