What eats radish leaves?

Old 30-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Jayne

Default What eats radish leaves?

My daughter is growing radishes & is fed up that there are teeny little
holes in the leaves as she wanted to enter her radishes in the village WI
flower show competition next month - any idea what is eating them?
Also there are some very small yellow eggs on the leaves - I'm wondering
what they are too - ladybirds?

Thanks for any replies!
Jayne

Old 30-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Penny Morgan

Flea Beetles are very tiny beetles that love to chew through the radish
leaves. Organic gardeners use radishes planted between other crops to draw
the beetles to the radishes rather than their prized vegetables. They will
not prohibit the growth of the actual radish, but the leaves look pretty
lacy. Sorry about the flower show - maybe you can put a sign that says they
were organically grown. I'm not sure what the eggs are. They may be
ladybugs.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 30-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:25:55 +0000 (UTC), "Jayne"
wrote:

My daughter is growing radishes & is fed up that there are teeny little
holes in the leaves as she wanted to enter her radishes in the village WI
flower show competition next month - any idea what is eating them?
Also there are some very small yellow eggs on the leaves - I'm wondering
what they are too - ladybirds?

The small yellow eggs sound like cabbage butterfly eggs to
me - they are the small white butterflies you see fluttering
around the cabbage-family plants (which includes radishes).
The eggs hatch into worms that eat round holes in the
leaves.

Flea beetles also eat holes in the leaves.

It's probably too late for these particular radishes now,
but next season, the damage from the cabbage worms can be
avoided by covering the plants with floating row cover or by
spraying them with Bt - a bacterial-disease that affects
only insects. One brand of Bt is called 'Dipel'.

I don't think Bt is effective against flea beetles.
Sprinkling a little diatomaceous earth around the plants (to
kill existing flea beetles near the plants) then covering
them with floating row cover is effective. You need to be
very careful with the row cover, to fasten it down very
carefully. Then you can water right through it.

Or you could try growing the radishes in a container on your
porch or deck and hope the flea beetles won't find it.

This seems to me like an awful lot of trouble for radishes
(which I don't even like), but maybe it's worth it for a
blue ribbon at the fair!

Pat
Old 31-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Jayne

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the replies. The radishes are in a pot on the patio so maybe
they could be covered up - I've already told her that the radishes will be
fine but the leaves won't be pretty.
Come to think of it - I have seen a number of white butterflies in the
garden so maybe the eggs are from them.

Jayne

Old 31-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Jayne

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
. com...
Flea Beetles are very tiny beetles that love to chew through the radish
leaves. Organic gardeners use radishes planted between other crops to

draw
the beetles to the radishes rather than their prized vegetables. They

will
not prohibit the growth of the actual radish, but the leaves look pretty
lacy. Sorry about the flower show - maybe you can put a sign that says

they
were organically grown. I'm not sure what the eggs are. They may be
ladybugs.

That's the trouble with trying to grow organically - we have to let the bugs
have some too!

Jayne