Old 18-10-2016, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Baltimore Heat Wave

It's supposed to be in the low 80's for the next couple of days here in the Baltimore, MD, area. Then a rain front moves through and fall begins, temps dropping into the upper 50's. No frost in the near forecast, but it's possible around here at this time of the year.

Paul
Old 18-10-2016, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
It's supposed to be in the low 80's for the next couple of days here in the Baltimore, MD, area. Then a rain front moves through and fall begins, temps dropping into the upper 50's. No frost in the near forecast, but it's possible around here at this time of the year.

we've also had a nice warm spell here too.
yesterday when i checked the forecast there
wasn't any more rain for the week. today i
look and there are chances for today and then
in the middle of the week. close to freezing
overnight on Friday. i don't really count it
as done until we get a bit closer. especially
in the spring and fall when things can be
rather chaotic. we've already had a few hard
frosts.

cleaning up garden projects when the rains
let up enough. i have stuff to bury from the
tomatoes, squash and cucumbers and a few dry
bean pods to pick but i can't do that if it
keeps raining. i have two large gardens done
already, one more to go inside the fence and
then i can get the others done outside the
fence.

redid cement project so it can cure a bit
before it gets too cold. looks much better
than the one i did last year and will hopefully
not crack and come off.

songbird
Old 18-10-2016, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/18/2016 8:32 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
It's supposed to be in the low 80's for the next couple of days here in the Baltimore, MD, area. Then a rain front moves through and fall begins, temps dropping into the upper 50's. No frost in the near forecast, but it's possible around here at this time of the year.

Paul

Forecast for our area, NW Harris Cty, TX is 89F. No rain in sight but we
had a heavy dew before daylight, at least the fence and the grass were
damp. No relief in sight.
Old 19-10-2016, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 11:56:51 AM UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/18/2016 8:32 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
It's supposed to be in the low 80's for the next couple of days here in the Baltimore, MD, area. Then a rain front moves through and fall begins, temps dropping into the upper 50's. No frost in the near forecast, but it's possible around here at this time of the year.

Paul

Forecast for our area, NW Harris Cty, TX is 89F. No rain in sight but we
had a heavy dew before daylight, at least the fence and the grass were
damp. No relief in sight.

We've had very heavy dews for the past few nights. When the light fog lifted this morning, the Sun shone on the dewy asparagus plants, giving them an interesting glow.

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...cbo7d.jpg.html
Old 19-10-2016, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:42:09 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I did some cement work on Sunday for the same reason; great minds think alike.

Paul

Old 19-10-2016, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
I did some cement work on Sunday for the same reason; great minds think alike.

what did you work on?

it looks to have cured nicely. i'm letting it
dry out now as we have cold nights coming later
in the week.

when they poured the slab for the garage they
did not slant the front lip where the garage
door is at downwards to drain. so at times
during heavy rains it has leaked water back
into the garage. last year i put a narrow
ledge to keep the water out behind the garage
door and that mostly worked other than a bit
of it did not stick to the slab and so i
tried again later but that part was too late
and didn't cure right and also did not stick.

the new version i did is much wider and
looks to have stuck. also looks much nicer
overall.

today was beautiful out there, i got the
tomato plants buried so that garden area is
2/3rds done. still have to get the cucumber
area cleaned up/weeded and all that buried
but that will go much more quickly as it is
a much smaller area and the soil has already
been conditioned well.

songbird