Old 05-03-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Hot Sauce Insect Repellent?

Will spraying the leaves of my plants keep leaf-eating bugs away from them?

Old 05-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Timber

Sometimes but not always, some pests love hot pepper spray and you have to
repeat applications all the time!
Companion planting works much better.
Try to encourage beneficial insects or use a wash of safe dish washing
detergent to control them.

I have tried many hot pepper sprays and find they simply don't perform how
they say they should not to mention the hassle of constant application
required. Now if you are looking to discourage animals they work, but
planting them and rubbing a crushed one around works better!

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

om...

Old 09-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Henriette Kress

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:03:22 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

We've had good luck with a homemade one (water from boiling hot peppers,
canola oil, and a drop or two of detergent) which repels rabbits quite
well. But you have to use it early in the season before they get used to
eating the plants. Once they've started eating them, it takes several
applications to deter them.

I just put powdered cayenne on carrots and lettuce (not all of it, just
that bit in the row where they'd chomped down) that hares have started
on... they didn't come back.

Henriette

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
For Charlie - hot sauce Rachael Simpson Gardening 57 09-06-2007 08:37 PM
good hot sauce recipes? Bpyboy Edible Gardening 2 07-06-2003 09:20 PM
Hot Sauce Question Steve Edible Gardening 0 23-02-2003 04:27 AM