GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spring - Maybe (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/214379-spring-maybe.html)

George Shirley[_3_] 06-02-2017 07:32 PM

Spring - Maybe

Noticed this morning returning from my ophthalmology appointment that
the oak trees are budding up. The kumquat tree was frost bit last month
and has dropped some leaves but is budding out again. The pear and fig
haven't started leafing out as yet. I did get out and prune the pear
tree so I suspect it will probably start flowering next month if not sooner.

Finally decided to get handicap plates and not use hang tags anymore.
Doctors think I need to use a cane regularly now and they suspect I will
be in a wheel chair in a few more years and I hope they're wrong about
the wheel chair and I really hope I get a few more years. G

The dawg still has allergies and takes some expensive meds that don't
seem to be working. I follow her around with tissues as the Boss Lady
gets PO'ed when the dawg snots on the furniture and floors. She wasn't
upset that children, grands, and great grands dropped something on the
floor. G

Spring is nearly sprung and I can't wait.

George

Frank 06-02-2017 07:43 PM

Spring - Maybe

On 2/6/2017 1:32 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Little concerned with warm days here as they are too early and buds on
fruit trees like peach can be lost resulting in a poor crop.

songbird[_2_] 06-02-2017 08:58 PM

Spring - Maybe

Frank wrote:
George wrote:

Spring is nearly sprung and I can't wait.

Little concerned with warm days here as they are too early and buds on
fruit trees like peach can be lost resulting in a poor crop.

and also if they don't have enough chill time to begin
with i don't think they do well.

we're still getting below freezing temperatures some
nights so i'm hoping that will keep the trees and plants
from budding out too early.

a few years ago most of the state lost the fruit crops
because of an early bloom and then killing frosts. i don't
have any fruit trees to worry about.

songbird

George Shirley[_3_] 06-02-2017 09:05 PM

Spring - Maybe

On 2/6/2017 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

This early in January we had two back to back 21 degree F freezes. Don't
think that here in SE Texas will drop another freeze this month or the
next. Those were the only hard freezes since 12/2012. None of the trees
were hit hard, just enough to drop leaves and the pear never lost all of
it's leaves.

Terry Coombs 08-02-2017 12:44 AM

Spring - Maybe

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Well , maybe it is and maybe it ain't ... it's 82° here today , and I
picked up some starter cells and a bag of potting soil while I was in town
for the wife's cold pills . I figger on starting some 'maters and maybe some
peppers in a week or so , haven't really thought much about it yet .
--
Snag

George Shirley[_3_] 08-02-2017 02:42 AM

Spring - Maybe

On 2/7/2017 5:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

84F was the high today, we actually got some rain today as the cars were
both wet a bit when I went out. More rain on the way but sparse. Our zip
code is 77375 if anyone wants to look at our weather. Generally we get a
lot of rain most years, a couple of times we've gotten over 100 inches
in a year, even without a hurricane, more if we have a few hurricanes.
We've rode out a few ourselves but, at our age now, we run north to a
friends place near the Arkansas\Louisiana border.

Supposed to be hot again tomorrow.

George