What's eating my cucumbers?

Old 11-06-2003, 02:32 AM
James Mayer

Default What's eating my cucumbers?

They are little worms that get in the cucumbers and in the stems,
killing the stems and boring holes all through the fingerlings. What
are they do and what I do to get rid of them, and what do they look
like as adults?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Pat Kiewicz

James Mayer said:

They are little worms that get in the cucumbers and in the stems,
killing the stems and boring holes all through the fingerlings. What
are they do and what I do to get rid of them, and what do they look
like as adults?

Possibly pickleworms. Not a pest I see here in Michigan. The adult is a moth.
Bt is likely to be of limited value as the larvae move into the fruit.

See: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...1e/veg001e.htm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 11-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On 10 Jun 2003 18:31:42 -0700, (James Mayer) wrote:

They are little worms that get in the cucumbers and in the stems,
killing the stems and boring holes all through the fingerlings. What
are they do and what I do to get rid of them, and what do they look
like as adults?

My first guess would be cucumber beetles. [the larva feed on stems &
roots]
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...it_Beetles.htm

My vote for control is an insecticide that lists cucumber beetle as a
species it kills applied as the package directs.

Jim
Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 PM
FarmerDill

If the cucumbers have littles holes in them surrounded by frass, you have
encountered the dreaded pickleworm, which over winters in Texas and Florida,
then migrates North with warm weather, Only natural control is get the crop in
and out before they arrive which I am able to do here in GA. None of the
unrestricted insecticides will touch them.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Seeker

They are little worms that get in the cucumbers and in the stems,
killing the stems and boring holes all through the fingerlings. What
are they do and what I do to get rid of them, and what do they look
like as adults?

They grow up looking strangely like politicians when adults.

Old 13-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

James Mayer said:

(FarmerDill) wrote in message

8.aol.com...
If the cucumbers have littles holes in them surrounded by frass, you have
encountered the dreaded pickleworm, which over winters in Texas and Florida,

I live in Florida. I guess that I'm stuck with them all year.

I suppose you could grow parthenocarpic cukes (don't need pollination) under
screens or row covers -- if you were sure there were no pickleworm pupae to
hatch out under your covers.

'Cool breeze' is suitable for pickling

https://www.territorial-seed.com/tes...ers/CU295.html

'Sweet success' is a nice slicer

http://www.seminisgarden.com/popular/sweetsuccess.html

There are other parthenocarpic varieties.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-06-2003, 04:56 PM
FarmerDill

According to the package, sevin is an effective control if
applied more than 7 days apart and no more than 6 times per crop.

I have tried Sevin, Its life spna is too short to be effective, It is also
deadly to bees, so you have use a spray late in the evening. The extension
services recommendation is Thiodan but it is also very toxic to bees and I
would not recommend it especially on a cucumber.
Old 20-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Larry

"James Mayer" wrote in message
m...
They are little worms that get in the cucumbers and in the stems,
killing the stems and boring holes all through the fingerlings. What
are they do and what I do to get rid of them, and what do they look
like as adults?

I had the same problem and used BT, it worked great! I bought it under the
name thoughocide and it's supposed to work on almost any bug that has a
caterpillar like larva. By the way I also live in Florida.
Larry L.

Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 AM
lois

Try this - in an odorless spice jar with an airtight cap, mix 50-50
flour [any kind] and sevin. Its a bait [I tape all the holes but one
from underneath that cap for controlled pouring]

Sprinkle tiny dots about 2-3 inches apart near the stem. Repeat as
necessary.

Label well and store dry

Old 09-07-2003, 09:08 PM
zxcvbob

FarmerDill wrote:
According to the package, sevin is an effective control if
applied more than 7 days apart and no more than 6 times per crop.

I have tried Sevin, Its life spna is too short to be effective, It is also
deadly to bees, so you have use a spray late in the evening. The extension
services recommendation is Thiodan but it is also very toxic to bees and I
would not recommend it especially on a cucumber.

I was gonna say endosulfan, then realized that's the same thng as Thiodan.

I read this from North Carolina State University:
"The most important economic damage caused by the pickleworm is to the
fruit. Young pickleworms usually feed for a time among small leaves at
the growing tips of vines or within blossoms. A favorite place is the
large staminate flowers of squash where larvae hide under the ring of
stamens at the base of flowers. When about half grown, pickleworms
normally bore into the sides of fruits or stems and continue to feed
there, causing internal damage and producing soft excrement. Both young
and old fruits are attacked, but they prefer young fruits before the
rind has hardened."

So Bt *might* work before the worms bore into the fruits.

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

critters keep eating my tomatoes fantabular Gardening 6 16-04-2003 05:56 PM
Pest eating leaves Tom North Carolina 2 15-04-2003 11:32 PM
Cucumbers? Donna in Idaho! Edible Gardening 7 27-03-2003 03:44 AM
Eating Organics Cuts Kids' Pesticide Loads Tom Jaszewski Gardening 6 03-02-2003 01:59 PM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM