Old 29-07-2018, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preserving peppers

Â* By freezing them , that is . I read about chopping/freezing them ,
just how do you do it ? Is it portioned out for whatever selected
purpose ? Frozen in a chunk and you hack off what you need ? Cut into
chunks that you freeze on a cookie sheet ? I have some that I want to
freeze , just ain't sure about the best way - we usually use them in
small quantities , though some of these should be good in stuff like
fajitas or stir fry .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-07-2018, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2018 1:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
ÂÂ* By freezing them , that is . I read about chopping/freezing them ,
just how do you do it ? Is it portioned out for whatever selected
purpose ? Frozen in a chunk and you hack off what you need ? Cut into
chunks that you freeze on a cookie sheet ? I have some that I want to
freeze , just ain't sure about the best way - we usually use them in
small quantities , though some of these should be good in stuff like
fajitas or stir fry .

I've tried freezing peppers (jalapenos, bells, bananas, Charlestons,etc)
and it worked out okay by putting about 3/4 to a cup full, chopped into
1/4" or so pieces, in a small freezer zip-loc bag with as much air
removed as possible. And now for the bad news. As long as the peppers
are going into something where texture isn't of great importance or they
are going to be finely chopped (chili, salsa, etc.) they're okay. But in
something like stir-fry, where you might want to retain some
fresh-from-the-garden tender/crisp texture, I've found them a little too
soft and mushy. Of course, the usual IMO and YMMV disclaimers apply here.

FrankV
Old 30-07-2018, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* By freezing them , that is . I read about chopping/freezing them ,
just how do you do it ? Is it portioned out for whatever selected
purpose ? Frozen in a chunk and you hack off what you need ? Cut into
chunks that you freeze on a cookie sheet ? I have some that I want to
freeze , just ain't sure about the best way - we usually use them in
small quantities , though some of these should be good in stuff like
fajitas or stir fry .

i oven roast them and then pack them into pint jars
in their own juice as i pack them down getting as
much air out as i can.

i cut them in chunky strips and put them on a large
cookie sheet to roast. then i roast them about an
hour until they start getting some burn on them. i
don't bother peeling the skin off. i eat it all a
little extra chewyness and fiber isn't going to kill
me.

they're so sweet they're like candy. i thaw them
out in the microwave and then put them in soups or
on top of other things or in sammiches, but more often
than anything i just stand there and eat them out of
jar.

songbird