Old 01-10-2016, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Roofing Dust, including from old cedar shingles on herp garden

I just had a rental house re-roofed, and the tenants herb garden is
covered with a lot of dust from the job. Parsley, mint, etc. The roofer
said don't use the cedar shingles to start fires, because they used
arsenic on them for fireproofing, which I had never heard of. Now I'm
wondering if that garden is safe to use again. Has anyone ever
considered this problem and how to recover from it?

The roof was cedar shingles and 2 layers of composition, so lotsa of
dust from both.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
I just had a rental house re-roofed, and the tenants herb garden is
covered with a lot of dust from the job. Parsley, mint, etc. The roofer
said don't use the cedar shingles to start fires, because they used
arsenic on them for fireproofing, which I had never heard of. Now I'm
wondering if that garden is safe to use again. Has anyone ever
considered this problem and how to recover from it?

The roof was cedar shingles and 2 layers of composition, so lotsa of
dust from both.

shop vaccuum it up?

songbird
Old 04-10-2016, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/30/2016 5:32 PM, Bob F wrote:
I just had a rental house re-roofed, and the tenants herb garden is
covered with a lot of dust from the job. Parsley, mint, etc. The roofer
said don't use the cedar shingles to start fires, because they used
arsenic on them for fireproofing, which I had never heard of. Now I'm
wondering if that garden is safe to use again. Has anyone ever
considered this problem and how to recover from it?

The roof was cedar shingles and 2 layers of composition, so lots of
dust from both.

The roofer, after research, reported that they hadn't started treating
the shingles anywhere near the late 40's when these shingles were
probably put on. Maybe there is no problem?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
The roofer, after research, reported that they hadn't started treating
the shingles anywhere near the late 40's when these shingles were
probably put on. Maybe there is no problem?

hope not!

songbird