Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 AM
MOM PEAGRAM

Default Bay Laurel

I've just pruned my Bay Laurel cause I want it to bush out a little. This
is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all
the small branches, trimmed the leaves, dipped the stem in rooting hormone
and have half in a good starter soil and half in water.

Anyone have the correct way to propagate Bay?

Old 22-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Loki

il Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:55:09 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

I've just pruned my Bay Laurel cause I want it to bush out a little. This
is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all
the small branches, trimmed the leaves, dipped the stem in rooting hormone
and have half in a good starter soil and half in water.

Anyone have the correct way to propagate Bay?

Ahh, the best way is to keep those prunings. is it too late? Just
turn them into little sticks with a few leaves and put into cutting
mix with a humid environment. I don't think the soil is meant to be
wet like that, just damp. it's the air that's meant to be moist.
They'll rot if too wet. Mine are in a glass of water waiting for me
to get round to it.... I'll look up my propagating notes later.
--
Cheers,

Old 22-04-2004, 04:09 PM
MOM PEAGRAM

Basically, that's what I did with the ones in a starter medium. I'll put a
bag over it now.

Thanks

Old 22-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Loki

il Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:41:22 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

Basically, that's what I did with the ones in a starter medium. I'll put a
bag over it now.

Cuttings are complex (although for the roses I just stuck 'em in the
ground over winter)
.. My book says propagate in summer or autumn. There will be a 50-75%
strike rate and will take 30 days or more.
--
Cheers,

Old 23-04-2004, 08:02 AM
The Watcher

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:55:09 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM"
wrote:

I've just pruned my Bay Laurel cause I want it to bush out a little. This
is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all
the small branches, trimmed the leaves, dipped the stem in rooting hormone
and have half in a good starter soil and half in water.

Anyone have the correct way to propagate Bay?

I've discovered(by accident) that the best place to propagate softwood cuttings
over the winter is on the north side of my house(in the shade of the house). I
put the cuttings(dipped in water, then rooting hormone) in potting soil in the
shade on the north side of my house and they root well there. This year I
started 23 peach cuttings. 22 of them took root.