Old 31-05-2019, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What is wrong with my onions?

Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

something taller perhaps. do you have deer
around there?

anyways, they'll grow back...

songbird
Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/1/19 8:20 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

something taller perhaps. do you have deer
around there?

anyways, they'll grow back...

songbird

The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????
Old 03-06-2019, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

*shrug*

dunno... not much eats onions/garlic...

if you have pets i hope it isn't them as it's not
good for them.

songbird
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

wonder if you had hail? though it seems strange
to me that it would be limited damage to only a
few onions...

songbird

Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/3/19 4:32 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

wonder if you had hail? though it seems strange
to me that it would be limited damage to only a
few onions...

songbird

We have been having thunderstorms, but no hail as of yet
Old 04-06-2019, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/4/19 10:31 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/4/19 12:53 PM, T wrote:
AroundÂ*here,Â*IÂ*wouldÂ*suspectÂ*rabbits.

Do they eat the scapes too. My mystery browsers left
all the scapes

Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten
Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten

That is exactly what the cotton tails do to my wife's flowers!

Paul
Old 06-06-2019, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?
They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten

That is exactly what the cotton tails do to my wife's flowers!

Paul

I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

i wish that were true here, but the wabbits take
the beans right off at nearly ground level.

groundhogs will leave the bottom leaves alone
(they like the tender new growth).

songbird
Old 20-06-2019, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/6/2019 5:26 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

i wish that were true here, but the wabbits take
the beans right off at nearly ground level.

groundhogs will leave the bottom leaves alone
(they like the tender new growth).

songbird

damwabbits. Ugh.
The daring, dastardly little girl in me recently set off a stinkbomb
down a damwabbit hole. (or maybe just a woodchuck.) It was those kind
that poof up & then explode. Short while later my son was bouncing on
the trampoline, said "something stinks!". Not sure it ever reached the
damwabbit though. 3rd grade entertainment, o how I've missed it.