A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Gardening Discussions » Edible Gardening
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Greens



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29-03-2017, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 677
Default Greens

We're getting temps in the mid eighties nowadays so the lettuces, etc.
are starting to wilt. Guess we will be back to just eating chard, etc.
for summer greens soon.

The fruit trees are leafing out well and I am fertilizing this week as
per the ag agency says. Hoping for bumper crops later this year. I had
to prune a few limbs from the pear tree over the winter and it is doing
well. The fig tree was hit with some sort of borer but only on one limb
and I amputated that one. The kumquat has completely recovered from the
two hard freezes back to back in February. The avocado trees dear wife
planted from seed seem to be healthy and we hope there will be both male
and female trees there now. We brought a start of our lemon tree and now
have two of them growing. These trees are a cross between a lemon and a
grapefruit and the old one at the last house was very prolific and very
much spiny. The things grow spines up to four inches long so I will
probably be pruning spines again soon.

For a small property we have crowded in lots of good stuff to eat,
preserve, or give away and hope it goes well.

George
Ads
  #2  
Old 29-03-2017, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Greens

George Shirley wrote:

We're getting temps in the mid eighties nowadays so the
lettuces, etc. are starting to wilt. Guess we will be back
to just eating chard, etc. for summer greens soon.

The fruit trees are leafing out well and I am fertilizing
this week as per the ag agency says. Hoping for bumper
crops later this year. I had to prune a few limbs from the
pear tree over the winter and it is doing well. The fig
tree was hit with some sort of borer but only on one limb
and I amputated that one. The kumquat has completely
recovered from the two hard freezes back to back in
February. The avocado trees dear wife planted from seed
seem to be healthy and we hope there will be both male and
female trees there now. We brought a start of our lemon
tree and now have two of them growing. These trees are a
cross between a lemon and a grapefruit and the old one at
the last house was very prolific and very much spiny. The
things grow spines up to four inches long so I will
probably be pruning spines again soon.

For a small property we have crowded in lots of good stuff
to eat, preserve, or give away and hope it goes well.

George


The temperatures have been on a roller coaster here in
SE VA, but I took advantage of a warm and not-too-windy
day last week to get the broccoli and bok choy transplanted
into one garden bed and planted some snap peas and onion
sets in another.

I rushed to get 'em done since the weather folk were claiming
we were in for three days of rain, so of course, no rain
came until yesterday. At least not over my garden.

It looks like one of my three remaining blueberry plants
didn't make it through the winter. It was already a replacement
for a previous one that didn't make it. Next to it is a
bare spot where a different variety didn't make it even
after several tries.

I swear this piece of land is cursed! Four rose bushes didn't
make it into year two either on the other side of the backyard.

Meanwhile my under-the-plant-light starts are doing okay.
Four different varieties of tomato, parsley, and some
non-edible flowers (pansies and snapdragons). Well, maybe
the pansies are edible, but not by me.

Nyssa, who just wasted an hour plus gasoline trying to find
a station that has non-ethanol gas for my mowers using poor
directions from my neighbor

  #3  
Old 29-03-2017, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 677
Default Greens

On 3/29/2017 1:17 PM, Nyssa wrote:
The temperatures have been on a roller coaster here in
SE VA, but I took advantage of a warm and not-too-windy
day last week to get the broccoli and bok choy transplanted
into one garden bed and planted some snap peas and onion
sets in another.

I rushed to get 'em done since the weather folk were claiming
we were in for three days of rain, so of course, no rain
came until yesterday. At least not over my garden.

It looks like one of my three remaining blueberry plants
didn't make it through the winter. It was already a replacement
for a previous one that didn't make it. Next to it is a
bare spot where a different variety didn't make it even
after several tries.

I swear this piece of land is cursed! Four rose bushes didn't
make it into year two either on the other side of the backyard.

Meanwhile my under-the-plant-light starts are doing okay.
Four different varieties of tomato, parsley, and some
non-edible flowers (pansies and snapdragons). Well, maybe
the pansies are edible, but not by me.

Nyssa, who just wasted an hour plus gasoline trying to find
a station that has non-ethanol gas for my mowers using poor
directions from my neighbor

It rained most of the morning here and a few hours of the afternoon,
weather heads say more is coming. Looks to be we've received at least
three inches today.

My three year old blueberry plants haven't grown at all and have
supplied us with about four berries. They're coming out soon and I will
plant domestic dewberries and see how they work, I like dewberries
better than I do blueberries so it might be a win win.

Have you had your soil tested Nyssa? That can make all the difference
for your plantings. Our lot sits on top of five feet of clay, put in to
avoid the extra cost of flood insurance. We've been here since 12/12 and
I am going to spread more gypsum to break up the clay and help turn it
into dirt of a sort. Takes three or four years of annual gypsum
spreading to start breaking clay.

I gave up on gas mowers when we moved to this much smaller property.
Bought a Black and Decker battery operated mower and battery operated
weed eater, both are about five years old now and take very little care
and they live in the garage. The mower is self propelled and works well
as long as I remember to sharpen the blade every so often. We started
our marriage 57 years ago on ten acres and have, over those years,
downsized to a 6500 square foot lot with a 1960 square foot house and
even more in driveway and sidewalks. Our backyard just has enough room
to walk around the raised beds, fruit trees, and the 12X12 shed for our
"stuff." At our age that's about all we can handle anymore and I am
partially paralyzed by strokes some years ago plus a couple of heart
attacks. Dear wife is still spry so she does the outside stuff and I
cook and clean, sort of a backwards operation. G

George

  #4  
Old 30-03-2017, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Greens

George Shirley wrote:

On 3/29/2017 1:17 PM, Nyssa wrote:
The temperatures have been on a roller coaster here in
SE VA, but I took advantage of a warm and not-too-windy
day last week to get the broccoli and bok choy
transplanted into one garden bed and planted some snap
peas and onion sets in another.

I rushed to get 'em done since the weather folk were
claiming we were in for three days of rain, so of course,
no rain came until yesterday. At least not over my
garden.

It looks like one of my three remaining blueberry plants
didn't make it through the winter. It was already a
replacement for a previous one that didn't make it. Next
to it is a bare spot where a different variety didn't
make it even after several tries.

I swear this piece of land is cursed! Four rose bushes
didn't make it into year two either on the other side of
the backyard.

Meanwhile my under-the-plant-light starts are doing okay.
Four different varieties of tomato, parsley, and some
non-edible flowers (pansies and snapdragons). Well, maybe
the pansies are edible, but not by me.

Nyssa, who just wasted an hour plus gasoline trying to
find a station that has non-ethanol gas for my mowers
using poor directions from my neighbor

It rained most of the morning here and a few hours of the
afternoon, weather heads say more is coming. Looks to be
we've received at least three inches today.

My three year old blueberry plants haven't grown at all
and have supplied us with about four berries. They're
coming out soon and I will plant domestic dewberries and
see how they work, I like dewberries better than I do
blueberries so it might be a win win.

Have you had your soil tested Nyssa? That can make all the
difference for your plantings. Our lot sits on top of five
feet of clay, put in to avoid the extra cost of flood
insurance. We've been here since 12/12 and I am going to
spread more gypsum to break up the clay and help turn it
into dirt of a sort. Takes three or four years of annual
gypsum spreading to start breaking clay.

I gave up on gas mowers when we moved to this much smaller
property. Bought a Black and Decker battery operated mower
and battery operated weed eater, both are about five years
old now and take very little care and they live in the
garage. The mower is self propelled and works well as long
as I remember to sharpen the blade every so often. We
started our marriage 57 years ago on ten acres and have,
over those years, downsized to a 6500 square foot lot with
a 1960 square foot house and even more in driveway and
sidewalks. Our backyard just has enough room to walk
around the raised beds, fruit trees, and the 12X12 shed
for our "stuff." At our age that's about all we can handle
anymore and I am partially paralyzed by strokes some years
ago plus a couple of heart attacks. Dear wife is still
spry so she does the outside stuff and I cook and clean,
sort of a backwards operation. G

George

No, I haven't done a soil test here, but it should be
on the acid side of the range. The problem is more
likely drainage, or rather lack thereof. The area is
basically swampland with some parts a bit higher than
others.

I started out with four blueberry plants, all different
varieties. One pooped out and I replaced it...several
times. Another pooped out and I replaced it and it seemed
to be doing okay until now. So out of the eight plants
I've purchased, only two are actually still growing.

Ditto on roses on the other side of the yard. I bought
four patent roses, hybrid tea and grandiflora. All died
within two years. I haven't even tried to replace them
what with the current prices and varieties I've seen.

As for electric mowers, I've got just under 1/2 acre.
I first bought a rechargeable electric mower, but ran
into problems with it. One was that I don't have a
garage, so to charge the thing, I'd have to drag it
up the back steps into the kitchen to plug it in.
Then even when fully charged, it could only mow half
the yard before needing recharging again. So it was
taking 3-4 days to mow between charging, recharging,
and actually pushing the thing. I took it back and
got a gas-powered mower. It would take me anywhere
from 4-8 hours to mow the yard with the pusher depending
on how wet the ground was, hight of grass, and so on.
I *hate* grass!

Last fall a kind neighbor came across an older model
John Deere rider mower that only needed about $100 of
new parts and work to be usable. I did the work and I
now have it on a "long loan" so I only need to use the
pusher for about 1/4 of the yard. YAY! Less time spent
mowing and more time for battling weeds in the garden.

Overcast and chilly here today, so no outside work. Plus
half the day was used up taking a neighbor to a dentist
appointment and the pharmacy. Downpours are predicted
for tomorrow, so no outside work again.

Maybe next week....

Nyssa, who wishes the weather would make up its mind
whether or not it's spring already

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2017 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.