Old 28-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Culinary herbFAQ part 4/7

Archive-name: food/culinary-herbs/part4
Posting-Frequency: monthly (on or about 20th)
Last-modified: 14Jun01
Version: 1.17

Available by ftp: ibiblio.org or sunsite.sut.ac.jp
/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbal-medicine/faqs/

--------------------------------------
2.17 Garlic

Latin name: Allium sativum.

--------------------------------------
2.17.1 Growing garlic
--------------------------------------

From TKSJOHN.ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu (John Pedlow):
Plant a clove every place you'd like a garlic plant to grow next year.
"Regular" garlic does not get "seed" heads. Rocambole garlic does. The
"seed" heads are not really seeds but are "bulblets" which may be planted
and will develop into garlic in a couple of years. These bulblets do have a
garlic flavor but I find them a bit bitter compared with garlic cloves.
Btw, my rocambole is just slightly smaller (head size) than my "regular"
garlic. and, I am unable to taste a difference between the two varieties.

--------------------------------------

From sallee.aol.com (Sallee):
The little bulblettes which are formed after the flower are the seeds for
the garlic plant, but they must be planted in the FALL to make big
beautiful garlic bulbs the following fall. Actually, the garlic knows the
best time to plant itself -- when that head dries, it drops it's seeds at
just the correct planting time.
The garlic also tells you the best harvesting time for the bulbs for
keeping and eating -- when that gooseneck flower stem unwinds fully, the
bulbs are fully formed, but have not yet started to petal outward. The
bulbs are still tightly closed and keep well.
I've grown award winning garlic in Nebraska for years by letting the plants
tell me when to pick this way.

--------------------------------------
2.17.2 Harvesting garlic
--------------------------------------

In news:rec.gardens.edible in May 2001

From Setzler christie.psknet.com:
the garlic plants will start to wilt and die back when the photo period

is correct, let the energy drain back to the bulb and the tops wilt
completely.

If you wait until the tops are completely brown, it may be too long. As
they start to brown, pull one up to see the shape of the head. If it is
completely covered with the papery covering and you can see the cloves
inside it is probably right. It you wait too long the cloves start to
separate, and will not keep as well. If you pick one too soon, that is fine
to eat.

--------------------------------------
2.17.3 Using / preserving garlic
--------------------------------------

From: NDooley.president-po.president.uiowa.edu

Garlic Jelly

2 T. butter or margarine
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled and minced
3 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
6 oz. liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook,
stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4 minutes).
Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and
mixture comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of jelly. Pour into
sterilized jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly.

--------------------------------------

From Schaller_Barb.htc.honeywell.com (Barb Schaller):
Here's a recipe from the Fall 1995 Kerr Kitchen Pantry publication:
"This unusual jelly can be used as a condiment: Simply add it to a meat
marinade or brush it on a roast while cooking. The combination of
ingredients results in an attractive light green color -- no food coloring
needed!"

Garlic Jelly

4 oz. peeled garlic cloves
2 cups white vinegar (labeled 5 percent acidity)
5 cups sugar
3 oz. package liquid pectin (Certo brand)

In a food processor or blender, blend garlic and 1/2 cup vinegar until
smooth. In 6- to 8-quart saucepan, combine garlic mixture, remaining 1-1/2
cups vinegar and sugar. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring
constantly. Quickly add pectin, return to a boil and boil hard for 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately fill hot,
sterilized half-pint jars with jelly, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar
tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and apply screw bands
firmly. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Yield: 5 half-pint
jars.

--------------------------------------

Garlic jam

From: Sam Waring waring.ima.infomail.com

4 Garlic head, whole (~14 oz)
1 T Olive oil, extra-virgin
1 md Onion; unpeeled & halved lengthwise
Salt (opt)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Using a large sharp knife, cut off 1/2-inch from
the top of each head of garlic to expose some of the flesh.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over the bottom of a gratin or glass pie
dish. Place the garlic and the onion halves cut sides down in the dish,
cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until very soft to the
touch. Uncover and let cool for 20 minutes. Peel the onion halves and
finely chop them. Place in a medium bowl.
Squeeze the garlic pulp from the skins into the bowl; discard the skins.
Using a fork, stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and mash with the onion
and garlic until thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt if desired. (The
garlic jam will keep refrigerated in a glass jar for up to 2 weeks.)
Makes 1-1/3 cups.
Use this condiment with roasted meats or as a spread for toasted croutons
or cold meat sandwiches, or try a spoonful of it mixed into homemade salad
dressings and sauces.
Source: Food & Wine - December, 1993

--------------------------------------

From hattie.netcom.com (Susan Hattie Steinsapir):
Garlic bulbs - intact - keep well if given enough air about them. I keep a
pound or so on hand, ordinarily, in a bowl on the counter. If it starts to
go bad, usually you'll notice that it's sprouting much as an onion or
potato would.
It's great baked - then squeeze the paste out onto toasted baguettes.
Absolutely *DO NOT* store it in oil. Doing this can lead to death by
bacterial contamination.
I don't know about freezing it. I usually use it up before I really have to
consider such a course.

--------------------------------------

From ness.tc.fluke.COM (Jerry Ness):
I break up the garlic bulb and peel each clove of garlic. I put all the
cloves of garlic in one of those pint jars with the glass lid, wire bale
and red rubber gasket. I fill the jar with Gallo cocktail sherry and put it
in the 'fridge.
I tried the oil method with the same kind of jar in the 'fridge but after a
couple of weeks the hiss of exhausting gasses when I opened the jar made me
more than a little suspect that something wasn't right with this method.
I have had no spoilage problems with the sherry/garlic method. An extra
bonus is the garlic flavored sherry for stir fry, Yum!

--------------------------------------

From hattie.netcom.com (Susan Hattie Steinsapir):
The best part of a pickle is the pickled garlic. It's the safest thing for
me to eat - I can eat about 3 of them and not salt out. I've seen pickled
garlic in the stores. It costs 3 USD to 4 USD for a half-pint. Garlic is
cheap, this stuff is way overpriced! So, I wanted to pickle it myself but
needed a recipe. Voila! Here's a recipe for pickled garlic from the Kerr
Kitchen *Pantry*.

Pickled garlic

3 cups peeled garlic cloves (this was the tough part!)
1.5 cups white vinegar (5 percent acidity)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t pickling salt

Add garlic cloves to pan of boiling water. When water returns to a boil,
boil for one minute. Drain and pack into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2
inch headspace. Heat vinegar, sugar, and salt to boiling. Pour boiling
pickling liquid over garlic, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Carefully run a
nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe
jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and apply screw bands
firmly. Process in Boiling Water Bath Canner for 10 minutes.
Yield: 3 1/2 pints.
I'll probably use less sugar, more salt. I know that I'll add hot pepper
flakes for some extra kick.
As an addendum, from Susan Hattie Steinsapir:
When I pickled the garlic, I soaked it overnight in the fridge in vinegar.
I poked holes in it so the vinegar could penetrate it better and then I
boiled it in the vinegar. I didn't use sugar at all but used more salt. I
haven't opened a jar yet but gave one to my sister. She was thrilled.

--------------------------------------

From jouet.aol.com (JOUET):

Garlic Soup 1

1 clove garlic
2 tbs. olive oil
3 tbs. butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 Cups chicken stock
4 slices white bread, crusts removed
2/3 Cup light cream
1 ounce blanched almonds, finely chopped
Garnish: fresh parsley or chives, chopped

Separate the garlic cloves, removing the papery skins. Heat the oil in a
pan, add the garlic, and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Remove from
the heat. Cook, then skin. Roughly chop the flesh.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the garlic and onion, cover, and
cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes until the onion is soft. Pour in the
stock, add the bread, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor. Add the cream and almonds
and blend until smooth. Garnish and serve
NOTES: Garlic that has been smoked over oak chips adds a great flavor but
regular garlic will work quite well.

Garlic Soup 2

1 whole garlic bulbs
2 quarts water
2 teaspoons salt
a pinch of pepper
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon bay leaf
4 sprigs parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 whole egg yolks
4 tablespoons olive oil
some grated Parmesan cheese

Separate the garlic cloves, drop into boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain,
plunge into cold water, and peel. Put the garlic with the 2 quarts of
water, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and olive oil into a
large saucepan and boil slowly for 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
Beat the egg yolks in a soup tureen until they are thick. Beat in the oil
very slowly, as if making mayonnaise. Just before serving, beat a cup of
the hot soup into the egg mixture slowly, so that the eggs heat gradually.
Strain in the rest of the soup through a sieve, beating constantly; keeping
back the garlic and seasonings. Press the garlic against the sieve to get
the juice out. Serve at once with fresh French bread or croutons and
cheese.
Alternative: instead of the oil and egg mix in the tureen, strain the soup
and return it to the pot. Add 3 cups potatoes, diced, and a pinch of
saffron; simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

Garlic Soup 3

1/2 cup oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 oz stale white bread, crusts removed, crumbled
1 teaspoon paprika
pinch salt
pinch cayenne pepper
4 cups water
3 whole tomatoes, peeled and coarsely
2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
Garnish: 2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and saute until soft but not
brown. Add the bread and cook over moderate heat until light golden but do
not brown. Add the paprika, salt, cayenne, water, and tomatoes, then simmer
for 30 minutes over low heat.
With a wooden spoon, beat the soup until the bread disintegrates. While
beating, add the eggs. Simmer for a few moments but do not boil. The soup
should be highly seasoned. If necessary, add more cayenne and salt.
Garnish with parsley and serve.

--------------------------------------

From Susan Hattie Steinsapir hattie.netcom.com:
Here's yet another garlic soup recipe. This one from Elizabeth David's
*French Country Cooking*.

Soupe A L'Ail

This version is from Languedoc.
Put 2 tablespoons of goose or other good dripping into a deep earthenware
casserole. In this, gently melt 24 cloves of garlic without letting them
brown. (Note, most of us don't have goose fat or an earthenware casserole.
I usually have some schmaltz - rendered chicken fat - on hand, or use a
mixture of butter and olive oil. Use an enameled soup pot.)
Over this pour 3 to 4 pints of warmed stock or water. Season with salt,
black pepper, nutmeg and mace. Cook for 15 minutes. Put the soup through a
sieve. (By this, I think you mush the garlic cloves through.) Return the
soup to the pot to reheat it.
In a bowl, beat the yolks of three to four eggs with three tablespoons of
olive oil. Stir some of the soup into the eggs, then pour the egg mixture
back into the soup without letting it boil again.
Have some slices of stale bread, toasted in the oven with the egg whites
(not beaten) spread over them. Put these bread slices into a soup dish and
pour the soup over them.
Should serve 4 to 6 easily. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------
2.18 Thyme

Latin name: Thymus vulgaris and other Thymus species.

--------------------------------------
2.18.1 Growing thyme
--------------------------------------

From: skifast123.aol.com (SkiFast123)
Transplanting thyme: a suggestion made by Adelma Grenier Simmons (of
Caprilands, CT fame) in one of her many herb pamphlets is to bury one-half
of the plant along with the roots in the soil. In other words, you will
only, after transplanting, be able to see 1/2 of the plant that you had
formerly. The other 1/2 will be underground.

Since thyme is tricky to transplant because its roots are so fine and in my
experience easy to sever from the main plant, this method has worked with
good results for me.

--------------------------------------
2.19 Lemon grass

Latin names:
Lemon grass: Cymbopogon citratus.
Citronella grass: Cymbopogon nardus

--------------------------------------
2.19.2 Harvesting lemon grass
--------------------------------------

From: stoddard.aruba.ccit.arizona.edu (Mari J Stoddard)
Scissor off the top third of the leaves, [dry] and use in tea or potpourri.
Do this whenever you have lots of points sticking up, rather than harvested
edges. I love to mix it with mint and Texas Ranger (all three fresh off the
plant). Supposed to be good for throat complaints (cough, soreness). Rose
petals or hibiscus makes for a prettier color.

Cut off a clump to ground level, use bottom third in cooking - sliced fine
or diced. Traditionally boiled in soups or sauces. For instance, lemon
grass clump, chicken broth, coconut milk, garlic and a bit of fish sauce
makes a great soup. Wait till you have at least three clumps.

Cut off a clump almost to ground level and lay on the BBQ grill under fish
or poultry. I usually separate the clump vertically into 1/4- 1/2 inch
diameter lengths and grill them for about a minute before putting down the
fish.

Separate the pot contents into clumps, and plant each clump in a new pot.

--------------------------------------

From: Christopher Loffredo cloffred.umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Either start by trimming off some of the older blades every few weeks,
leaving some young shoots on the plant, then (1) roll up each blade into a
tight curl or tie it into a bow and freeze it at once inside a plastic bag,
or (2) dry the leaves, chop them up, and store in jars.

If you use the freezer method all you have to do is thaw the lemon grass
and it's ready to use. Dried lemon grass needs to be softened up if you're
going to cook with it, so place some in a small bowl with a few tablespoons
of hot water and let it soak for a while before cooking.

--------------------------------------
2.19.3 Using / preserving lemon grass
--------------------------------------

From: ehunt.bga.com (Eric Hunt)
This should be a great refresher.

Iced Lemongrass Tea

1/4 c Chopped fresh lemongrass-tops or
2 tbs. Dried flakes
4 c Boiling water
Sugar to taste

Preheat teapot with boiling water; discard water. Add lemongrass and
boiling water, steep 8 to 10 minutes; strain. Allow to cool, sweeten to
taste, and serve in tall glasses with ice. Yield: 4 servings

--------------------------------------

From: albersa.aztec.asu.edu (ANN ALBERS)

Lemon Grass Crockpot Chicken & Thai soup from the leftover stock

1 whole chicken
8 young lemongrass stalks, 4-6" long (use the tender white parts from the
base of young shoots. These are tastiest)
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Rub all over with butter and then salt and
pepper to taste. Stuff about half the lemongrass stalks in the cavity of
the chicken and put it in a crockpot, or Dutch oven. Make slits in the skin
and insert the other stalks. Trim if necessary to fit these in. Pour water
over the chicken to submerge it about halfway and cook on low 6-8 hrs till
tender.
Now, you can eat the chicken and make Thai soup out of the lemon grass
stock. To make the soup, strain all the stuff out of the stock. Add a can
of coconut milk, several shakes of red pepper flakes, bits of leftover
chicken that you've shredded and then salt and pepper to taste. Heat
thoroughly & in the last five minutes of cooking time add some sliced
mushrooms, & green onions. Yum.

Other ideas:

Make lemongrass tea. I never measure, just pour boiling water over the
leaves or stems and steep till it's well-colored. Add honey to taste.

Use the tender young shoots, chopped in stir fry dishes to add flavor. It's
good with stir fried chicken, water chestnuts, sliced carrots and broccoli.
I usually stir fry the lemongrass shoots first (about an hour ahead of
time) in a little oil then mix with teriyaki or soy sauce, some ginger, and
cornstarch to thicken. Then, after stir-frying the rest of the stuff, dump
the sauce over all and allow it to thicken. Serve with rice.

--------------------------------------

From: Sam Waring waring.ima.infomail.com

Nasi Kuneng (Yellow rice)

1 lemon grass stalk or lemon zest
2 1/2 c rice
1 1/2 c coconut milk
3 c water
2 1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1 sl galangal, dry
1 bay leaf
1 krapau leaf

Once reserved for religious ceremonies, nasi kuneng is still served on
special occasions in Indonesia. This sweet and aromatic centerpiece of a
dish is perfect with satay.

Cut lemon grass into pieces about 3" long and tie into a bundle. In a
3-quart pan combine lemon grass, rice, coconut milk, water, turmeric, salt,
galangal, bay leaf, and citrus leaf. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring gently every now
and then, just until liquid is absorbed. To finish cooking, steam according
to one of the methods listed below.

To steam in cooking pan: cover pan, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice
is tender (15-20 minutes). Halfway thru estimated cooking time, gently
fluff rice with 2 forks. Remove and discard seasonings. Transfer to a
serving bowl or mound rice on a platter into a rounded cone.

To steam using traditional method: transfer rice and seasonings to a
colander or steamer basket insert. Into a large kettle, pour water to a
depth or 1 1/2 inches: bring to boil over high heat. Place colander in
kettle. Cover and reduce heat, steam until rice is tender (about 20
minutes). Remove and discard seasonings. Serve as noted above.

-- per Larry Haftl

--------------------------------------

From arielle.Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Stephanie da Silva):

Lemongrass Drink

A handful of fresh lemongrass leaves, preferable the soft grassy tops,
or the top half of 12 fresh green stalks
3 cups cold water
1/4 cup sugar syrup

Cut the leaves or tops into 2-inch lengths, measure out 1 1/2 cups, loosely
packed. In a blender, combine the tops, water and syrup and blend at high
speed until the water is a vivid green and the lemongrass
leaves are reduced to fine, short, needlelike pieces, about 1 minute.
Strain through a very fine sieve into a large pitcher, spoon off and
discard green foam. Taste to see if it's sweet enough, and add more syrup
if you like. Serve in tall glasses over ice.

Sugar syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until
liquid has thickened and colored slightly, about 5 minutes. Cool.

--------------------------------------
2.19.4 Which lemon grass do you have?
--------------------------------------

A friend told me he was buying small lemon grass plants to put in his

garden to help keep away bugs.
Has anyone ever heard of lemon grass as a bug (I assume he meant, gnats,

etc.) deterrent?
Perhaps there is a connection to citronella?

From Rastapoodle.newsguy.com (Rastapoodle):
Boy, are we confused here folks, but it is a common mistake. Here's the
story: Lemongrass, a delightful plant, and it's close cousin, Citronella
have many wonderful properties, releasing their scent into the air not
being one of them.

Lemongrass is wonderful to eat, Citronella is *not*. They look similar, so
be careful what you buy. Citronella is distilled to extract its oil, which
is used in insect repellent candles, burning coils, etc.

Very interestingly, a Dutch plant scientist did some genetic engineering
and spliced the oil gene of the Citronella into a Pelargonium (scented
geranium) plant. The resultant plant looks like a scented geranium, but
gives off the fragrance of Citronella (and rose, the original scent of the
geranium) to the air with just a breeze or a kiss from the sun.

The hybrid is called Citrosa, and it is patented (you can't make cuttings
for sale). A fully grown Citrosa (about 4 x 4 feet here in Miami) is
supposed to protect a 100 sq. ft area from mosquitoes.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Anya

PS I have planted my Citrosa among my Lemongrass for an ironic statement.

--------------------------------------

I would like to know if it is worth while to grow citronella plants with

the idea that I can make citronella candles. I don't believe I have seen
these plants in any of my order catalogs and none of my gardening books
tell how you get the citronella out of the plants.

From: adgrant.water.waterw.com (Andrew Grant):
Commercially the oil is extracted by steam distillation using old extracted
plants as fuel. I doubt that you want to get that elaborate. I have never
tried it but I suspect that the plants could be chopped up and extracted
with a solvent like alcohol or toluene. Of course you would then have to
boil off the solvent. If you do contemplate this, know that the % oil in
the plant is low (I have forgotten the number) so your yield will be low.

Incidentally the notion that citronella discourages mosquitoes is not well
supported by my experience. I have seen mosquito larvae in rain water on
top of drums of citronella oil with oil droplets in the water!!!

--------------------------------------
2.20 Horseradish

Latin name: Armoracia rusticana.

--------------------------------------
2.20.1 Growing horseradish
--------------------------------------

With this plant, the problem is less how to get it to grow and more how to
get rid of it later. To illustrate:

From: david bennett dabennet.mailbox.syr.edu
I need some help; how do I get rid of horseradish which I planted a number
of years ago that now threatens to take over my garden? Key issue is no
matter how deep you dig; you never get all of the root out. Now there hides
beneath the soil an infant root waiting to become a big plant next year,
etc.

--------------------------------------

From eberts.donald.uoregon.edu (sonny hays-eberts), to above:
Learn to appreciate horseradish - I doubt you'll be able to eradicate it
short of using some harsh chemical means. you'll very likely have to settle
for control instead of removal.

If your soil is not heavy clay, I'd recommend spading up the area and using
a sieve to extract as many runners as possible. depending on the area of
your problem, that may be some work.

You can also pinch off all the leaves (continuously) in an effort to
deplete the roots of energy.

You may also have some luck by using a large sheet of black plastic to
mulch the area, though I'd not recommend this in times of extreme heat, it
tends to bake the soil pretty badly.

Another method used to contain such invasive plants is to ring the area
with some sort of buried edging; I know of people who cut the bottoms off
five gallon plastic buckets, bury them and plant the horseradish in the
center of each bucket (the bottom is removed for drainage).

While it's too late to do that, you may be able to define an area, trench
it, and bury a foot or two of something (metal will corrode eventually,
wood will rot, plastic isn't very organic and eventually becomes brittle,
all end up needing to be replaced over time) to restrict underground
movement.

--------------------------------------
2.20.3 Using horseradish
--------------------------------------

also see 4.9.5 Mustards, below.

--------------------------------------

From: rcook.BIX.com (Rick Cook)
First get a gas mask . . .

Seriously, the root is incredibly pungent when you're grinding it. You can
simply peel and grate it and use as is, or you can mix with mustard,
vinegar, cream, etc. for various sauces.

A word of warning: Proceed slowly. Fresh horseradish is a lot hotter than
the stuff you get in bottles.

--------------------------------------

From: CAOwens.ix.netcom.com (Christine A. Owens )
Dig up the root. Wash carefully, and peel like a carrot. Grate very fine.
Add 1 T cider vinegar and a pinch of salt per 1/2 c. Store frozen, or in
the refrigerator.

You can add a couple of ounces of grated horseradish to vinegar, and let it
sit for a couple of weeks to produce a spiced vinegar with a real 'zip'. A
small amount of grated horseradish added to any dressing or sauce will pep
it up effectively. Mix powdered mustard, the vinegar of your choice, and
grated horseradish in equal volumes for the best mustard in the world.

BTW, horseradish greens are also very good, either diced very fine as an
addition to a salad, steamed like spinach, or sauteed in a little butter or
oil.

--------------------------------------

From: NDooley.president-po.president.uiowa.edu

Horseradish Jelly

3 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. prepared horseradish
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
6 oz. liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, horseradish and vinegar over medium
heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to
a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from
heat. Skim foam from top of jelly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
Yield: about 3 C. jelly. Delicious with meat or cream cheese/crackers.

--------------------------------------

From cleek.ns.sympatico.ca (Dr Corinne B Leek):
Seriously, the root is incredibly pungent when you're grinding it.

True, true, true. I just finished doing my own horseradish sauce yesterday.
My eyes are still raw!! VBG Though using a food processor and blender
reduce the work load, it doesn't help with the pungency problem.

Horseradish Sauce - Pickled Style

2 C Grated Horseradish
1 tsp Pickling Salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
3 C White Vinegar

Mix salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve. Remove
from heat and stir in horseradish.
* Remember that if the horseradish itself is heated, the oils that provide
the pungency will be damaged. *

--------------------------------------
2.21 Fennel

Latin name: Foeniculum vulgare.

--------------------------------------
2.21.1 Growing fennel
--------------------------------------

From: Sonny Hays-Eberts eberts.oregon.uoregon.edu:
Fennel is easy to grow, growing wild in many areas. An annual, it looks
like dill, only slightly more coarse. I've had problems in wet years with
it getting some sort of mold, but is generally quite troublefree. It
prefers full sun and well-drained soil. Seeds can be planted as soon as
frost danger is past. It's best to blanch (cover with dirt) the bulbs if
you plan on harvesting them to keep them tender. Plants should be thinned
to about a foot apart. You should get some volunteers if you let them go to
seed.

--------------------------------------
2.21.2 Harvesting fennel
--------------------------------------

From: Sonny Hays-Eberts eberts.oregon.uoregon.edu:
The tender leaves may be diced and used to add a hint of licorice flavor
and is great to use with seafood. Fennel seed can be used with poppy seed,
sesame seed, celery or dill seed on bread. The bulb of the plant is also
commonly harvested, though I always let mine go to seed instead. For best
flavor harvest the leaves just as the flowers are starting to bloom.

--------------------------------------

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to store or prepare the surplus of

fennel seeds in my yard?

From: HerbalMuse.aol.com
If you intend to use the seeds in baking or other cooking, then you must
collect them from the flower heads as soon as they begin to turn brown, or
they will fall to the ground to re-seed. I store whole dill seed heads (as
you can do with fennel) in paper bags and keep them in a cool, dry pantry
in the basement. Fennel seeds are excellent with grilled or broiled fish,
chicken, with tomato based soups, and of course, in breads, cakes &
cookies.

If the seeds have already fallen to the ground, and are not cleared away,
you can expect to see the emergence of new plants in early spring. This may
delight you, however you should consider where these plants will grow in
relation to the rest of garden. Fennel should be grown in a bed of it's own
since most herbs won't do well in its presence, and it will stunt tomatoes
and bush beans.

--------------------------------------
2.21.3 Using / preserving fennel
--------------------------------------

From: Sonny Hays-Eberts eberts.oregon.uoregon.edu:
The leaves and seeds may be dried. The leaves may also be frozen. The
tastiest way I've had it is from a local restaurant, Ambrosia. A dish
called fettucine Gamberi, it had fettucine (duh!) in a parmesan cream sauce
with garlic, fennel leaves, parsley, scallops, shrimp, capers and fresh
tomatoes. Quite tasty! Fennel has an anise or licorice flavor, and can be
used to flavor cheeses, vegetables and some pastries in addition to
seafood.

--------------------------------------
2.21.4 Which Fennel do you have?
--------------------------------------

From: Sonny Hays-Eberts eberts.oregon.uoregon.edu:
There are two common types of fennel; Bronze Fennel and Common Fennel also
known as Finocchio (or Florence Fennel). True to it's name, the Bronze
Fennel's foliage is a dusky brown. My experience has all been with bronze
fennel, which is pretty in the garden as well as useful for cooking.

--------------------------------------
2.22 Anise hyssop

Latin name: Agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop)
Agastache rugosa (licorice mint, korean hyssop)
Hyssopus officinalis (hyssop)

--------------------------------------
2.22.3 Using / preserving Anise hyssop
--------------------------------------

From: Patrick Millard ac577.dayton.wright.edu
They are attracive in the garden with long spikes of blue-purple flowers.
They are considered to be good bee forage. They will grow well indoors
under flourescent lighting, blooming about 2 months after seeding. Anise
Hyssop is native to N. central U.S. I used the leaves and flowers in salads
and for flavoring meat dishes. They are supposed to good as a tea also.

--------------------------------------
2.22.4 Which hyssop do you have?
--------------------------------------

Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) is not the same plant as hyssop
(Hyssopus officinalis). There are some Agastache species that are actually
tasty even if you don't like the taste of anise. Hyssop never tastes of
anise, instead it's got a nice lemony tinge, which is especially evident
after you've dried the flowering tops. Add hyssop to your herbal tea, or to
your meat dishes - yum!

--------------------------------------
2.23 Parsley

Latin name: Petroselinum crispum.

--------------------------------------
2.23.1 Growing parsley
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
Parsley is a biennial. Plant seeds early in the spring (they're a little
slow to germinate). The first year, you get plenty of leaves, on fairly
long stems that come from the crown of the plant. The second year, you get
a couple of leaves and a long bloom stalk, which looks very much like Queen
Anne's Lace (they're related.) If you let it go to seed, some of the seed
will grow the next year.

To have a steady supply of parsley for cooking, you should plant two years
in a row. After that, it will self-sow if you let it.

Parsley's easy to grow - reasonable soil, sun, and water if you have a long
dry spell. The only pest I ever had was leaf miners, and the damage was
minimal.

--------------------------------------
2.23.2 Harvesting parsley
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
Pick leaves from the plant, stem and all. The first year, the more you
pick, the more leaves you'll get. The second year, there are only a couple
of leaves, and no more will grow, because the plant is working on bloom and
seeds.

--------------------------------------
2.23.2 Using/preserving parsley
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
The flat "Italian" parsley is the most strongly flavored. If you're going
to use it for cooking, this is the kind to get. Curly parsley is much
prettier on a plate, but doesn't have as much flavor. Use it mostly for
garnishes.

Parsley is, of course, a classic garnish. A sprig of curly parsley on a
plate really dresses it up. You can also chop parsley and sprinkle it on
meats, vegetables, etc.

Parsley is also a classic soup herb. When you're making stock, parsley is
one of the "aromatic vegetables" that's recommended to make the flavor
richer. For this, use stem and all; in fact, this is a good place to use
stems that you've cut off from pieces used for garnish.

It's a wonderful addition to a cooked vegetable, especially green beans or
peas. Tends to accentuate the flavor of the vegetable.

It's good in salads, too, adding a different "green" texture and flavor.
It's a bit too strong to be used by itself, for most people's taste.

Parsley can be chopped and dried, or chopped and frozen in ice cubes. The
cubes are great added to soup or a sauce. The dried parsley can be added as
is to a dish to be cooked or used as a garnish on soup, or soaked in a
little bit of water and sprinkled on top of already- cooked food as a
garnish.

--------------------------------------
2.24 Monarda

Latin name: Monarda didyma and other Monarda species.

--------------------------------------
2.24.1 Growing Monarda
--------------------------------------

From: jnewbo.aol.com (Jnewbo)
My Monarda didyma 'Cambridge Scarlet' (the most common one) doesn't stay in
place; it moves forward on flat stems near the surface. That means it
creeps forward and needs to be divided and resituated every two-three years
or so. It also is prone to mildew - but the crown-like scarlet blooms are
fabulous.

A more well-behaved variety is the pink one, 'Croftway Pink'; it has more
lanceolate leaves and smaller blooms, but the bees (including
hummingbird-moth) love it, and it enlarges in the more traditional way,
increasing the clump rather than traveling all over the garden.

Both bloom about three weeks, maybe more (sometimes I get "double" and even
"triple decker" crowns on the red one). After that clip back and you may
get more smaller blooms after a while.

--------------------------------------

From: Tristan Hatton-Ellis Tristan.Hatton-Ellis.bris.ac.uk
Both 'Croftway Pink' and 'Cambridge Scarlet' are rather mildew-prone. You
may be interested to know that there are a whole range of new hybrids that
have come out, bearing the names of the signs of the zodiac, that are much
more mildew-resistant. They come in colours from purple through red and
pink to white.

Monardas are also much less prone to getting mildew (and also grow and
flower much better) in a dampish soil, or at least in a place where they do
not get too dry in summer.

--------------------------------------

an354.FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Barbara)
Monarda didyma, also known as Bergamot and Bee Balm is a hardy perennial
which grows 2-3 feet tall. Bees love it.

The plant spreads fairly quickly through its root system. Divide every
three years, discarding the dead centre of the root. The plant will grow
well in sun or part shade. The flowers last 4-6 weeks.

--------------------------------------
2.24.3 Using / preserving Monarda
--------------------------------------

From: an354.FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Barbara)
Monarda didyma, Bergamot or Bee Balm: The leaves dry well and can be used
to make a tea that tastes like Earl Grey tea.

From: jnewbo.aol.com (Jnewbo)
The leaves and flowers of Cambridge scarlet are marvelous,
bergamotty-flavored things, though I found the tea rather scratchy on the
throat.

From: Marylin.Kraker.bbs.c4systm.com (Marylin Kraker)
Mondarda does make good tea, which is why it's also called Oswego tea. It's
not the same as the bergamot in Earl Grey, which is a tropical citrus.

From: Conrad Richter conrad.richters.com
Both the leaves and flowers can be used. The flowers, of course, add nice
colour. Some say that the flowers have a more delicate flavour, and of the
various varieties, the red bergamot is the creme-de-la-creme.

--------------------------------------
2.24.5 Monarda and the bergamot flavor in Earl Grey tea
--------------------------------------

So I heard from someone that bee balm is sorta-kinda the same plant that

gives Earl Grey tea its distintive taste. Is this true?

From hetta.saunalahti.fi:
No, it isn't. The flavor in Earl grey tea comes from the bergamot orange,
Citrus aurantia var. bergamia. Monarda just has the same flavor, so you
-can- make your own Earl grey tea using Monarda leaves. Storebought Earl
grey uses abovementioned citrus.

--------------------------------------
2.25 Ginger

Latin name: Zingiber officinale

--------------------------------------
2.25.3 Using / preserving ginger
--------------------------------------

Also see 4.8.2, Ginger beer, below.

--------------------------------------

From wouk.alumni.cs.colorado.edu (Arthur Wouk):
I have a couple of receipes that call for crystallized ginger. Much to my

dismay it's about $7.00 per bottle. Upon close examination is looks like
nothing more than peeled ginger coarsely chopped and slathered in sugar.
How far off the mark am I??

You are off by about 8 hours of cooking the ginger in a sugary syrup.

--------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to make preserved ginger? I've also seen it called

crystalized ginger. It is small chunks of sugar-coated ginger and the
texture is quite chewy. If you have a recipe for this I would appreciate a
copy.

From: Eve Dexter (evedex.hookup.net)
Scrape and cut into 1/4 inch slices enough non-fibrous young Ginger root to
make 1 quart. Put the slices into a large non-aluminum pat and cover
generously with water. Bring slowly to the boil an simmer, covered until
tender (20 min). Add 1 cup sugar and stir until the mixture boils. Remove
from heat.
Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
Recook, simmering gently for about 15 min (after coming to the boil). Add 1
seeded sliced lemon and 1 cup light corn syrup. Uncover and simmer 15
minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let stand covered overnight.
Bring the mixture to the boil again and add 1 cup sugar and simmer for 30
min STIRRING CONSTANTLY (burns easily). Add 1 cup sugar, bring back to the
boil and remove from heat.
Cover and let stand overnight again.
In the fourth cooking, bring the mixture to a boil once more. When the
syrup drops heavily from the side of a spoon, and the ginger is
translucent, pour the mixture into sterile jars and seal. This yields about
5 cups.
If you want Candied ginger...drain the ginger after the last cooking.
Reserve the syrup for flavoring sauces and allow the slices to dry on a
sheet or better still a rack, overnight. When well dried, roll in
granulated sugar and store in tightly covered glass jars.

--------------------------------------

From: albersa.aztec.asu.edu (ANN ALBERS)
Before grilling a thick whitefish, I sometimes coat it with this mixtu

1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1/2-inch gingerroot, chopped very fine
Sweet but tasty.

Slivered macadamia nuts or almonds may be sprinkled on after the fish comes
off the grill.

--------------------------------------

From: jdtrach.islandnet.com (Julia Trachsel)

This is a great recipes which I always make in our cool, rainy season out
here on the west coast. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and guests
do.

Gingerbread

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teas. baking soda
1 tbsp. ginger
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cloves
1 cup boiling water
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup crystalized ginger, chopped

Cream shortening, sugar, add beaten egg and molasses. Add dry ingredients.
Add boiling water, mix well. Add chopped crystalized ginger and stir
gently. Pour inti 2 small greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60
minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean when the
gingerbread is done.

My personal twist to this recipe is to add 1 cup of crystalized ginger
(instead of 1/2 cup) and to serve it with hot lemon pie filling which has
been extended by adding enough extra water to make it pourable.

--------------------------------------
2.26 Anise

Latin name: Pimpinella anisum, aniseed, the plant covered here.

Illicium anisatum (I. verum), star anise, is a half-tropical bush, and not
found in your usual temperate herb gardens; this one is not covered here.

--------------------------------------
2.26.1 Growing aniseed
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Anise is an annual herb native to the Mediterranean- Egypt, Greece, Crete,
and Asia Minor. It is a rather fussy herb; it likes perfect weather of
uniform rainfall and temperatures. It wilts under excessive heat but
requires full sun, and it does not transplant well.

Propagation is by seed, and be sure the seed is fresh. Seeds need a
temperature of 70F to germinate, and will germinate in 7 to 14 days. Sow
1/4 to 1/2 inch deep in light, well-drained, medium-rich sandy soil. A pH
of 6.0 to 7.5 is best. Space 3 inch seedlings 6 to 12 inches apart.

--------------------------------------
2.26.2 Harvesting anise
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Harvest seeds as soon as the tip of the seed turns gray (they should not be
black), anywhere from 60 to 130 days after planting, depending on climate.
Since Anise is an annual, collect seeds either by pulling up the entire
plant, or by just cutting the tops off. Spread plants to dry. Thresh.

--------------------------------------
2.26.3 Using / preserving anise
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Use fresh leaves as a garnish or flavoring for salads. They can be cooked
as a pot-herb.
Flowers are occasionally dried and powdered as a flavoring for wine.
Seeds are used in bread, pastries, cookies, vegetables, baked apples,
applesauce, cheese, desserts, plum jam, brandy, cordials, and milk. 1/2 to
1 tsp per 4 quarts of potato or lentil soup, 1/2 tsp crushed in salads.
Use ground anise seed quickly, it loses its strength fast.

--------------------------------------
2.27 Borage

Latin name: Borago officinalis.

--------------------------------------
2.27.1 Growing borage
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Borage is a very hardy annual native to the Mediterranean. It grows to 2
feet tall, or even 5 feet in rich soil, and has beautiful blue flowers. It
is an extremely tolerant plant, doing well in average and poor dry soils
(pH between 5 and 8), but it is difficult to transplant due to its tap
root. It is a good plant for container culture, planted in a large tub with
smaller herbs arranged around the edge.

Borage is easily grown from seed. Plant 1/2 in. deep (about the time of the
last frost outdoors), seeds will germinate in 7 to 14 days. Plant in full
sun or partial shade, thin 18 in. to 2 feet apart. To encourage leaf
growth, supply rich moist soil. To encourage flowers, hold the fertilizer
and give plenty of sun.

Leaves give off sparks and pop when burned due to nitrate of potash.

--------------------------------------
2.27.3 Using / preserving borage
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Fresh leaves are best, but can be dried. Harvest leaves for drying as plant
begins to flower. Dry very carefully - quickly, good air circulation, and
with no overlapping of leaves. Flowers can be dried to add color to
potpourri.

Fresh leaves and flowers have a spicy, cucumber-like taste and an
onion-like smell. Young leaves or peeled stems are good chopped in salads,
or leaves can be boiled as a pot-herb. The flowers make a colorful addition
to salads and a flavorful addition to lemonade. Add borage to cabbage-type
vegetables, gravies, or spiced punches. In some areas of France, the
flowers are dipped in batter and fried. Flowers can also be candied.

Borage Flower Tea: handful of fresh leaves steeped in 1-2 quarts of water,
add one or two sprigs of spearmint. Makes a refreshing summer beverage.

Borage and Rosemary Wine: Steep a handful of fresh rosemary (or 2
tablespoons dried rosemary) and 2 tablespoons dried borage leaves in one
bottle of white wine for a week or more. Strain through cheesecloth or a
paper coffee strainer.

Candied Borage Flowers: Brush flowers with lightly beaten egg white, then
dip in superfine granulated sugar. Spread to dry.

--------------------------------------

From: Pat Peck arpeck.FREENET.SCRI.FSU.EDU

Borage vinegar

1 1/2 cups fresh borage flowers (I add a little of the stem and leaves for
more intense flavor), wash and blot dry.
4 cups white wine vinegar (do not use distilled white vinegar)

Place in large jar. (I use mason jars with plastic over jar lip under lid).
Heat vinegar to just before boil. Pour into jar. Stir. Place in dark place
for 3 to 4 weeks. Go by and stir from time to time.

P.S. You can cheat and add a tiny drop of blue food coloring if not blue
enough.

End of part 4 of 7
--
Henriette Kress Helsinki, Finland
Over 40 MB herbal .html files (FAQs, classic texts, articles, links), plus