Old 22-04-2017, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is it too late to replant potato onions?

Hi All,

Greetings from the Pineapple Express!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express

We got soaked in rain and snow. Only four of my ~
20 potato onions sprouted. All of my shallots did,
but they got a lot less sky water. (Their bed is
in the shadow of a pine tree.)

Is it too late to replant potato onions? Or Should I
wait again until next fall and plant something else in
their bed for the time being.

I have HUGE garlic plants. They love all this snow and rain.
Yipee! There is nothing like fresh garlic from the garden.

Oh and I have got WEEDS! Inspecting my weeds, what is that
growing out the middle my weeds? MY WEEDS GOT WEEDS!!!

I have got dandelion MOUNDS! They are 18 inches around and
10 inches tall!!! I tried digging one up. There must be
10 individual root systems in each mound.

My Potato Onion bed got soaked in rain, frozen solid,
snowed on, thawed and turned into a lake, had
green stuff growing in it, got frozen again, more
rain, more snow, repeat. I am surprised anything survived.

One time, I went out to inspect, but my shoe started to sink,
so try again another day. I now walk on top of the weeds,
using them as stepping stones.

You win some you lose some.

:-)

-T

On the bright side, my favorite fishing hole will
have lots of water this year! Already caught one trout
out if it!

Old 23-04-2017, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Greetings from the Pineapple Express!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express

We got soaked in rain and snow. Only four of my ~
20 potato onions sprouted. All of my shallots did,
but they got a lot less sky water. (Their bed is
in the shadow of a pine tree.)

Is it too late to replant potato onions? Or Should I
wait again until next fall and plant something else in
their bed for the time being.

i'll have to let others answer this as i have
no experience with potato onions.

I have HUGE garlic plants. They love all this snow and rain.
Yipee! There is nothing like fresh garlic from the garden.

true. i have tons of it to weed out and eat.

Oh and I have got WEEDS! Inspecting my weeds, what is that
growing out the middle my weeds? MY WEEDS GOT WEEDS!!!

if the space isn't being used for something else
weeds are a better use than bare dirt. but if you
have any extra or old seeds around for garden
veggies or other ground covers you can sprinkle
them on the weedy areas so they can get going.

as the replacement plants sprout and grow you can
gradually weed out the weeds and let the new plants
shade them.

I have got dandelion MOUNDS! They are 18 inches around and
10 inches tall!!! I tried digging one up. There must be
10 individual root systems in each mound.

yes, if you don't get the whole root they can
return. good think dandelion greens are edible.

My Potato Onion bed got soaked in rain, frozen solid,
snowed on, thawed and turned into a lake, had
green stuff growing in it, got frozen again, more
rain, more snow, repeat. I am surprised anything survived.

One time, I went out to inspect, but my shoe started to sink,
so try again another day. I now walk on top of the weeds,
using them as stepping stones.

You win some you lose some.

yes, deer and rabbits are in good supply this
year.

On the bright side, my favorite fishing hole will
have lots of water this year! Already caught one trout
out if it!

i can't fish any longer and enjoy it, but i
did really enjoy walking the streams/rivers. i've
walked most/every river in the Keweenaw Peninsula
(many years ago now).

songbird
Old 28-04-2017, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/23/2017 08:38 AM, songbird wrote:
Oh and I have got WEEDS! Inspecting my weeds, what is that
growing out the middle my weeds? MY WEEDS GOT WEEDS!!!

if the space isn't being used for something else
weeds are a better use than bare dirt. but if you
have any extra or old seeds around for garden
veggies or other ground covers you can sprinkle
them on the weedy areas so they can get going.

as the replacement plants sprout and grow you can
gradually weed out the weeds and let the new plants
shade them.

I am trying to make that purselane, considered a weed by
those who haven't tasted it. Got to remove all the
other weeds first.

I spread purslane seeds all overt he place last fall.
Old 29-04-2017, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 04/23/2017 08:38 AM, songbird wrote:
Oh and I have got WEEDS! Inspecting my weeds, what is that
growing out the middle my weeds? MY WEEDS GOT WEEDS!!!

if the space isn't being used for something else
weeds are a better use than bare dirt. but if you
have any extra or old seeds around for garden
veggies or other ground covers you can sprinkle
them on the weedy areas so they can get going.

as the replacement plants sprout and grow you can
gradually weed out the weeds and let the new plants
shade them.

I am trying to make that purselane, considered a weed by
those who haven't tasted it. Got to remove all the
other weeds first.

I spread purslane seeds all overt he place last fall.

i've been eating some of it at times when i
am weeding. i'm not sure i want to eat a lot of
it as it can have a high oxalate. i do like it.
i also like that you can change the flavor by when
you harvest it.

there are plenty of other weeds around here too
which i try to keep after. a few i introduced by
mistake. luckily the worms like all of them after
they bake in the sun for a bit.

songbird
Old 29-04-2017, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/28/2017 06:31 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

How do you kill a dandelion such that you can bury
it and not have it sprout back up?

Old 30-04-2017, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
How do you kill a dandelion such that you can bury
it and not have it sprout back up?

dig it up and dry it out completely.
it may take some time depending upon
how large it is and how hot/dry your
weather is. make sure the flowers are
removed if they've set seeds (bury them
deeply enough where they'll not be
disturbed).

when we were out for a walk the other
day we came across a mutated dandelion.
i wanted a picture of it but did not
have the camera with me. it contained
a very large stalk with several flowers
forming the top. each flower was just
like a regular dandelion flower.

i wanted to bring the flower stalk
home so i could get pictures, but was
forbidden - not like i'd spread it around...

songbird

Too late to plant peas and onions? Zootal[_3_] Gardening 0 17-05-2008 04:19 AM
is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 3 10-11-2005 06:20 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water???? Brad and Julie Vaughn Lawns 9 04-09-2003 01:22 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 02:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 04:24 AM