Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
brsher

Default Should Watermelons Be Sheltered From The Sun

Will exposing them to the sun help or hurt their development?

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Lisa J Gehl

I live in Phoenix and have some watermelons growing. I don't many places you can get more sun and hot weather. They get sun throughout the majority of the day but no problems with them.

--
Lisa

From: "brsher"
Newsgroups: rec.garden

Will exposing them to the sun help or hurt their development?

They do not need any shelter nor have I ever heard of a grower doing any such
thing.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM

LISA!
Hi, from a fellow phoenician.
I can't get my watermelons to do squat. They are sugar babies. The cantaloupe was horrid as well.
What are you doing? Soil, foods, water, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Roz
Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Lisa J Gehl

Hey Roz and fellow Phoenician! hehe

This was my first year growing watermelon,I have the moon and star variety. I'm not sure how many you are typically supposed to get but I've had 3 large ones going so far, waiting for the vines to dry up.

I planted about 3 or 4 transplants that I grew myself from seed. Since we have DRY soil I've been following recommendations of a family member and mixing in some Omni compost. You can find that at Home Depot or similar store. I then sprinkled some of that slow release fertilizer for veggies and mixed it in. It seemed like they took a while to flourish, maybe a month or so but now they are everywhere and I can't keep track of where they trail. lol

I am also paranoid about what vegetables I plant next to each other. Kinda like to have some type of companion planting going on. I don't know if that helps or not but that's what I do. Also, perhaps, giving them lots of room helps.

I hope this helps a little.

--
Lisa Gehl

MSN -

Yahoo - lisajgehl
(602) 354-3402
MST-Arizona Time

Old 11-08-2003, 08:03 PM

Thanks, Lisa. Maybe it was the variety I chose.
roz