Old 31-08-2016, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default over winter crops?

On 8/31/2016 9:34 AM, songbird wrote:
The Cook wrote:
Not giving up, just slowing down after 2 years of medical problems.
Hoping I can get a smaller garden going next year. I still have lots
of jars, many of them still full of food. (food still good and being
used) I looked at my records and about the 3rd year we were here I
set out almost 100 tomato plants.

we'd need help and machines to keep up with that
many plants!

I do keep track of what is on the
shelves and get rid of anything that is too old. Getting harder to
get rid of stuff since older son's wife has a small garden and younger
son has his own garden, freezer and canner.

but they'll take some jars?

BTW I'm only 16 months younger that you.

you are both about Ma's age. she can run laps
around me health-wise.

be good to yourselves...

songbird

Miz Anne's two sisters are coming in from Maryland today. Getting all
set up for our eldest granddaughter's forthcoming wedding. So, Miz Anne
is mowing the yard again and weed eating and trimming everything to look
good for her sisters. I just got up from a nap, have been feeling really
lousy for about a week, hopefully that will go away soon.

Have been having a little rain here and there and the gardens are
picking up. I am amazed at how much stuff from over a year ago planting
are still producing and growing. The latest plantings are taking over
the gardens due to the rain I reckon.

Miz Anne turned the last of the Tennosui pears into a nice pear pie
today. We have tried the newest pear jelly and it is outstanding in
color and taste. I think we're going to get along with the tree alright.
Will try the pear sauce I made soon. I added nothing to it, just canned
it and put it in the canning pantry. I tasted the raw sauce and it was
excellent. Miz Anne thinks I should have added some cinnamon or another
spice but I am hoping it will just be good as is. Sometimes the lily
does not need to be gilded.

George
Old 31-08-2016, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/31/2016 9:39 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
I have a large number of Atlas jars with the standard small lid. Ran
into the first bunch at a Pentecostal Church sale, five cents each. I
carry a standard small lid with me when I go fossiking just to ensure
they work. They were originally REAL jars from a spaghetti sauce, can't
remember the name. They're still around but changed the neck of the jar
so it is no longer of use for canning. They're not quite a quart but are
really good for pickles and jellies. I'm looking at about six cases of
pints, a couple of cases of quarts and a case of half gallon jars right
now. Plus a bunch of little 1/4. 1/8, etc. jars that have come in over
the years.

i've got a bag of odd little sized jars in the closet
that i would use for odds and ends of jam batches, but
now that i'm doing freezer jam and have been happy using
pint jars i hardly even use them any more. and some of
those decorative diamond pattern jars which are too tippy
and i don't like 'em. tried a few minutes ago to talk
Ma into letting me put some tomato juice in them so i
could get rid of them... nope... darn...

I accuse my lovely wife of hoarding and she smiles and mentions my
canning pantry. Touche!

har! i have boxes of old bottles on top of the book-
cases, that i really should just see if anyone wants them
because i've not bothered with them since i put them up
there. some old ink wells are about all i really like and
a few coffin bottles and colored soda water bottles. used
to go with a friend digging for bottles and would help him
scrub them so he'd let me take a few here or there.

that was a long time ago when i was up north.

songbird

Back in the sixties and seventies my Dad and I operated a gunsmith shop
and we also handled antique bottles and jars. Our area of Texas at that
time was loaded with old homesteads, long burned or taken out. We could
find the privy holes easily and dug out many an old bottle, jar, or
whiskey jug. Soaked them in #2 wash tubs for a week or two and then put
them in an antique display cabinet we ran upon. Folks would come in for
the husband to look at guns and the wives would see the display cabinet.
We generally sold more antique bottles than guns because of that display.

Folks liked the bottles and jars that had turned a light violet color
due to the sun hitting the glass for years. Mostly turned violet if
there was a good bit of selenium in the glass. We would take the privy
bottles and put them in a box I built with a barber's sanitary light in
the top. One week and we had genuine antique sun purpled bottles. Price
of those doubled and tripled. G

George
Old 31-08-2016, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/31/2016 9:49 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

you must also be fertilizing?

I don't, but wife loves Miracle Grow.

ah, ok.

and yeah, hard to keep organic matter in the
soils in warmer areas. some clay can slow the
rate of loss down.

Our "native" dirt here is two inches of sand over five feet of Houston
gumbo clay, put in at build to raise the houses above the minimum flood
zone, saves on $$$ but is very bad for gardening, hence the raised beds.

that will be where any earthworms will hide from
the heat when it gets too bad out.

however, what i meant was that if the compost is
disappearing then add that on top and it will get
mixed in eventually as you plant. especially with
that shallow of a bed. i guess i'm lazy that ways.
think plants and worms can figure it out well
enough without me messing it up.

are the beds isolated from the subsoil clay you
have in place? like by a weed barrier fabric or
sheet plastic?

Yup, but the barrier fabric is pretty much gone by now, has been in
place since early 2013 and was intended to rot away eventually.

oh, that's ok, at least you have sand and clay if
you ever need it and the worms can get in and out.

i hope they will continue to live there. it's
a good sign when the soil can support a diverse
community of critters.

Yup, we both grew up on small farms, almost always had composting in
place, plus we had large critters for several years and they dropped
enough good stuff on the land that it became very rich. Horses, mules,
cows, goats, etc. Improved grass lands, eaten by large critters then
given back to the earth. In Louisiana we had access to friends who had
large critters and we always had a pickup truck. Go clean out a rain
shed that had two feet of excrement that was aged from two to five
years, take an axe, cut out large chunks, use the hay fork to toss into
truck, repeat many times. Take it home, put the stuff through the wood
chipper and blow it into the garden, Use the tiller to turn it under,
water, plant seeds, jump back as they grow. I miss those days, about the
only big critter poop you can get here is Black Cow in bags and that is
from huge feed lots and no telling what was going through the critters
and into the bags.

i know. i don't buy the stuff any more, but i did
try a few bags when i first put in the strawberries.
decided i could grow/harvest green manure crops for
a fraction of the expense and run it through the worm
bins.

i envy younger people who can handle larger animals
and have the inclination. you can do a lot of regenerative
grazing on beat up farmland to bring it back to prime
condition, run chickens through right after you graze
and the chickens will pick through the cow plops to
get the fly grubs, and scatter the plops around.

in those winter sheds, this guy takes whole shelled
out corn and sprinkles it in there once in a while and
then as the pile builds up he doesn't do anything until
after the cows come out of the shed and then he puts
his pigs in there and they root through it all and
turn it looking for the corn. i think that's a
great idea for stirring compost... using an animal
to do it.

for me, worms are about as far as i can go for now.
eventually i hope i can do some quail here just to
get a population back that has been eradicated.

songbird

My Mom always had several dozen laying hens, she sold the fresh eggs to
folks in town at a good price. The chickens had free run of the ten
acres during daylight hours and then went to their roost before dark. We
also fed them "laying hen feed." The yolks of the eggs were a deep,
golden color and the taste was much better than those from the
supermarket. Chickens, ducks, etc. do a good job of fertilizing the
fields too. Our guinea hens roosted in the tallest trees on the
property, they didn't much like hen houses but they went there to lay
their eggs. The occasional hawk would get one once in awhile but those
roosting trees always had deep green leaves. Lots of guinea poop on the
ground.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/01/2016 05:34 AM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

I was hoping for something to eat.

where?

General knowledge of your whereabouts—USDA zone, at least—and of steps
you take to temper conditions for the garden's sake would be of benefit.
For examples, can/do you provide any combination of protection,
insulation, heat sources? What crosses your mind when you read
"microclimate"?

Would love a green house, but I am way to poor for that. And
we have hurricane level 1 winds a couple of times a year.
Most green houses blow away.

I have no special anything other than me over loving the things.
They have made me into a slave. But ...

Your USDA zone for "X" in the following google (startpage) search might
offer some suggestions:

zone X winter vegetables -alibaba -ebay -book -books -auction -amazon
-peeplo -wow.com

Northern Nevada south of Reno. Elevation: 4900 feet.
Very arid. Freezing winters. Short growing season:
mid June through first freeze in September/October.
Hot summers 90-100F in the day, 45-55F in the night.

Most of what I see for winter vegi's in in climes with no
freezing weather.

I am dying to try those Potato Onions and maybe throw
in some Grey Griselle Shallots. I just planted my garlic
for the season yesterday.

http://www.southernexposure.com/yell...-oz-p-873.html
http://www.southernexposure.com/grey...oz-p-1441.html

Basically what Songbird said: things that grow underground.

Sorry 'bout the word wrap but I'm sure you can overcome.

Worked perfectly here. It is an issue with the software and
not you. Your's seems to be working fine.

[OT] Gratuitous aside: Does your reference to "Primal" elsewhere in the
thread refer to principals of so-called (and self-described) "Primal
Living"?

I try to follow this as close as I can.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...mal-blueprint/

Did a bunch of office work last week and wound up with a stinking
blood sugar of 124 mb/dL, which is not good.

Did a bunch of gardening yesterday. Woke up with a blood
sugar of 84 mg/dL, which is phenomenal for a drug free T2
diabetic. This gardening is good for me in so many more
ways than I ever imagined. I need to break up my office work
with gardening and fishing.

Grok on!

-T

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:

....about zones...

roughly the same here, except not so arid.

and at elevation 620ft, which also makes
a lot of difference in sun intensity.

for arid climate wind-breaks can help a lot.
he's mentioned before getting very strong
winds.

and mulching to hold whatever soil moisture
you can collect.

and using contours to harvest any run-off so
you don't lose topsoil and rainwater. stop it,
slow it down, soak it in. water stored under-
ground is much better than in a pond when it
comes to arid climates.

songbird

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/02/2016 06:14 AM, Derald wrote:
list only onions

I will be tickled pink to get potato onions,
shallots, and garlic going over winter.

Year before last I got a great garlic harvest.
And, home grown garlic is so indescribably
better than store bought garlic ...

Thank you for all the advice!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/02/2016 10:30 AM, songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:

...about zones...

roughly the same here, except not so arid.

and at elevation 620ft, which also makes
a lot of difference in sun intensity.

for arid climate wind-breaks can help a lot.
he's mentioned before getting very strong
winds.

and mulching to hold whatever soil moisture
you can collect.

and using contours to harvest any run-off so
you don't lose topsoil and rainwater. stop it,
slow it down, soak it in. water stored under-
ground is much better than in a pond when it
comes to arid climates.

songbird

We get 7 inches a year on average. When it rains,
sometimes there are flash floods and then the
water disappears.

We have some awesome thunderstorms. The most
incredible five minutes of weather drama
you can imagine.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/30/2016 07:32 AM, The Cook wrote:
Not giving up, just slowing down after 2 years of medical problems.

Are you all better yet? Or just getting there?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 01:17:39 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/30/2016 07:32 AM, The Cook wrote:
Not giving up, just slowing down after 2 years of medical problems.

Are you all better yet? Or just getting there?

Some are taken care of pretty well and others we are learning to live
with or work around.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/03/2016 05:48 AM, The Cook wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 01:17:39 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/30/2016 07:32 AM, The Cook wrote:
Not giving up, just slowing down after 2 years of medical problems.

Are you all better yet? Or just getting there?

Some are taken care of pretty well and others we are learning to live
with or work around.

This is good news indeed.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/2016 7:48 AM, The Cook wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 01:17:39 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/30/2016 07:32 AM, The Cook wrote:
Not giving up, just slowing down after 2 years of medical problems.

Are you all better yet? Or just getting there?

Some are taken care of pretty well and others we are learning to live
with or work around.

Amen! Started becoming decrepit in my mid-fifties, will pass my
mid-seventies the 23rd of this month and am becoming more decrepit. G

My lovely wife's two sisters are here for two weeks. Luckily we get
along quiet well. The three of them are gone most of the day as the
sisters are from Maryland and haven't seen much of Majestic Texas. Off
to the Farmer's Market and several other places this morning. The dog
and I will begin napping soon, something we both enjoy immensely.

I am the head cook here at the Hacienda and the sisters-in-law are
learning to eat Texas grub and they are surprised at how good it is.
Eldest granddaughter is getting married Monday, they're trying to get me
into a suit again. Gave suits up in 2007 but I will put on long pants
and a nice shirt. My normal wear in spring and summer is cotton shorts
and a cotton tee shirt. Winter apparel is long cotton pants, and a long
sleeved tee. I see nothing wrong with that at a wedding but all the hens
and chicks in the flock are pushing me toward a suit. I'm not giving the
girl away, not part of the wedding party, what is wrong with shorts and
a tee in a church?

Garden is still producing, sweet peppers, okra, and eggplant mostly.
About time to start our winter crop, probably toward the end of
September. The lone, nearly two year old pepper plant is still producing
like crazy. We're going to try to keep it going another year.