Old 14-05-2019, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pick pick pick !

Â* Strawberries , that is . With today's haul we have enough for a batch
of jam ... half pints are in the dishwasher , berries are on the counter
ready to cap-n-smash .In addition , the corn is coming up nicely , I
will have to reseed a couple of spots though . Taters are boomin' , got
them hilled up nicely and mulched heavily with straw . I'm seeing a few
beans sprouting (blue lake bush) and the bunching onions are mostly up
now . The tomatoes got the cardboard then straw mulch treatment , trying
to prevent soil splashing on them to help prevent blight problems . And
yesterday I saw some of the beets have come up too . It's been a cool
wet spring , I feel like I'm behind - but I'm not really , summer's here
are pretty long and I won't worry about frost until early October .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 14-05-2019, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 9:53:22 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Our garden is doing well but we've had too much rain here in Maryland to get out and weed properly. The front lawn is getting near the point where I can bale it for the sheep to eat next winter.

Paul
Old 14-05-2019, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/14/2019 3:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Â* Straight to the compost heap ... luckily we've had enough breaks in
the rain for me to get things done as needed . I guess I oughta get the
vine stuff set out ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 15-05-2019, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/14/19 6:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Strawberries , that is . With today's haul we have enough for a batch
of jam ... half pints are in the dishwasher , berries are on the counter
ready to cap-n-smash .In addition , the corn is coming up nicely , I
will have to reseed a couple of spots though . Taters are boomin' , got
them hilled up nicely and mulched heavily with straw . I'm seeing a few
beans sprouting (blue lake bush) and the bunching onions are mostly up
now . The tomatoes got the cardboard then straw mulch treatment , trying
to prevent soil splashing on them to help prevent blight problems . And
yesterday I saw some of the beets have come up too . It's been a cool
wet spring , I feel like I'm behind - but I'm not really , summer's here
are pretty long and I won't worry about frost until early October .

Awesome!

What zone are you in?

Old 15-05-2019, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/14/2019 6:52 PM, T wrote:
On 5/14/19 6:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Strawberries , that is . With today's haul we have enough for a
batch of jam ... half pints are in the dishwasher , berries are on
the counter ready to cap-n-smash .In addition , the corn is coming up
nicely , I will have to reseed a couple of spots though . Taters are
boomin' , got them hilled up nicely and mulched heavily with straw .
I'm seeing a few beans sprouting (blue lake bush) and the bunching
onions are mostly up now . The tomatoes got the cardboard then straw
mulch treatment , trying to prevent soil splashing on them to help
prevent blight problems . And yesterday I saw some of the beets have
come up too . It's been a cool wet spring , I feel like I'm behind -
but I'm not really , summer's here are pretty long and I won't worry
about frost until early October .

Awesome!

What zone are you in?

Â* We're in 7a , north central Arkansas .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 15-05-2019, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Strawberries , that is . With today's haul we have enough for a batch
of jam ... half pints are in the dishwasher , berries are on the counter
ready to cap-n-smash .In addition , the corn is coming up nicely , I
will have to reseed a couple of spots though . Taters are boomin' , got
them hilled up nicely and mulched heavily with straw . I'm seeing a few
beans sprouting (blue lake bush) and the bunching onions are mostly up
now . The tomatoes got the cardboard then straw mulch treatment , trying
to prevent soil splashing on them to help prevent blight problems . And
yesterday I saw some of the beets have come up too . It's been a cool
wet spring , I feel like I'm behind - but I'm not really , summer's here
are pretty long and I won't worry about frost until early October .

sounds good to me.

strawberries are just starting to bloom here.
i'm hoping no more hard frosts, but we could still
get a few.

i am behind in some places, but that is because
i'm trying to get the fencing put up before the
lilacs and honeysuckles bloom and it's been raining
quite a bit. most the important stuff is done well
enough for now. just whatever extra gardens i can
get ready before planting the warm season crops is
nice to have done.

songbird
Old 15-05-2019, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Lovely lettuce here, mostly Tom Thumb, New Red Fire, and
Summertime. The basic materials for dinner salads.

Snap peas are growing like gangbusters, but no visible
blossoms yet. First planting of Blue Lake Bush Bean seeds
was a bust, so replanted a few days ago.

Broccoli was the only thing I didn't plant myself from
seed, and it too was a bust. It is all going to seed stalks
rather than forming nice, big heads. It's the first time I've
ever had that happen.

Lots of onions coming up, both from sets and seed starts.

Four tomato plants are in pots on the deck with a half-dozen
more to go out into the garden beds this weekend, weather
permitting.

The blueberry bushes have already blossomed and two of the
older plants are covered in tiny green blueberries to be.

Too much rain here and a portion of the backyard is mud with
grass on top. Can't get either the rider or push mower through
it, so I keep hoping for a dry spell.

More work to do!

Nyssa, who has a couple of new tricks up her sleeve in case
the deer return this summer

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2008 12:54 AM
Passion Fruit - When to pick jo United Kingdom 25 22-09-2003 04:08 AM
When to Pick Tamarrillos LTM Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
when to pick zane z mckay Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM
When are they ready to pick? Paul Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:33 AM