Old 23-06-2019, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I'itoi onion

for hot dry climates. from da wiki...

"a prolific multiplier onion cultivated in the Baboquivari Peak Wilderness, Arizona area. This small-bulb type has a shallot-like flavour and is easy to grow and ideal for hot, dry climates. Bulbs are separated, and planted in the fall 1 in below the surface and 12 in apart. Bulbs will multiply into clumps and can be harvested throughout the cooler months. Tops die back in the heat of summer and may return with heavy rains; bulbs can remain in the ground or be harvested and stored in a cool dry place for planting in the fall. The plants rarely flower; propagation is by division."

quoted from:

_Allium crop science_ : recent advances, edited by H.D. Rabinowitch and L. Currah

songbird
Old 23-06-2019, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/23/19 9:52 AM, songbird wrote:
for hot dry climates. from da wiki...

"a prolific multiplier onion cultivated in the Baboquivari Peak Wilderness, Arizona area. This small-bulb type has a shallot-like flavour and is easy to grow and ideal for hot, dry climates. Bulbs are separated, and planted in the fall 1 in below the surface and 12 in apart. Bulbs will multiply into clumps and can be harvested throughout the cooler months. Tops die back in the heat of summer and may return with heavy rains; bulbs can remain in the ground or be harvested and stored in a cool dry place for planting in the fall. The plants rarely flower; propagation is by division."

quoted from:

_Allium crop science_ : recent advances, edited by H.D. Rabinowitch and L. Currah

songbird

Cluster onions!

I was too cold for potato onions.

Can they take a cold zone 6c over winter?

Any nutrition data? Considered a yellow, white, red,
or sweet onion?
Old 24-06-2019, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

are you near Baboquivari Peak Wilderness in AZ?

they can survive that.

the multiplier onions i have growing now didn't
have any problems with our severe winter here last
year so i would guess it will survive about anything.

just make sure they are not planted in a poorly
drained area so they're not sitting in a puddle all
winter.

Any nutrition data? Considered a yellow, white, red,
or sweet onion?

it is a multiplier onion, so like a shallot or potato onion.
of the variety Aggregatum group. so if you can look up the
nutrition of the shallots or potato onions this one should
be close to those.

songbird
Old 24-06-2019, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/23/19 4:50 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

Now to find some for next year's planting!

Ate my first onion from the garden today. Wow! Way tastier than
store bought! The wind had broke its stock, so I harvested the
stock and ate it. When a two weeks had past and it did not
grow a new stock, I harvested the bulb. It was about the size
of a tennis ball.

YUM! Life is good!

-T

Old 24-06-2019, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/23/19 9:52 AM, songbird wrote:
for hot dry climates. from da wiki...

"a prolific multiplier onion cultivated in the Baboquivari Peak Wilderness, Arizona area. This small-bulb type has a shallot-like flavour and is easy to grow and ideal for hot, dry climates. Bulbs are separated, and planted in the fall 1 in below the surface and 12 in apart. Bulbs will multiply into clumps and can be harvested throughout the cooler months. Tops die back in the heat of summer and may return with heavy rains; bulbs can remain in the ground or be harvested and stored in a cool dry place for planting in the fall. The plants rarely flower; propagation is by division."

quoted from:

_Allium crop science_ : recent advances, edited by H.D. Rabinowitch and L. Currah

songbird

How big are these onions (diameter)?

Walnut sized is too hard on my hands to prepare.

Old 24-06-2019, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
How big are these onions (diameter)?

Walnut sized is too hard on my hands to prepare.

i don't know, sorry, but there are gadgets which
can be used to dice onions or you can just cook
or use them whole.

songbird
Old 24-06-2019, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

y.w.

Now to find some for next year's planting!

Ate my first onion from the garden today. Wow! Way tastier than
store bought! The wind had broke its stock, so I harvested the
stock and ate it. When a two weeks had past and it did not
grow a new stock, I harvested the bulb. It was about the size
of a tennis ball.

i love green onions and green garlic.

i'm not quite ready to lift and replant the onions
i have going now but i'm looking forwards to using
some of these to see how good they might be when they
are ready.

YUM! Life is good!

songbird
Old 24-06-2019, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/23/19 6:14 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
How big are these onions (diameter)?

Walnut sized is too hard on my hands to prepare.

i don't know, sorry, but there are gadgets which
can be used to dice onions or you can just cook
or use them whole.

songbird

it is the washing that is the big pain in the ass.
Hands start to cramp. This is why I no long do shallots
Old 24-06-2019, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
How big are these onions (diameter)?

Walnut sized is too hard on my hands to prepare.

Â*Â* i don't know, sorry, but there are gadgets which
can be used to dice onions or you can just cook
or use them whole.

Â*Â* songbird

it is the washing that is the big pain in the ass.
Hands start to cramp.Â* This is why I no long do shallots

They are bunches like shallots. too small for me to handle.

RATS !!!

https://www.rareseeds.com/i-itoi-oni...st-september-/

Old 24-06-2019, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
it is the washing that is the big pain in the ass.
Hands start to cramp. This is why I no long do shallots

how do you cope with garlic prep then as
the cloves can be small?

for the smaller cucumbers that have a lot of
bumps on them i use a scrubby or even a brush
to wash things.

songbird

Old 24-06-2019, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/24/19 4:37 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
it is the washing that is the big pain in the ass.
Hands start to cramp. This is why I no long do shallots

how do you cope with garlic prep then as
the cloves can be small?

Garlic prep is a labor of love!

for the smaller cucumbers that have a lot of
bumps on them i use a scrubby or even a brush
to wash things.

Back when I tried growing lemon cucumbers I scrubbed off
the stickers. I only got two per bush and gave up.
Old 25-06-2019, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
songbird writes:
T wrote:

y.w.

Now to find some for next year's planting!

Ate my first onion from the garden today. Wow! Way tastier than
store bought! The wind had broke its stock, so I harvested the
stock and ate it. When a two weeks had past and it did not
grow a new stock, I harvested the bulb. It was about the size
of a tennis ball.

i love green onions and green garlic.

I'm reclaiming garden space from the last year or two of less than
stellar maintenance, but I strongly hope that this will be the year
that I have space prepped for garlic.

In addition to being a garden milestone, garlic is the only non-meat
part of my canned pasta sauce that isn't from my garden. Well,
this year I need to re-establish the orageno, but I'm good (so far)
on basil.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have

Old 25-06-2019, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:

They are bunches like shallots. too small for me to handle.

Aha! That is what "bunching onions," as I have encountered elsewhere
means.

Thank you, odd collision.

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
Old 25-06-2019, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Drew Lawson wrote:
I'm reclaiming garden space from the last year or two of less than
stellar maintenance, but I strongly hope that this will be the year
that I have space prepped for garlic.

In addition to being a garden milestone, garlic is the only non-meat
part of my canned pasta sauce that isn't from my garden. Well,
this year I need to re-establish the orageno, but I'm good (so far)
on basil.

to make it easier on yourself make sure to plant
it far enough apart that you can easily get the
hoe between them.

mine are just now showing scapes. i leave them
on because they give large enough bulbules that
they make good starts for others.

songbird
Old 25-06-2019, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
T writes:

They are bunches like shallots. too small for me to handle.

Aha! That is what "bunching onions," as I have encountered elsewhere
means.

Thank you, odd collision.

there are a lot of terms in casual gardening and
vegetable gardening that are not precisely defined.

a green onion, a spring onion, scallions, chives
can be a number of different things. add in the
talk about potato onions, walking onions, egyptian
onions, bunches and such, then there are things like
ramps and odd or large garlics which some may
consider onions or not. and then we have the tulip
off to the side minding it's own business and garlic
chives.

it's fun to read up on and to have a few of this
and that to see what they grow like.

i'm trying to be patient with these bunching onions
here but it's hard to not want to go out and dig some
up and eat them in a stir fry (rite neow!)...

songbird

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
onion grass Tom & Vicki Australia 3 01-04-2003 10:32 AM
planting onion seeds zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:08 PM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM