Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Noam Avnery

Default Sungold (Cherry) tomato: sun or shade?

Hi.
I have some Sungold plants, and I think they're suffering from the heat.
This time of year it's 90F (32C) over here..
Is it true that Tomato plants prefer shade?
Thanks,

Noam
Old 07-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Bpyboy

I noticed mine didn't do too well last summer (when the sun actually came out
once in a while), and that the plants growing on the north part of my garden
seemed to do a lot better. (partially shaded from the southern plants)
I don't know if it's the shade, or not watering properly (the south ones maybe
dried out and had moisture that was always changing?)

anyways, it seems that afternoon sun frys the toms a lot worse than the morning
sun.

just a thought,
let me know how they turn out.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Glenna Rose

writes:
Hi.
I have some Sungold plants, and I think they're suffering from the heat.
This time of year it's 90F (32C) over here..
Is it true that Tomato plants prefer shade?
Thanks,

Noam

Think southern California, eastern Washington.

My grandparents grew tomatoes in eastern Washington for market (Portland's
Farmers' Market back in the fifties when it was where all the restaurants,
etc. bought their produce). Literally none of their tomato plants had a
trace of shade, not even a chance, and the temperatures were above 90
degrees F for weeks at a time, often over 100. Tomato seeds are
identified as full sun.

If tomato plants did, indeed, prefer shade, the price of tomatoes in the
store would be significantly higher, probably priced out of the range of
the average consumer.

Water is the key issue. It seems a good possibility that they are not
getting enough water if they are suffering (then there is soil condition
regarding nutrients). The ground around them needs to be soaked
thoroughly when they are watered, that doesn't mean 15 minutes of water or
a circle of two feet in diameter. You should be able to put a spade into
the ground and find moist soil all the way down (except the top inch or
two if you haven't watered in the last couple of days) anywhere near them.
The mistake I see people around me make all the time is water enough so
the soil "looks wet" and stop when the poor roots more than a couple
inches down didn't have a chance at any water. You might very well be
shocked if you turn a spade of dirt over and see you really have dry dirt
four inches down and not nice moist soil. People report all the time that
their garden does better after a rain . . . that seems likely since all
the soil is getting wet and not just spots here and there. Keep in mind
when you are watering that the moisture will "spread out" in the ground
(think sponge) and if the surrounding soil isn't also wet, most of the
usable moisture will be basically gone within hours.

If the plants "look wilty" at the end of the day after a hot sunny day but
are healthy looking later in the evening or in the morning, it is likely a
transpiration (think that's the word) issue. When the evaporation rate is
greater than the absorbtion rate, the plant will look wilted but will
recover as soon as the sun is down and it has a chance to "catch up" with
the evaporation rate. Or so I've been told.

The tomato plants in my garden that get the most sun (all the midday and
late day sun) do better than the others. My tomato plants do very well
overall, much better than those of most people I know. My belief is that
the water is the key factor rather than solely the sun. We are blessed
with good drainage here so it would be nearly impossible to over water.
My usual watering routine is about once a week with a soaker system which
is "running" at least four hours, usually six; the garden is well watered
so all plants get full benefit of the water. This is far more effective
for my garden than watering more often for shorter lengths of times. As
with everything, it depends on your particular situation. Sun, drainage,
soil (fertilely and organic composition), water, and tender loving care
each play a major factor. Yes, TLC. That has to be why my garden has
done as well as it has, I stumble along in my ignorance and grow stuff . .
.. but every plant is loved and fussed over. g That, and my yard is
blessed, it has to be or it'd be a disaster. :-)

Just my comments to add to the others.

Happy tomato gardening.

Glenna

Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Colin Malsingh

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:22:24 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

Water is the key issue. It seems a good possibility that they are not
getting enough water if they are suffering ...

...You should be able to put a spade into
the ground and find moist soil all the way down (except the top inch or
two if you haven't watered in the last couple of days) anywhere near them.

Agreed.

I don't know if they are available where you are but I got hold of
some green plastic rings that are sold for people who use "growbags".
These things have a central column about 8 inches deep and a
surrounding ring about 4 inches deep with small holes at the bottom.

Cross section - hope it works in the font your computer uses:

| |
___\ | Soil | /___
\__ _| |_ __/ Soil

The idea is to push this grow ring into the soli in your container (or
in the garden) and fill the central column with soil/mixture, finally
putting your plant in a bit like a normal plant pot.

The central column then encourages the plant to grow roots straight
downwards. In the meantime, apart from an initial splash in the centre
to get the plant going, you just put water in the outer ring.

You can normally get a good couple of gallons in the ring at a time.
The small holes at the bottom let the water out slowly, just in the
area around where the roots are.

The advantage is that you can dump a full can of water on each plant
quickly and move on (try that on ordinary soil and you get the
situation that Glenna pointed out - the water just spreads all over
the surface). The alternative is putting on a few cups, letting it
soak in, putting on some more etc etc.With the ring method, the roots
are encouraged to grow down, increasing the plant's self-sufficiency.

I have used these in both growbags in a greenhouse and in open soil in
the garden. I have had success with both tomatoes and Runner Beans.
This year I am also trying them with Okra. It just saves me time.

Like many gardening things, not essential, but may help.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Stephen Younge

If the plants "look wilty" at the end of the day after a hot sunny day but
are healthy looking later in the evening or in the morning, it is likely a
transpiration (think that's the word) issue. When the evaporation rate is
greater than the absorbtion rate, the plant will look wilted but will
recover as soon as the sun is down and it has a chance to "catch up" with
the evaporation rate. Or so I've been told.

So you're saying that if the tomato plants look "slightly wilty" almost
every afternoon at 3pm, but perk right up (without additional watering) by
6pm, this does not harm them or reduce production?

Cheers,
Stephen

Old 08-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:
If the plants "look wilty" at the end of the day after a hot sunny day

but
are healthy looking later in the evening or in the morning, it is

likely a
transpiration (think that's the word) issue. When the evaporation rate

is
greater than the absorbtion rate, the plant will look wilted but will
recover as soon as the sun is down and it has a chance to "catch up"

with
the evaporation rate. Or so I've been told.

So you're saying that if the tomato plants look "slightly wilty" almost
every afternoon at 3pm, but perk right up (without additional watering) by
6pm, this does not harm them or reduce production?

That's what I was told and, so far, it has proven out in my garden. It's
just that the outgoing water is more than the incoming water. Though it
has not obviously affected my plants' production, I find it difficult to
believe it cannot have some effect as it seems like it would be stressful
to them. Since there is a certain amount of surface area involved, I
guess it's part of nature and must be accepted. In the beginning when it
happened, I'd turn on the water (soaker system) and it made no difference
at all in their immediate appearance so it left me to conclude that it is
likely accurate. Remember, this is only if the plants are getting proper
water that it is just the evaporation rate vs. "take-up" rate issue; if
the plants are underwatered, they will not recover without additonal water.

I won't go out on a limb here and say it's absolutely so because I'm not a
biologist. It's what was told to me, and it appears to be true in my yard.
As always, YMMV.

Glenna

Old 09-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Noydb

Stephen Younge wrote:

If the plants "look wilty" at the end of the day after a hot sunny day
but are healthy looking later in the evening or in the morning, it is
likely a
transpiration (think that's the word) issue. When the evaporation rate
is greater than the absorbtion rate, the plant will look wilted but will
recover as soon as the sun is down and it has a chance to "catch up" with
the evaporation rate. Or so I've been told.

So you're saying that if the tomato plants look "slightly wilty" almost
every afternoon at 3pm, but perk right up (without additional watering) by
6pm, this does not harm them or reduce production?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen,
Yes this does induce stress on them ... it's just that there's nothin
g that can be done about it. What happens is that the water is lost faster t
han it can be replaced by the roots. Later, when the rate of loss moderates
as the sun becomes less intense, the roots are able to keep up again.

About the only thing you can do is make certain the soil stays moist.
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 09-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Noam Avnery

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll post an update when I'll have news.

Noam