Old 24-11-2016, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default not a creature was stirring

on TG yet!

hope everyone has a warm and happy TG
today!

songbird
Old 24-11-2016, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/24/2016 5:36 AM, songbird wrote:
on TG yet!

hope everyone has a warm and happy TG
today!

songbird

Ours will be Sunday, half the grands will be working today, eldest
grandson drives a UPS truck, the next one down is an elevator mechanic
and has a big job today and tomorrow. There will be sixteen of us in a
1400 square foot house with six kids in that crew, some little ones will
certainly be running around under foot and making lots of noise. Eldest
grandson has four daughters and the next one down has two sons. It's
going to be noisy and lots of fun and good food. Guess who taught our
daughter to cook?

George, up early again giving the allergic dawg her meds.

Old 25-11-2016, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Ours will be Sunday, half the grands will be working today, eldest
grandson drives a UPS truck, the next one down is an elevator mechanic
and has a big job today and tomorrow. There will be sixteen of us in a
1400 square foot house with six kids in that crew, some little ones will
certainly be running around under foot and making lots of noise. Eldest
grandson has four daughters and the next one down has two sons. It's
going to be noisy and lots of fun and good food. Guess who taught our
daughter to cook?

George, up early again giving the allergic dawg her meds.

we are in the lull between generations now, the younger
ones are just getting married and thinking about having
kids. us older ones are happily whatever. the noisy time
is the idiot dog barking.

hope y'alls have a great time!

songbird
Old 25-11-2016, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/25/2016 9:08 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Ours will be Sunday, half the grands will be working today, eldest
grandson drives a UPS truck, the next one down is an elevator mechanic
and has a big job today and tomorrow. There will be sixteen of us in a
1400 square foot house with six kids in that crew, some little ones will
certainly be running around under foot and making lots of noise. Eldest
grandson has four daughters and the next one down has two sons. It's
going to be noisy and lots of fun and good food. Guess who taught our
daughter to cook?

George, up early again giving the allergic dawg her meds.

we are in the lull between generations now, the younger
ones are just getting married and thinking about having
kids. us older ones are happily whatever. the noisy time
is the idiot dog barking.

hope y'alls have a great time!

songbird

We generally do have a great time. I keep telling my kids and grands
that "I made you, I can kill you and make another one." I don't think
the grands are afraid anymore, two men and a woman, all in their early
thirties, all over six feet tall and above 200 lbs, I'm not sure if they
think they can take me nowadays. G The great grands are still to young
to worry about, eldest just turned sixteen but the rest are younger.
When I met Miz Anne in 1958 I never dreamed we would have such a large,
extended family. I even like the spousal units they have, all good women
and men, hard workers too.

Sometimes they show up when we're doing heavy lifting and make us sit in
chairs and watch how they work. It doesn't get any better than having
descendants that truly love you and vice versa.

I'm slowing down again, partially paralyzed body parts just aren't
cooperating any more but I'm still getting around, Thank goodness for
electric carts at the supermarket. Went in, as usual, for our Friday
grub shopping. Mr. Kroger sent me $40 of checks and we saved over $70
with all the coupons, etc.

Wife discovered we were out of booze with the exception of Jim Beam
whiskey. Bought a half gallon of vodka, a quart of tequila, and a quart
of rum. And I don't even drink the stuff. I reckon she got enough to
last as long as the last bunch, which, I think, we bought 20 years ago.
Booze sure went up in price over 20 years. It's not that I'm against
alcohol but I am diabetic and Native American too. That stuff could
either kill me or make me kill someone else. BSEG

It warmed up again today, heavy, dark clouds out there and we are hoping
for some more rain. So far this month we've had almost two inches and
that's not enough.

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. all growing like crazy, looks
to be another good winter crop. Problem is that we have 30 cubic feet of
freezer and it is all full. I don't think we will go hungry for awhile.

George
Old 25-11-2016, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/25/2016 12:47 PM, Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

we are in the lull between generations now, the younger
ones are just getting married and thinking about having
kids. us older ones are happily whatever. the noisy time
is the idiot dog barking.

hope y'alls have a great time!

Same here. I grew up in family that conducted gigantic familial
schmooze fests on holidays and am grateful that my attendance at such
events no longer is required, expected, or requested; whew.
Fortunately, my family is so widely dispersed, primarily within the US
Southeast from DC southward, as to make such get-togethers impractical.
My wife sometimes comments favorably on her son's good judgement in
raising his children a thousand miles distant from grands!
T'giving day was ju-u-ust right, thankyouverymuch: Bright, sunny,
warm, with DW, me, the cats, and the garden in attendance and with just
enough cooking involved to tighen tummies.

We seldom do holidays on the holiday. Our grands, in their mid-thirties,
our kids in their mid-fifties, and us in our late seventies, get
together maybe twice a year but never on the exact holiday. Our daughter
is hosting and asked us all to NOT bring anything as she is doing the
whole thing on Sunday. That's good for us as we seldom cook huge meals
anymore, nor do we stuff ourselves silly as some young people do. Our
two eldest grandsons both work hard five to seven days a week and they
burn a lot of protein doing it so it is awesome to watch those two eat a
holiday meal. Even their own kids watch them with awe.

Yesterday dear wife and I had toasted cheese sandwiches and a piece of
cake from the store. She worked all day doing about fifteen fruit cakes,
which is her normal thing before Christmas. Her birth family are all in
Maryland so she will soon send off the packages. The rest of the fruit
cakes go to kids and grown grands plus local and distant friends. It
surely makes the house smell good and the dawg generally lays just
outside the kitchen and keeps an eye open for things falling off the
counter.

We were blessed with almost an inch of rain yesterday and it surely
looks like a rainy day may drop in on us today. Heavy overcast, very
little sun, wind out of the NE and a lot of us gardeners praying. Tap
water here is quite expensive and, honestly, there have been problems
with the water but not much.

I think I shall have a late lunch and then a long nap. Thank goodness
for naps.

George

Old 28-11-2016, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Yesterday dear wife and I had toasted cheese sandwiches and a piece of
cake from the store. She worked all day doing about fifteen fruit cakes,
which is her normal thing before Christmas.

Our toasted cheese was with mustard - close enough to Welsh
rabbit/raebit that I basically never bother with the actual thing. Other
than that, a lot of "clean out the freezer" eating has been going on as
we discover various things lurking in there.

Fruit cake - no wonder she needs booze...though I guess that sort is
actually all done baking by summer so it can marinate until wintertime.
I'd like to get my pseudonym and address included on an informational
note inside all the fruitcakes that may end up at places with the
stereotypical/cartoon-ish response (inedibility) to fruitcakes, as a
designated safe haven to ship them to where they will be appreciated. I
like them quite well, though what I usually bake is a stollen.

Old 28-11-2016, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/27/2016 9:14 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

[...]

We have a fairly large extended family and she has been baking those
fruit cakes for over fifty years now. She has four siblings that live on
the East Coast and they seem to like fruit cakes. I'm okay with them but
one small piece of cake a year is all I want. Might be the diabetes
thing and those cakes are loaded with sugars of one sort or another.

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving at our daughter's home with most of
our grands and great grands being there. Mostly finger food, all cooked
by our daughter and lots of good will and laughter. Her kids are all in
their mid-thirties but the greats range from age sixteen to four years
old, a good, loud, time and a time of remembrance back to when we had
our parents for holidays.

I had never bet on a long life as most of the men in my family died in
their late sixties early seventies but I do enjoy my children and really
enjoy the great grands. Life goes on in our children.

George, up early to dose the dawg again
Old 28-11-2016, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Yesterday dear wife and I had toasted cheese sandwiches and a piece of
cake from the store. She worked all day doing about fifteen fruit cakes,
which is her normal thing before Christmas.

Our toasted cheese was with mustard - close enough to Welsh
rabbit/raebit that I basically never bother with the actual thing. Other
than that, a lot of "clean out the freezer" eating has been going on as
we discover various things lurking in there.

i like a good grilled cheese sandwich once in
a while. with ham and mustard is an extra treat
once or twice a year. homemade bread.

Fruit cake - no wonder she needs booze...though I guess that sort is
actually all done baking by summer so it can marinate until wintertime.
I'd like to get my pseudonym and address included on an informational
note inside all the fruitcakes that may end up at places with the
stereotypical/cartoon-ish response (inedibility) to fruitcakes, as a
designated safe haven to ship them to where they will be appreciated. I
like them quite well, though what I usually bake is a stollen.

this is my favorite fruitcake:

http://store.societystjohn.com/#!/Wa...egory=18671487

at that price it's a rare treat, but worth it.

i thought about joining them at one time, spent
many days with them. nice place, it has changed so
much from when i was there.

songbird