Old 31-01-2003, 07:22 PM
zxcvbob

Default beet greens

Jill McQuown wrote:

(adding back the original question/attribution)

"P Haine" wrote in message
As I was about to cook up a mess of fresh beet greens when our neighbor
suggested they might contain oxalic acid -- the same chemical that makes
rhubarb leaves inedible. Does anyone know if this is true? Sheldon?

Peg

"Patscga" wrote in message
It was a diet staple during the Depression. I know; I was there. And I'm
still here!
Pat in Atlanta

The same neighbor of Peg's probably didn't know he/she could eat cooked
dandylion greens as a diet staple, which my father did quite extensively as
a kid growing up in the American Depression.

Jill

Purslane, a common garden weed with rosettes of fleshy stems and leaves,
makes an interesting addition to salads and stirfries. It is supposed to
be *very* nutritious. It just tastes green to me. :-)

Best regards,
Bob
Old 01-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Setzler

The reason purslane is so good for you is that it is high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
I started eating it last year, and like it in salads and plan to plant some of
the golden purslane this year.

susan