Old 25-09-2016, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter Squash

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

Paul
Old 25-09-2016, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/25/2016 7:23 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

Paul

I recognized the long gray squash, my father grew them fifty odd years
ago. He called them "banana squash" and some got up to fifteen lbs and
were tasty. Thanks for calling up an old, old memory. Looks like a good
haul.

Unfortunately we can't grow winter squash here in SE Texas, our winters
are to hot I guess. We have to do with summer squash. I might try one
winter squash plant next month if it actually cools off.

We have one Gypsy pepper plant that is rapidly approaching it's third
year in the ground and is still producing heavily. We're sort of babying
it to see how long it can last. All the other sweet chilies are slowly
dying off now.

George
Old 26-09-2016, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/25/2016 05:23 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

Paul

Hi Paul,

That is a thing of beauty!

What are each type of squash?

And, do you have a picture of the patch itself (don't
mind the weeds, we won't care).

-T
Old 26-09-2016, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

a nice variety of yummyness!

why sheep food and not for you to eat?

will sheep eat turnips?

we have butternut only planted. a few are
orange. we planted seeds from an orange fruit
but only two in that planting were orange.
the rest are all the dark green. we'll eat
them no matter what. i could live off roasted
squish.

songbird
Old 28-09-2016, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 8:06:31 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 09/25/2016 05:23 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

Paul

Hi Paul,

That is a thing of beauty!

What are each type of squash?

And, do you have a picture of the patch itself (don't
mind the weeds, we won't care).

-T

The football-shaped one up front is a Blue Hubbard, that big long one is a Giant Argonaut, the two orange ones are Red October, the round yellow ones are spaghetti squash, and the smaller tan ones shaped something like light bulbs are Butterscotch Squash.

The Butterscotch are great for dinner; my wife splits them into halves, removes the seeds, adds butter and bakes. She used to top with brown sugar before we started our current diet. One half squash for each of us is just right.

This is the pumpkin patch when the plants just started to grow:

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...4bngp.jpg.html

Three columns and seven rows with the hills six feet apart. I'd run the tiller around the hills to keep the weeds down before the vines started to run. No pictures of the over-grown patch yet.

Paul

Old 28-09-2016, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:26:19 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

a nice variety of yummyness!

why sheep food and not for you to eat?

will sheep eat turnips?

we have butternut only planted. a few are
orange. we planted seeds from an orange fruit
but only two in that planting were orange.
the rest are all the dark green. we'll eat
them no matter what. i could live off roasted
squish.

songbird

We eat a lot of squash and pumpkin pie but generally grow too much for just ourselves, so the sheep get the excess as a winter-time treat.

We've never grown turnips, but since the sheep eat beets and carrots, I suppose they'd eat turnips also.

The Butterscotch are very similar to the Butternut, probably just someone's trade name for their variety.

We once baked a custard in a pumpkin. It was said to be a favorite of George Washington.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaides...-a-Pumpkin.htm

Paul
Old 28-09-2016, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We eat a lot of squash and pumpkin pie but generally grow too much for just ourselves, so the sheep get the excess as a winter-time treat.

We've never grown turnips, but since the sheep eat beets and carrots, I suppose they'd eat turnips also.

they sell seeds for the purple top turnips by
the lb at the grain elevator. a few $ each lb.
i scatter them around along with the daikon
radish. really helps get more worm food going
and the radishes really have a deep root and
can get large. pokes into that clay pretty good.

p.s. rotting turnips smell like beer.

The Butterscotch are very similar to the Butternut, probably just someone's trade name for their variety.

i think their flavor is different enough to us that i
would not consider them the same. we used to buy the
butterscotch often, but since we've been growing our own
we haven't needed to buy many that often. our choice
actually in the mid-winter after the squash has run
out or for some variety is to get some sweet potatoes.

We once baked a custard in a pumpkin. It was said to be a favorite of George Washington.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaides...-a-Pumpkin.htm

i love anything like that, i bet it was delicious!

most pumpkin pies are basically a custard with pumpkin
pulp mixed in and spices. we don't usually do anything
with pie crusts any more though (instead we like crumbles
or graham cracker crusts). i mostly like things right
out of the skin best of all. trying to reduce sugars as
much as i can (which for me with my sweet-tooth is a
challenge). not because i have any issues, but simply
because i eat a lot of sugar and could use to lose a few
lbs yet. those are the easiest extra calories for me to
target.

well, time to get out there, gotta check the red
peppers and get them picked and then work on some
weeding and transplants.

may rain later. rain in the forecast all week for
both day and evenings. figures as it is also finally
the moderate temperatures that i can get out more and
work harder/longer.

the weekend was beautiful!

cheers,

songbird
Old 29-09-2016, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 09/27/2016 07:12 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Love the picture. My minds eyes goes wild when I see such.
I see them, growing. I see the harvest. I see the dinner
table. Truly a thing of beauty!

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Winter squash Dave Edible Gardening 1 08-09-2004 01:11 PM
Winter squash Dave Edible Gardening 0 07-09-2004 11:17 PM
winter squash not maturing Orin Hargraves Edible Gardening 4 26-06-2004 05:04 PM
Winter Squash Harvest George Edible Gardening 2 05-08-2003 05:12 AM