Old 21-08-2016, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pawpaw

rec.gardens.edible
pawpaw fruit with blackened surface

There is a pawpaw tree here with fruit whose skin turns partially black
around June. (N. America, Ohio valley) The coating looks like some sort of
fungus or similiar creature. Anyone know what causes such blackening and how
to avoid it?
Another question concerning a different pawpaw tree about a half mile
distant: Early this year the tree looked as if it was going to produce about a
million fruits. Nearly every flower had generated from 3 to 5 fruits, each
from 1/4 to 1/2 half inch long. When I checked again, 2 weeks later, not a one
of those tiny fruits had survived. Any idea why?

Hul
Old 21-08-2016, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/21/2016 2:17 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
rec.gardens.edible
pawpaw fruit with blackened surface

There is a pawpaw tree here with fruit whose skin turns partially black
around June. (N. America, Ohio valley) The coating looks like some sort of
fungus or similiar creature. Anyone know what causes such blackening and how
to avoid it?
Another question concerning a different pawpaw tree about a half mile
distant: Early this year the tree looked as if it was going to produce about a
million fruits. Nearly every flower had generated from 3 to 5 fruits, each
from 1/4 to 1/2 half inch long. When I checked again, 2 weeks later, not a one
of those tiny fruits had survived. Any idea why?

Hul

http://www.ohiopawpaw.com/fruit_drop.pdf

http://www.starkbros.com/growing-gui...-about-pawpaws

Five minutes in an online search should help. I've never seen a paw paw
tree here in SE Texas but my Dad, raised in Louisiana, used to give the
paw paw trees high kudos for good eats. Hope this helps.

Old 31-08-2016, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

replying to Hul Tytus, pefty wrote:
The blackening is a sign of ripeness, not an infection. Enjoy when black!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/edible/pawpaw-43944-.htm