Old 24-09-2016, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sunflower question

Hi All,

I had a sunflower grow wild in my garden this year.
I have watched several videos on how to grow them on
You Tube, but I am confused as to when to cut
the flowers off the stems and what to do with
them afterwards.

The flower is currently past to pollination stage
and is pointing at the ground. The buds are starting
to fall off and the seeds are starting to show
when they do.

I ask this because aphids have discovered the plant
and I want to cut it down as soon as possible.

Many thanks,
-T
Old 24-09-2016, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Can't help you as to when, but this may help? Place a nylon stocking over
the flower. This should keep aphids out and seeds in.
Old 24-09-2016, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/24/2016 02:26 PM, azigni wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:05:41 -0700, T wrote:

Can't help you as to when, but this may help? Place a nylon stocking over
the flower. This should keep aphids out and seeds in.

Thank you!

It is about six feet tall. That would have to be
ONE LEGGY woman!
Old 25-09-2016, 10:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"T" wrote in message ...
On 09/24/2016 02:26 PM, azigni wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:05:41 -0700, T wrote:

Can't help you as to when, but this may help? Place a nylon stocking over
the flower. This should keep aphids out and seeds in.

Thank you!

It is about six feet tall. That would have to be
ONE LEGGY woman!

No matter how leggy do not be tempted to use fishnets unless you are more
worried about flying fish than aphids.

Mike

Old 26-09-2016, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/25/2016 02:00 AM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"T" wrote in message ...
On 09/24/2016 02:26 PM, azigni wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:05:41 -0700, T wrote:

Can't help you as to when, but this may help? Place a nylon stocking over
the flower. This should keep aphids out and seeds in.

Thank you!

It is about six feet tall. That would have to be
ONE LEGGY woman!

No matter how leggy do not be tempted to use fishnets unless you are more
worried about flying fish than aphids.

Mike

When do I cut the heads off and how to I store them
to finish seeding?

Old 30-09-2016, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/24/2016 02:05 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I had a sunflower grow wild in my garden this year.
I have watched several videos on how to grow them on
You Tube, but I am confused as to when to cut
the flowers off the stems and what to do with
them afterwards.

The flower is currently past to pollination stage
and is pointing at the ground. The buds are starting
to fall off and the seeds are starting to show
when they do.

I ask this because aphids have discovered the plant
and I want to cut it down as soon as possible.

Many thanks,
-T

Found this:

http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2012/...-how-to-do-it/

Here’s how to harvest sunflower seeds:

1. Wait for the heads to drop, all the sunflower petals
have fallen off, and the backside of the sunflower
has turned yellow or even brown.

2. Cut about a foot of stalk off the top.

3. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon or butter knife, as
shown in the video above, OR if you’re more patient,

Put a net or brown paper bag over the flower head
and wait for the seeds to drop on their own.

4. Air dry for future use.