Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default A month late ...

but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October , this is shaping up to be a weird winter .
Hoping for mild weather for about the next 3 weeks , until I get the new
bedroom dried in .
--
Snag

Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/12/2016 8:29 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October , this is shaping up to be a weird winter .
Hoping for mild weather for about the next 3 weeks , until I get the new
bedroom dried in .

What is this frost thing Snag? We're hitting mid to high fifties at
night and high seventies to eighties in the daytime. Our pear and fig
trees are still growing a second crop. Summer vegetables are still
producing, picked okra yesterday plus sweet peppers. I can remember when
Houston area had winters. I must be old.

George
Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October , this is shaping up to be a weird winter .

Hoping for mild weather for about the next 3 weeks , until I get the new
bedroom dried in .

dried in?

we had our first hard freeze last night (down
to 24 or so), but have had plenty of lighter
frosts.

songbird
Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/12/2016 4:29 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October , this is shaping up to be a weird winter .

Hoping for mild weather for about the next 3 weeks , until I get the new
bedroom dried in .

dried in?

we had our first hard freeze last night (down
to 24 or so), but have had plenty of lighter
frosts.

songbird

What exactly is frost and cold? It's mid-seventies and heading into
night fall here in Texas. VBG

Old 13-11-2016, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October , this is shaping up to be a weird winter .

Hoping for mild weather for about the next 3 weeks , until I get
the new bedroom dried in .

dried in?

we had our first hard freeze last night (down
to 24 or so), but have had plenty of lighter
frosts.

songbird

Dried in means walls up and sheathed , roof decking on and at least covered
with tarpaper . We'll end up with a 1464 sf house with one bedroom .
--
Snag

Old 13-11-2016, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/12/2016 6:59 PM, Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

but our first frost is predicted for tonight . Usually happens in
mid-October ,

In this part of FL, we don't usually get frost until January or
February; sometimes, in December but not very often. This year is as
normal as it gets. Beginning to get hints of autumn with nights near 50
and days in mid-high 70s. Of course, it won't last but I hope the mild
weather continues long enough for DW&I to get more "zipper cream"
crowder peas, which began picking today. The okra's gone (shaded out by
magnolia tree), late green beans have about had it but we're still
getting eggplants from the spring plants along with late cucumbers and
summer squash. "California wonder" peppers are still producing and DW
got a fair number of ripe jalapeño peppers before the raccoons found
them. Picking a few "little marvel" English peas and a handful of
greens is looking good.

We are in Harris Cty, TX Derald, USDA Zone 8B, used to be 9B until they
changed it. We're in the same temps as you, low fifties at sunrise,
going up to mid to high seventies and sometimes low eighties at this
time of year.

Still picking okra, sweet peppers, eggplant and have all the winter
stuff coming on pretty fast too. I mentioned before that our fig and
pear trees set new fruit about a month ago, an aberration I have not
seen before. Still picking a few kumquats every day but almost all are
gone now. Grass growing like crazy when we get a rain cloud over us for
a few minutes too.

Not much of a winter the last two or three years, we just keep hoping to
have at least some winter. We picked two medium buckets of eggplant this
afternoon and another small bucket of peppers. What we don't eat fresh,
or chop and freeze for later use goes to the church pantry for the poor.
The church ladies smile when they see my wife coming with a bucket. Plus
some of our elder neighbors, even some more elder than us, we're late
seventies, get a portion.

Old 13-11-2016, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Dried in means walls up and sheathed , roof decking on and at least covered
with tarpaper . We'll end up with a 1464 sf house with one bedroom .

ok, thanks, g.l. looks good from here for at
least the next week. dunno about down there...

songbird